Author Topic: Mexican Rheedia/Garcinia?  (Read 96038 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Re: Mexican Rheedia/Garcinia?
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2012, 10:10:24 PM »
Here is the reply from Luc about the leaf size:

Hi Ed ,

Today I measured the average size of the leaves ,  most are 6 to 8 inches , biggest are 10.

Luc

Thanks,

Ed

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »
Ed, any update on your Luc's Mexican Rheedia?  I'm wondering what type of flowers you got?  Thanks,
Simon

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
Simon,

So far 7 blooms have opened and 7 fruit have set!
Here is a photo of the small fruit.

Ed

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
Definitely a lovely sight.  Can't wait for maturity and a full report.  Guard those babies with your life. Well, hopefully that won't be necessary. I mean figuratively.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »
Hi Ed,

Wow! That's such an accomplishment. Is this the only Mexican Garcinia that's flowering right now for you?

Tomas

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2012, 10:05:55 PM »
Yeah its the only one! Was hoping for more! But will be excited to try the first fruit!

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2012, 12:47:21 AM »
Yeah its the only one! Was hoping for more! But will be excited to try the first fruit!

Ed

Luc, just said Mexican garcinia was dioecious, so that can't be right. I think almost all of the rheedias are monoecious.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:59:16 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
Wow Ed, thats super exciting news!!! You are my new plant hero.  I can't wait to hear the taste report.  I hope you will have time to document the great job you are doing with this plant. 
Simon
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:57:42 AM by simon_grow »

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2012, 06:26:32 AM »
Oscar very early in this thread you said "this plant is really a rheedia" also Luc said"
 A few comments on the Mexican Garcinia : I only have one growing and fruiting in my orchard".

I know exactly where my seeds came from since I physically brought them back myself. So any way I will wait and let everyone know how the fruit taste.

Ed 

Ed

Luc, just said Mexican garcinia was dioecious, so that can't be right. I think almost all of the rheedias are monoecious.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2012, 06:35:40 AM »
Hi Ed, not sure what you are responding to or asking? My comment was in response to what Luc said, that the Mexican garcinia is dioecious. But since you have only one plant flowering and you say it is fruiting then this can't be right. Also that the new world garcinias were previously called rheedias, and as far as i know all the rheedias, with possible exception of one, are self pollinating.
Oscar

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »
Oh ok Oscar I agree with you! It was early and I misread your post.

Ed

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
Another photo of the small fruit.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Found possible Mexican Garcinia seedlings!
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »
To Adam and all , I would really like to help spreading the ' Limoncillo ' that's what the old time locals call it . I have at the moment several hundred plants between 2 and 4 years old . I can't export .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Re: Found possible Mexican Garcinia seedlings!
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »
If there's a Russel's Sweet? why not Luc's Mexican?  ;D

I'm sure there will be lots of confusion, and at least 3 common names for this species you've introduced to the rest of the world from obscurity.

Doesn't limoncillo indicate the fruits of Melicoccus bijugatis (spanish lime to me), to some Spanish speaking cultures?

That's one of the hang ups I see with choosing that name.

But out of respect for you Luc, I would call this fruit just about anything you tell me to... ;D

So until you say otherwise, I will refer to them as Luc's Limoncillo Garcinia....unless you'd like me to leave out your name...and just call it Limoncillo Garcinia?

thanks for posting shy guy...  :)

we'd like to hear more from you on this forum (you'll have to post some pics of the mangoes your growing  ;) ).  The old yahoo fruit forum where I first met you, has a format I can't stand.  This one is much more user friendly.

Take care.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »
Names vary from village to village , the M. bigugatus is called guayo here.
I am eliminating all my mangos , or just leaving the forked trunks for support for the Embrapa huge passion fruits . Mangos are cheap and plentiful here , so I rather use the space to plant something rare.
Also once it starts raining all the fruit is affected by fruit fly ( I don't use any pesticides at all ) . Next on the list to go are Citrus ( prevention for Huang Long Bin )  some Psidiums , specially the ' Strawberry guava ' I love the fruit but 9 out of 10 it comes with a few worms , not that I personally have a problem with that but not nice if you have visitors and they want to taste the fruit.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Adam,
You broke a few hearts this weekend!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Hey, things happen!   You took a good shot! 
I am so thankful to Eddy! My "Limoncillo" is kicking new growth!  Looking great!

Luc, I am thinking about cutting down my 15 years old strawberry guava and getting rid of papaya trees.   Every year I get plenty of protein from strawberry guava, I am changing my diet to more fruits and vegetables.  Papayas, you can buy the best papayas at the open market.  I will bet I will have less fruit flies  hitting my mangoes and biribas.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
Berto you are very welcome! I had a hard time parting with that 4 year old beauty but I really wanted a fruiting size Rain Forest Plum! So I think it worked out for both of us! I have a Rain Forest Plum that is blooming right now and you have a Limoncillo that will hopefully bloom soon! It was from the same group of seeds that my fruiting one came from.

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »
Update!

After negotiating with my friend who has a quite a few seedlings, I've come to an agreement.

They will sell none of the mexican garcinia plants for now...and they didn't seem interested in selling anything (be it a gardenia or garcinia)

I was afraid of this...that's why I was asking so much per seedling at such a small size...I figured with enough $$$  I could corrupt the purest of fruiting plant loving peoples....but the value of money had no affect!

I've gained much more respect for this individual...and they will be greatly rewarded I'm sure, for their foresight, and determination to collect precious and delectable plants.

With all of this said...hope has not been lost!

I still have about 20 seedlings of my own (debating selling some), and access to a few larger specimens belonging to friends of mine, from which I will be able to have budwood from...in the future.

So let the fun begin...I'm in the process of testing out rootstocks, for Luc's Mex Garcinia.(G. vleerackerii  ;) )

and have already began the process of tissue culturing this new Garcinia as well.   ;)

I will be sure to keep the group updated...and I do extend a most sincerely apology to all who've requested plants...didn't mean to nursery stock tease you!   :(  :D

I still have a few more stones to look under, and cats to skin.

and I might just break down and get rid of some of my own seedlings....after all who needs more than about 8?  (considering the fact they could be monecious....BTW....did a debate arise about this yet??  If the come male female, it would mean less plants to share for sure!!)

thanks to all who've posted, you are at the top of my list....starting with Luke! (Luc's alter ego! he posted first to request plants!  Harry would be next in line and so on.)   :)

Thanks posting this Adam.  How sure are you of the pedigree of these plants?  If you are pretty sure, I'd take two of them.  Thanks for your good investigative work and good luck in the negotiations.

Harry

No debate needed. Ed has one plant that fruited on its own, so to me that proves they are not truly dioecious. Also almost all Rheedias are monecious. And the Mexican Garcinia is really the Mexican Rheedia. If you read up on Rheedias you will see they have male and hermaphrodite flowers on same plant.
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »
To Oscar : the pic of the flowers you posted were taken from a tree that fruited later on , so the mono / dio of these trees is up for guessing again . This may explain Ed's seedling bearing .
To Tomas : that should be good news !!!
The reason I mentioned that there was a possibility that they are dioecious was that I found a never fruiting tree in one specific area.
To Mike : when we compared the taste between limoncillo and achachairu ( 5 tasters ) only my wife liked the achachairu better ( she never agrees with me LOL ) she was the only female in the test group
personally I also like the Bolivian fruit it has a spicy after taste , the only thing is that it is small......but still absolutely worth growing , so don't start pulling out your trees...
To Ed about the LIMONCELLO drink : I got blasted last year after a few shot glasses of ice cold home made Limoncello , soooo good goes down like sugar , then it's like go got hit with an hammer....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
Luc I hope that I will need the LIMONCELLO drink recipe soon!

Ed

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »
Luc thanks for the info and my 'mexican' is still small.Achachas may have been overplanted and in the season they swamp the supermarkets at a time when many popular fruit are around.In the markets last year they at times fell below $2/lb.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »
Hi Luc,

That would be wonderful news. I got a little shock when I read your other post that it was not self-pollinating. I would feel really bad for all the friends I distributed seeds and plants to a few years ago -many if them only got one plant because I thought it was mono.

I wonder why that certain tree never get fruits. Can some trees be sterile?

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
Hi Luc,

That would be wonderful news. I got a little shock when I read your other post that it was not self-pollinating. I would feel really bad for all the friends I distributed seeds and plants to a few years ago -many if them only got one plant because I thought it was mono.

I wonder why that certain tree never get fruits. Can some trees be sterile?

Tomas

Luc never said if that lone tree ever flowers? Just not bearing fruit on it's own doesn't indicate it's dioecious. I have an avocado that never flowers or fruits, but i wouldn't say avos are dioecious. But it is possible that some Mex. rheedia plants only put out male flowers. I have a cuban mangosteen (Rheedia aristata) that's flowered now 3 times and all flowers were male. It's also possible that hermaphrodite flowers will show up later.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
To Adam and all , I would really like to help spreading the ' Limoncillo ' that's what the old time locals call it . I have at the moment several hundred plants between 2 and 4 years old . I can't export .

Too bad you can't export. You would have people lined up on this forum to buy some of those older plants. I have some year old ones from seeds that I got from you but they seem to be growing pretty slowly.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
Eddy,
It worked out perfect! So, your candolleana is blooming?  Awesome!  I gave another one to a friend of mine and is also blooming.  I have one in the ground, approximately 4 to 5 feet tall, and it will bloom any time now.  It looks healthy and happy!  Eugenia candolleana, another great eugenia.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:43:17 AM by Berto »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk