Author Topic: Zanthoxylum simulans - szechuan peppercorn  (Read 3519 times)

organik

• 9b
    • View Profile
Zanthoxylum simulans - szechuan peppercorn
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:47:40 PM »
is anybody growing this plant? would like to buy a clone

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Zanthoxylum simulans - szechuan peppercorn
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
If you'd like fruit, you'll need at least a couple (a pair) -- they are dioecious.

John

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:10:06 PM »
If you'd like fruit, you'll need at least a couple (a pair) -- they are dioecious.

John
Hi John, I think you asked about getting some fresh seeds from me before earlier this year when I first asked if  Zanthoxyum simulan was dieocious or monoecious ? Well, I have since moved and couldn't take my plant with me. But before I moved out of state, it did produce a good amount of berries by itself.

When it first started bearing a few cluster of berries, was at about 4-5 years old from seeds,. Then the same thing happen again for the next couple of years, till last year, it finally put out a good amount of berries, but sadly they weren't ripen in time to send some your way.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »
Perhaps there are some monoecious individuals or perhaps you had some native species near by that could pollinate it.  From a research article on the genus Zanthoxylum: "Moreover, the genus is dioecious, and therefore male and female trees must be in close proximity in order for pollination to take place and seed setting."

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
Perhaps there are some monoecious individuals or perhaps you had some native species near by that could pollinate it.  From a research article on the genus Zanthoxylum: "Moreover, the genus is dioecious, and therefore male and female trees must be in close proximity in order for pollination to take place and seed setting."
Could be that, but the times when I had the plant. I moved about a few times and each time, there were no other plants or person/s that also had a tree/s  that I know of. But could also have been a close one near by and I just didn't know it. Either way, I no longer have it and won't know if it's a mono or di.

Would have been great if I could have brought it up north to Wisconsin and test  to see if it's a mono or di plant, but will never know now..........oh well  ::)

organik

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:05:49 PM »
seng appreciate all the leads you've provided. i'll check it out and let you know how it goes. again, thanks for all your help.

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
Zanthoxylum simulans is monoecious species. Previous I grow Z. piperitum and I have no fruit, only flowers occured and then nothing else. But Z. simulans fruit without problems.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
Everything I have seen on it states it is dioecious.  However, I just found one source that claims that female tree may be able to still bear smaller crops without a pollinator:
"Szechuan pepper tree seems to be fairly self-fertile, certainly much more so than our sansho trees, which are strictly dioecious. A greater harvest is had by more than one tree, but not always necessary for berry production. Female plants can self-pollenize so this may explain single trees bearing fruit. Our plants are not sexed, so we cannot guarantee any single plant will produce berries"

from this web page:
http://www.bayflora.com/szpetr1.html

So I guess if you can get a female plant you may still get some fruit even without a pollinator. 

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:03 PM »
N/P Sam, glad I can help you out

Here are the berries from last year around June

One question, are Prickly ash tree and the Szechuan pepper corn the same thing or different?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk