Author Topic: cherry harvest pics  (Read 5079 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
cherry harvest pics
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:02 AM »
picked about 30% of the cherries from one of my multi graft cherries trees today (no bing unfortunately). they look beautiful but taste wise, di only gived them a 5 or 6 out of 10. hopefully as the tree matures the flavor will improve and we did have a ton of rain over the last month which probably didnt help. these cherries are about on par with the average cherries in the store and not as good as the most expensive store cherries.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: cherry harvest pics
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
You weren't kidding they look amazing. Too bad about the flavor. Hopefully as the tree matures.

-Luke

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »
Hi Lycheeluva,

The cherries look very delicious 8)...they are one of my fav. temperate fruits. ;) ;D ;D

Next month is Cherry festival Yippee...all locally grown and organic. Will try to go there and takes some pics to share with the community ;) :) The festival is officially early next month...But, the family fruit stands are already packed with cherries :) There will be tons of product with cherries...Jams, liqueurs, cakes...etc  This will not be a festival...if there isn't traditional dances and music. 8) 8)

Thanks for sharing. :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »
Lycheeluva, what cultivar of cherry is that? They sure look good! I have a real weakness for cherries....i would take a 5 or 6 rated cherry right now!  ;) Very hard to come by here. We get them only in summer from mainland and ultra expensive!
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »
Very nice! I get my cherries from Costco at very decent price and quality is superb. I got a 4in1 tree that is small but I doubt it will fruit given very high chill requirements. I will keep the tree and graft onto it other varities. some day they all might fruit.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »
Congrats on a great harvest! Are these in containers or inground? My "harvest" this year can be counted on 2 hands! Hopefully next year I'll get more. To satisfy my need for cherries, I go to a nearby farm that allows people to pick and eat as much as you want. Photo is of Royal Rainier, my favorite. They also have Bing, Sequoia, and some others.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
Beautiful fruit, Gerry.  I am definitely on the cherry bandwagon.  One of the best fruits there is, without a doubt (in my opinion, of course).  I also find excellent cherries in season at Costco, but the  season is rather short. I had some of the most fantastic cherries traveling out in Washington State and British Columbia a few summers ago.  Amazingly great fruit when it is at its best. I planted out the low chill cutivars to see if I can have any prayer of producing cherries in South Florida.  So far, the Cuban May beetles are having a field day with the foliage.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind words- I guess my real issue with the fruit is that once the fruit turns dark red, it loses its crispness. When the fruit is lighter red, it has a nice crispness but is not as sweet. This is a multigraft- I think the cherries in the pic are stella but I'm not certain. I'm looking forward to the ranier cherries which should ripen in a week or so. Will post more pics when they ripen.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »
whoops my post got synched with your's Gerry and you won the battle!

Anyway, what I said was had you ever thought of adding some extra
potassium to see if that might increase the brix in the fruit?  It appeared
to work for my very average mexican papaya, but I will repeat..... "appears".....

but some gorgeous looking stuff you got there...

MFang

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »
Gerry - Wow those cherries look fantastic. When I lived in California one of my favorites things to do was going to the local farmers market every sunday in june and loading up on cherries, yum....   

Tony

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
Thanks for the kind words- I guess my real issue with the fruit is that once the fruit turns dark red, it loses its crispness. When the fruit is lighter red, it has a nice crispness but is not as sweet. This is a multigraft- I think the cherries in the pic are stella but I'm not certain. I'm looking forward to the ranier cherries which should ripen in a week or so. Will post more pics when they ripen.

I always go for the darker sweeter cherries. When cherries first come in from Washington State the prices are high and the fruits are not ripe. As the season progresses they get darker and less expensive. Cherries are my favorite northern fruit.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
Nice job.  Those sure LOOK delicious.  Wish we could grow those down here!

Brad
Sarasota, FL
Brad

natsgarden123

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
I worked in a  cherry orchard, in Israel. I picked bushels of cherries-started before the sun had risen....
Those were the best cherries I have ever eaten. They were the light colored ones ?rainier
Wonderful, right off the tree.   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »
My favorite cherry, as i recall....very distant memory  :'( ....were Queen Anne. I remember they put the Bings to shame, lots more taste pakced in. Lately we've been getting here good winter cherries shipped in from Argentina and Chile. Best summer cherries i've had were in Colorado. Just bought some today for first time....$7.99 a pound, OUCH, and not all that good.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »
Very nice Lychee Luva. I guess this is the sort of envy you might feel when folks are posting up pics of bumper lychee harvests? Who knows, someone might build a meat room to grow cherries in?  ;)
These are definately my favourites among temperates, along with chinese flat peaches. We are supposed to be able to grow the new super duper low chill ones here, but as per Harry's post, temperate fruit (even low chill) always turn out to be too much trouble and the spraying just isnt worth it with the bugs in the deep sub-trops. I had heartbreak this year with my flat peach and oriental fruit moths  :'(
Enjoy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk