Author Topic: Satsuma ? Mandarins ? clementines?what is what?  (Read 4011 times)

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
Satsuma ? Mandarins ? clementines?what is what?
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
Satsuma ?????
Mandarins ?????
clementines??????

what kind of fruit do i want ?????   the more i read the more i get lost and confused i get ????????????
i wood like some one to help me understand  what is what??
Satsuma are Mandarins
clementines are Mandarins

what make a Mandarins  a clementines or a Satsuma ???? or im i all wrong??
thank for your time ...
swimmingfree

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
Re: Satsuma ? Mandarins ? clementines?what is what?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »
you forgot about tangerines, they mandarins too...it might be easier for us to help you if you told us what you were looking for in a fruit. as in sweet sour tart, big small, rich flavor, whatever...

most all the satsumas are great
the only clementines ive had are from walmart, and id be better off eating cardboard, so I cant speak of them
some of the mandarins are the best youll ever eat according to most people on this forum...page, ponkan...

so what are you looking for?
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »
redster
clementines are up here now and yes there flat to say the least ...  im looking for a nice small fruit that is good and seed free and ezey to peel   ..  im looking at the ccpp and its 15 dollars  a stick plus shipping dont need the stick now its to cold up here ;D ;D ;D...   just looking for some input on whats what .....  we only get the fruit that travels well  and is pick green ...
swimmingfree

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »
home grown clementines would certainly taste better, and fit what conditions you want, but their are better out there.  I haven't had very many others to be able to say good options...you look into a pixie or kishu mandarin?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:17:31 PM by redster »
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
tangerine is another name for mandarin, which is the general name for these sort of flatten-shaped citrus.

Satsuma is a type(cultivar) of mandarin.
Clementine is a type of mandarin.

In my opinion, the best ones are pixie, gold nugget, seedless kishu. Satsuma has several types that are all good since the Japanese names them based on taste and not fixed genetic cultivars.

I don't like Clementine probably because of market fruit experiences. It's also really common and I want to feel special and grow the even better ones.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »
tangerine is another name for mandarin, which is the general name for these sort of flatten-shaped citrus.

Satsuma is a type(cultivar) of mandarin.
Clementine is a type of mandarin.

In my opinion, the best ones are pixie, gold nugget, seedless kishu. Satsuma has several types that are all good since the Japanese names them based on taste and not fixed genetic cultivars.

I don't like Clementine probably because of market fruit experiences. It's also really common and I want to feel special and grow the even better ones.

Clementines are seedy unless grown in isolation. They also have a distinctive flavor.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:56:06 PM by mrtexas »

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:20:40 AM »
thank for the input  :)  will have to look in to the VI 010 Pixie Mandarin if im reading the info from the ccpp its got a long hang time on the tree when ripe ....  ( Nov till Mar )
the  VI 422 Gold Nugget Mandarin is  from Nov to Mar as well what one shood i get the  Pixie or the  Gold Nugget ?????
the VI 433 Seedless Kishu Mandarin has a hang time (Oct to Dec ).....
will have to get some bud wood from them .......  if i get then to take ill have fruit from Oct till Mar that wood be so kool ....   inn other info wood be great help to me i thank you guys for your in put ...
swimmingfree

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »
what one shood i get the  Pixie or the  Gold Nugget ?????

BOTH

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
if i going to pay 15 dollars a stick i wood like to get something that will extend my harvest season....   (Oct to  Mar )
swimmingfree

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Pixie and gold nugget are normally dumped into the same bin in the Chinese markets and just labelled gold nugget. But I used to look for the pixie labels and buy those. Maybe they ripen better when picked early.

Can you get some other people nearby to split the order? It gets pretty expensive to order everything yourself.

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 07:22:17 AM »
i live in Michigan it not the shipping that cost so munch .... its The cost per bud is $2.50 with a minimum of 6 buds (one budstick) per selection . For California Customers: Budwood supplied is subject to a $0.75 per bud service fee plus any associated shipping charges. as far as i know im the only guy up here on the form.... lol   
swimmingfree

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk