Author Topic: Found one more spot in my yard, But what mango/tree?  (Read 7721 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Found one more spot in my yard, But what mango/tree?
« on: October 31, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
I found one more spot in my yard and I want to plant a mango there.
Its going to be in my front yard so i plan on having to deal with theft.

Here are my requirements:
Mid-Season
Not attractive (no red)
Manageable size (I would like to keep it around 15x15 maybe a bit bigger)
Tart component in taste.

So far I've been thinking Lemon Zest or Fruit Punch but if i can get Taralay that will trump everything I previously mentioned.
Or should i wait for new varieties?
What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:56:48 AM by skhan »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Found one more spot in my yard, But what mango?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
If you do grafting, Dongeorgio may be a source for Taralay budwood.

My neighbors found Lemon Zest to have great visual appeal, despite its lack of red coloration.
I don't think of tartness as being part of its deliciousness; I could be wrong, though.

Sweet Tart and Peach Cobbler are not beautiful. I don't know where they stand as far as habit of growth.
My Sweet Tart has been slow growing because I allowed it to hold too much fruit.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
If you do grafting, Dongeorgio may be a source for Taralay budwood.

My neighbors found Lemon Zest to have great visual appeal, despite its lack of red coloration.
I don't think of tartness as being part of its deliciousness; I could be wrong, though.

Sweet Tart and Peach Cobbler are not beautiful. I don't know where they stand as far as habit of growth.
My Sweet Tart has been slow growing because I allowed it to hold too much fruit.

I was thinking about that but i'll probably wait until summer because i think grafting is easier then.
I'll look at some pictures of LZ, as long as it doesn't look like haden.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
Lemon Zest is vigorous,  large and the fruit colors yellow. Not really any tart component.

Fruit Punch gets a good amount of red color in the fruit.  Not really any tart component.

Taralay not available,  no tart component and seems to have a bit of vigor.  Fruit colors yellow.

They best of the "green" colored fruit would be Peach Cobbler but is fairly vigorous and would require some, if not a lot, of work to keep at 15 feet.
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
Lemon Zest is vigorous,  large and the fruit colors yellow. Not really any tart component.

Fruit Punch gets a good amount of red color in the fruit.  Not really any tart component.

Taralay not available,  no tart component and seems to have a bit of vigor.  Fruit colors yellow.

They best of the "green" colored fruit would be Peach Cobbler but is fairly vigorous and would require some, if not a lot, of work to keep at 15 feet.

I guess i must be thinking about something else as tart component. Just don't want it to taste all sweet like a Nam Doc Mai.
I know LZ is vigorous so that might be hard to keep at 15 feet, what about fruit punch?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »
I would say medium plus vigor wise for the Fruit Punch.
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Found one more spot in my yard, But what tree?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »
I managed to move some trees around and now have i nice spot, good for 12x12ft.
Mostly sunny. Might get some shade in the early mornings.

My thoughts are:
Holiday avocado? I already have an Oro Negro, i don't think the seasons conflict
I don't have any eugenias (except for two potted pitagatubas) so i would like to diversify if possibly. Any worth getting for this spot? Or should i plant both Pitangatubas here?
Painter's Red wax jambu? (If wax jambus are in mango season then nope)
A Biew Kiew longan would be nice but i dont think this is enough space.
I don't mine waiting for a few months, is there any new mangos in the the pipe line that can be kept around this size?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »

My thoughts are:
Holiday avocado? I already have an Oro Negro, i don't think the seasons conflict
I don't have any eugenias (except for two potted pitagatubas) so i would like to diversify if possibly. Any worth getting for this spot? Or should i plant both Pitangatubas here?
I don't mine waiting for a few months, is there any new mangos in the the pipe line that can be kept around this size?

IMO, you can stick eugenias and/or jaboticabas in small spots so I wouldn't waste that spot on them.  I would consider Sweet Tart, though I am not sure how much work it would take to keep at 15 ft (eventually).  I consider the "tart" component you describe to be a subacid balance.  I dislike sweet sweet mangoes like NDM, Ivory, etc, but the perfect mango flavor (to me) is when sweet and subacid battle it out, and sweet wins out in the end.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
I am voting Pickering. Mine is five years old and 10ft tall and slow growing with v good fruit yield. Pickering comes in mid-mango season. If you need/want late or early mangoes then you must look/do research on them but have been posted here many times.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:36:13 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »

My thoughts are:

IMO, you can stick eugenias and/or jaboticabas in small spots so I wouldn't waste that spot on them. I would consider Sweet Tart, though I am not sure how much work it would take to keep at 15 ft (eventually).  I consider the "tart" component you describe to be a subacid balance.  I dislike sweet sweet mangoes like NDM, Ivory, etc, but the perfect mango flavor (to me) is when sweet and subacid battle it out, and sweet wins out in the end.

Sweet Tart.  Its somewhat vigorous but an upright grower.  I personally don't see the need to limit at 12 feet.  Letting mango trees get 15-20 feet is more optimal IMO.  With a picker pole, and maybe a 6 foot ladder in certain cases, you will be able to harvest all fruit.

As for now, it does not appear any of the "new" ZHPP varieties will be released this year.  If looking for a late season, Honey Kiss will be available later in the summer but only as a 3 gal.

While I haven't tasted "Painters Red" Wax Jambu, I have had some very good tasting ones and while they are ok, not something I would plant out if space is limited.  The fruit also tends to have insect issues.

Eugenias can be tucked in so no real need to take up a "prime" spot.

Why would you want a Holiday avocado?
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Found one more spot in my yard, But what mango/tree?
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »
The spot is will have trees on all other sides so i wanted something that i can keep 12 wide. I can let it grow a few feet higher if need be.
As for the Holiday Avocado, i saw it was a smaller tree so that's the main reason why i was considering it.

I would rather get another type of fruit then mango, but if a new variety comes out that i really enjoy i wouldn't mind giving it the spot.
I have annonas, jacks, jabos and garcinias pretty much covered. I just can't seem to get into canistel or to a lesser extent mamey.
I prefer eating the fruits fresh
I do like abius, I've heard that some varieties fruits twice a year. If i find one then i think i'll plant it. Or if the ever-bearing caimito relative Oscar was talking about would be great too.
Citrus could be an option but it seems to require a lot of work.
I saw you mention a King Mandarin, is it easy to grow?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:55:47 AM by skhan »

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
I am voting Pickering. Mine is five years old and 10ft tall and slow growing with v good fruit yield. Pickering comes in mid-mango season. If you need/want late or early mangoes then you must look/do research on them but have been posted here many times.
zands, your Pickering is 10 feet tall?  Wow.  I was under the impression it is a true dwarf, maybe 8 feet max.  Have you trimmed/tipped it?  I planted one in ground last year from a 3 gallon pot.  Two growth flushes since, it's maybe 3 feet tall and looking good.  How is the disease resistance?  And from everything I have read here it is a prolific producer of quality fruits.  I'm thinking next summer she'll be ready to put out.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »
I think Day avocado, being early to mid, would complement Oro Negro (late) well.  I'd probably choose Sweet Tart if you decide on a mango tree.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:34:49 PM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. The Day avocado seems well liked. Anyone have scions (if now is a good grafting time)

As for a mango instead. I think ST will be a little bit to vigorous for me. I trying the keep the tress in the backyard in check so they don't crowd out each other. So i'll just wait and see if there is a newer variety that grows slower, red blush (for the wife), and compact. Fruit Punch, Fairchild Ruby (J-12)?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
zands, your Pickering is 10 feet tall?  Wow.  I was under the impression it is a true dwarf, maybe 8 feet max.  Have you trimmed/tipped it?  I planted one in ground last year from a 3 gallon pot.  Two growth flushes since, it's maybe 3 feet tall and looking good.  How is the disease resistance?  And from everything I have read here it is a prolific producer of quality fruits.  I'm thinking next summer she'll be ready to put out.

All the good points of Pickering that you mention are true. I have pruned mine minimally except some tip pruning. Yes it will get larger but slowly. The fruits are an 8 out of 10. A good solid Florida mango taste. The ripe fruits have nice coloration.

From its structure and slow growth....My opinion is it can easily be maintained at 8ft or 10ft. Or even less

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 11:43:08 PM »

You cannot go wrong with Pickering. It is a really good producer and a true dwarf. The fruit is really good as well.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:57 PM »

You cannot go wrong with Pickering. It is a really good producer and a true dwarf. The fruit is really good as well.

Just curious,  what is your definition of a "true dwarf"?
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20:59 AM »

I am no expert, but of  all the mango trees I have seen, Pickering and Julie are the ones that really stay small. I have heard dwarf being used along with varieties like Fairchild, Cogshall and Mallika, but they all can get big or become medium sized trees, from what I have seen.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:35 AM »

I am no expert, but of  all the mango trees I have seen, Pickering and Julie are the ones that really stay small. I have heard dwarf being used along with varieties like Fairchild, Cogshall and Mallika, but they all can get big or become medium sized trees, from what I have seen.

I would agree, but maybe there's no such thing as a "true dwarf" (genetic dwarf) when it comes to mango trees.  (That being said, I love my Pickering tree--the smallest and prettiest tree in yard--and the fruit is very good.  You can come over and see it anytime, skhan.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:12:14 AM by johnb51 »
John

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »
I found one more spot in my yard and I want to plant a mango there.
Its going to be in my front yard so i plan on having to deal with theft.

Here are my requirements:
Mid-Season
Not attractive (no red)
Manageable size (I would like to keep it around 15x15 maybe a bit bigger)
Tart component in taste.

So far I've been thinking Lemon Zest or Fruit Punch but if i can get Taralay that will trump everything I previously mentioned.
Or should i wait for new varieties?
What do you think?

Plant something that ripens green to fake out the thieves :-)
Regards,

Gary

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »

Just curious,  what is your definition of a "true dwarf"?

Texas grown.  :D  Seriously, we don't have the heat or rainfall you do unless you're on the SE tip of Texas.

Even though I opted out for ST, LZ, and Mallika, it's really hard to beat Pickering in all respects - excellent production, tidy tree size, thin seed, delicious taste.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »
I have been propagating Pickering here in the DR.  have about 5 of them now in 1-3 gallon pots,  I will be giving them to family and friends, when they are a bit bigger.  I just think they are just perfect for the very small yards over here,  plus they taste great and precocious.  they just want to produce fruit. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »
So i'm still thinking about what to put. I know shouldn't go mango.
But in order to satisfy my desire for more variety i'll top work my VP with ST and peach cobbler. And my Lancetilla to Venus and something else(maha, honey kiss, julie, taralay).

As for the vacant spot. I guess i'll just wait until something comes up (not a mango i hope).
An early extended avocado would be nice but i'll wait until tasting them. Day seems like it fits the bill. When someone sees them for sale (fruit) down here let me know.

I don't see much info on UF Best peach. Looks nice because its earlier than other varieties.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:40:55 PM by skhan »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 04:31:03 PM »
So i'm still thinking about what to put. I know shouldn't go mango.
But in order to satisfy my desire for more variety i'll top work my VP with ST and peach cobbler. And my Lancetilla to Venus and something else(maha, honey kiss, julie, taralay).

As for the vacant spot. I guess i'll just wait until something comes up (not a mango i hope).
An early extended avocado would be nice but i'll wait until tasting them. Day seems like it fits the bill. When someone sees them for sale (fruit) down here let me know.

I don't see much info on UF Best peach. Looks nice because its earlier than other varieties.

I will be able to get you some Days in late summer.  Brogdon is another early season avocado of decent quality.  Small purple skinned fruit.  Totally different than Day.  Fruit is not as firm with a different flavor profile (again, Day has that distinct nuttiness).  Tree is an upright grower like Day but more vigorous.  After these, the early season cados tend to be in the milder, ok lets be more honest, bland and watery side.

For top working, Mahachanok will go well with Venus.  You don't want Julie at all.  If you really want a Julie, then go with Juliette.  Honey Kiss is a slower, compact grower that would do better on its own.  It is a little more temperamental in terms of successful top working.

Peaches are great in Florida as long as you are able to avoid the dreaded fruit fly...
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 04:58:38 PM »
Thanks for all the info Rob
I'll be sure to contact you in summer for a taste of Day avocado (also got to taste ross and green sapote, next time its available at Excalibur i'll drive up just for that ;D).
I had Monroe for the  first time this year and while its seems well liked, it just didn't do it for me. I found Lula better, but all the fruit i ate had horrible issues with disease only half of each fruit was edible.
Brodgon is great but like was mentioned before its just to annoying and messy with the thin skin.

Would Juliette or Fairchild Ruby (J-12) go with Venus?

Concerning peaches, fruit flies might make it a no go for me. I can't picture myself bagging every peach...and loquat ...and annonas.

It seems like trying to diversify my selection and getting fruits throughout the year is failing :'(. I wouldn't be surprised if i just end up with a mango.  :-[

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »
Update:
So i went to the Avocado grafting class at the RFVC of Broward and i grafted a Day/Brodgon tree. So if it takes then it has a spot in the yard.
Does anyone have info in "Red Russel", "VW Red" and "Big Red (Avocado)"?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 06:43:46 AM »
Update:
So i went to the Avocado grafting class at the RFVC of Broward and i grafted a Day/Brodgon tree. So if it takes then it has a spot in the yard.

Day and Brogdon have two different growth habits.  Not the best thing for cocktail trees...
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
I just took whatever bud wood was available as a early season. I bud grafted the brodgon so i don't have much hope for that taking.
Hopefully one of them takes though.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 12:34:40 AM »
Update:

FWIW, all the red avocados I have had have been really watery, and often have a loose seed.  I know Lara's propagates a Hialeah Red that is supposedly good.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »
Update:

Day and Brogdon have two different growth habits.  Not the best thing for cocktail trees...

So is Day avocado a dwarf, compact, medium or large grower? 
Sorry to revive an old thread, but could not find much info on Day here or online. 
If it's so tasty and also cold hardy, then why is it kind of obscure?  Not like it's a new variety.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:01 AM »

So is Day avocado a dwarf, compact, medium or large grower? 
Sorry to revive an old thread, but could not find much info on Day here or online. 
If it's so tasty and also cold hardy, then why is it kind of obscure?  Not like it's a new variety.

Fruit is fair, big seed, but then again I'm comparing it to rich high oil fruit like Reed or Gwen.  Tree is supposed to be medium to large.  I got some Day to try from here: https://www.riversendnursery.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk