Author Topic: Citrus trees on FD rootstock still dormant!  (Read 3688 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Citrus trees on FD rootstock still dormant!
« on: July 12, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
I can't get a Meyer lemon or Rio Red grapefruit to push foliage.  Yes, we've had a cold winter and very cool spring but my greenhouse temps peak in the 90's so heat isn't the issue.  My water source is about 76F.  I'm blaming it on FD rootstock, which I'm coming to hate compared to sour orange.  It not only shuts down when the roots get cold in winter but doesn't support "normal" growth. 

Any ideas of how to push them?  I've used high N foods and that hasn't helped.

As an aside, the new Arctic Frost satsuma is doing very well.  Supposed to be super cold hardy and delicious - down to 10F.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Re: Citrus trees on FD rootstock still dormant!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »
bump, anyone?   Is FD the culprit for such screwed up growth (or lack of it)?

Meyer lemon is FINALLY pushing foliage.  Here it is late July and the Rio Red has been dormant since last fall.  >:(

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »
Not sure why your trees have not put out a flush so far.  However one thing is for certain, and that is they can't begin a new flush until the tree's root system has finished it growth period.    Good things happen to those who wait.  The late summer flush normally is around August.  - Millet

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
Got it, and also got mites.  Can't believe the webs I saw on a lime this morn.  Treated with Forbid 4F, the silver bullet for mite control in all stages of development FYI.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »
After agressively bare-rooting some purchased trees a year ago many took 5 months or more to put out new growth.  Once they did it has been huge flushes ever since.  I no longer worry when trees haven't shown growth in a while so long as there are no signs of decline.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
A good "insecticide" for a grower is Horticultural Oil.  Horticulture Oil is a paraffin based liquid that kills mites, aphids, white fly,  and mealy bug, the big 4 that attack citrus.  Horticultural Oils are 100 percent safe for people, and  is even also OK for organic culture.  Works very well. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
I can vouch for hort oil, also.  I have been using it to kill mealybugs that show up in the winter greenhouse.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:27:46 AM »
Since we're talking insect control, my toolbox contains imidocloprid (Adonis 75WP) for leafminers, aphids, etc. and Forbid 4F for mites.  It only takes 0.4 - 1 ml/gal. of Forbid to control ALL stages of mite development and ALL classes of mites, not just the common 2 spotted family.  It is not a poison but functions like an oil or soap, is translaminar with no insect resistance issues. 

Horticultural oil is fine if you're spraying in moderate temps and doing it quite often.  Hit the mid to upper 90's or 100F like we do and you'll have phytotoxicity issues plus it doesn't get a common citrus pest - leafminers.

Mark

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
After agressively bare-rooting some purchased trees a year ago many took 5 months or more to put out new growth.  Once they did it has been huge flushes ever since.  I no longer worry when trees haven't shown growth in a while so long as there are no signs of decline.

What rootstock were they on?  I have a thorny key lime on it's own roots that flushes and flowers well.  It's growing and producing like a weed.  I'm not really liking FD rootstock for many reasons.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »
Some were from Fourwinds so I assume Cuban Shaddock.  Others are on unknown rootstock, I bought them from Hope Depot or Lowes.  They are clearly grafted, though.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:36 PM »
Mark In Texas, I forgot to ask, did you have some carry over fruit remaining on the trees that have not yet flushed new growth? - Millet

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »
Mark In Texas, I forgot to ask, did you have some carry over fruit remaining on the trees that have not yet flushed new growth? - Millet

Like I said, the weather was really cold so yes, I did have very late hanging fruit during the periods of when there should be none and the trees should be blooming.  Moro blood was not picked until April-May so it didn't bloom.  (Un-frickin' believable fruit I might add....pure nectar and dark blood red).    Oro Negro cado hung 2 months past when it should have so it missed the spring bloom season.   Thornless lime was literally white with blooms in late winter, all dropped including the leaves. Nice flush of leaves, no blooms/fruit.  Everything is out of whack.   :(

The Rio Red is holding a few fruit and it looks like it just may be getting ready to push new foliage.

Thanks

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
Fruit left hanging on a citrus tree inhibit the budbreak of both vegetative and floral buds at two key stages.  First, young developing fruit inhibit budbreak in the summer and early fall, reducing the number of new summer and fall shoots (branches) that develop, and thus reducing the number of nodes on which would have produce floral branches the following spring.  Second, mature fruit inhibit the spring's budbreak, and the  subsequent development of the predominantly floral shoots (branches),  as well as the relatively small number of vegetative branches that characterize the spring bloom,  thereby further reducing the floral  intensity of the bloom the following year. Winter fruit removal results in a shift toward more floral and fewer vegetative branches. Your trees not blooming had nothing to do with the Fling Dragon rootstock, but rather with fruit left hanging on the tree for an extended time.. BTW I've been to Fredericksburg Texas, a town of many stone buildings.  I liked Fredericksburg, its anice city with friendly people. I visited the Admiral Chester Nimitz museum  while I was there.  - Millet
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:20:08 AM by Millet »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »
Second, mature fruit inhibit the spring's budbreak, and the  subsequent development of the predominantly floral shoots (branches),

That's the kicker Millet, the fruit wasn't mature so I had a decision to make - either pick premature fruit (why bother to grow if you can't enjoy the fruit) hoping to promote a natural cycle of flowering come spring or leave it be.  Catch 22.

You wouldn't recognize FBG.  Second to Napa regarding wine tourism, over 100 restaurants for a small city, lots of tourism business, 400 Bed&Breakfasts, new Texas Wine and Food Culinary Institute going in, new Texas Rangers Museum, enology/vineyard program at our local college, etc.  Yep, the Nimitz is world class, especially since they expanded it 3 years ago. 

Thanks for the input!  I appreciate it.