Author Topic: Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!  (Read 20951 times)

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any Indian stores in the Orlando area that have these Indian mangoes?

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »
Got a box of Kesar from Namaste, Irvine today for $29.99 with 11 mangos inside.
(No alphonso, but they also have few boxes of Banganpalli and "Mahajarit" -I think?-  that I didn't buy).

I like the multiple coloration so far; very appealing. Not much smell, yet.

Looking forward to taste them in a couple of days... ;D
Sam

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2017, 11:29:23 PM »

They had Kesar and another mango that starts with the B and Manilas

At
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pioneer-cash-and-carry-artesia?uid=OEEwE9qhuT4XwUKl1LzpKw&utm_source=ishare&utm_medium=s_nb_i_mgb

Looks like the stash at Pioneer Cash and Carry in Artesia.  $25 for a box of 11 kesar and $27 for a box of about 8 Benganpali (side of box was also stamped badami).  Pretty good prices compared to last year (last year was $40 for banganpalli).  Most fruit reports from friends said they were very green...needing about 4-5 days to ripen.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:36:06 PM by wslau »
Warren

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2017, 12:43:38 AM »
I am going to be in Los Angeles tomorrow.
If I have time, I am going to look for an Indian Market.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
Yesterday I bought a box of Kay Bee brand Kesar mangoes, from an Indian grocery store in West Palm Beach.

I was surprised when the grocer retrieved the case from a refrigerated room. They were cold. I have just emailed Kay Bee to see if they ship their mangoes already ripe.   Otherwise, I'm assuming that the cold will prevent them from reaching their potential.

I ate one last night. It was good but not excellent. Since I've never had Kesar mangoes before I have nothing to compare it to.     ???

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
I also believe that refrigeration harms the ripening process. These early Kesars and Alphonso's are very good but not excellent yet. The mid season fruit are excellent. The Kesars and Alphonso's usually give off a sweet aroma with some Indian twang when it is ripe for eating. The flesh color should also have a slightly orange tinge that gets darker as it approaches ripeness. If the flesh color is a dull yellow, the fruit is either not ripe or it was harvested pre maturely.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
Yeah, I question that refrigeration process based on the awful fruit we get in the store.  If like tomatoes  and you leave them off the tree for any length of time, whether it be to store them commercially or ripen them on a counter, put them in cold conditions and then bring them out to ripen some more, there may be an enzyme created that ruins the texture.  That enzyme from warm->cold->warm again for a tomato turns the texture to mush.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
Studies have shown that mangos start to get chilling injury below 55F. Unfortunately along the cold supply chain they often get stored with fruits that can tolerate significantly lower storage temps than this, which will impact the final brix of the fruit.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2017, 06:26:54 PM »
I am going to be in Los Angeles tomorrow.
If I have time, I am going to look for an Indian Market.

So I stopped today at this little Indian grocery store on Venice Blvd. called Kavita Grocery.  When I asked if he had any Indian Mangos, he said; Too early. The man said he should get some in in about two weeks.  I bet they will be expensive.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
I just stopped by Miramar Cash and Carry to pick up some more Kesars but they are all out. They did have plenty of Banganpalli(Badami) for $25.99 for a box of 9 fruit. I picked up a box of the Badami, I guess this is an alternative name for Banganpalli.

The cashier said they will be receiving their next shipment of Kesars on Thursday. I'll report back on the taste of the Badami when they ripen up.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »
Badami

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
Yesterday I bought a box of Kay Bee brand Kesar mangoes, from an Indian grocery store in West Palm Beach.

I was surprised when the grocer retrieved the case from a refrigerated room. They were cold. I have just emailed Kay Bee to see if they ship their mangoes already ripe.   Otherwise, I'm assuming that the cold will prevent them from reaching their potential.

I ate one last night. It was good but not excellent. Since I've never had Kesar mangoes before I have nothing to compare it to.     ???

not sure what system these people are using,  but some fruit exporters are adopting, newer quality control measures.   the old traditional method,  packing houses receive fruit from the orchards,  measure brix,  then determine from that , at what temperature the fruit need to be in shipping, to prevent them from ripening in transit.
the main problem here, is that shippers to be on the safe side, will push for pickers to pick fruit sooner,  or will refrigerate colder than normal. these fruit are often received at destination, too soon,  and supermarkets just store them until they look good for the selves.  this storage also is not desired by supermarket chains and distributors.

Newer quality control measures,    The packing house will receive fruit, measure brix,   but now use a formula, for that particular variety, and destination.   they will in some cases "haste" the ripening, using ethylene. ( this is the natural process used by fruit ) take note that this is not the dangerous Calcium carbide artificial ripening.  also must understand they are not actually ripening them before hand.  what they are doing is synchronizing the ripening stage of the fruit.  this and adjusting them so the fruit will not have to be refrigerated at lower temperatures,  they also time it so fruit will arrive at "ready to be sold" stage.  this removes the possibility of bad storage practices at the supermarkets or distributors,  temperature sensors are stored in random boxes,  these record the whole shipping,  at destination, they can pop these in a computer and the buyer "knows" what these fruit have gone through.

In other words,  both buyers and shippers are working to improve quality of fruit for end consumer,  a poor little mango goes through a lot of sh*t before it reaches your kitchen table.  when it comes from across the planet.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
I just stopped by Miramar Cash and Carry to pick up some more Kesars but they are all out. They did have plenty of Banganpalli(Badami) for $25.99 for a box of 9 fruit. I picked up a box of the Badami, I guess this is an alternative name for Banganpalli.

The cashier said they will be receiving their next shipment of Kesars on Thursday. I'll report back on the taste of the Badami when they ripen up.

Simon

Simon, Badami is Alphonso name from Southern India. However, these boxes were pre-printed and they did not have one for Bengalpali I guess. That is why you are putting stickers on it.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2017, 02:50:19 PM »
Miramar Cash and Carry were supposed to get their shipment of Kesar mangos today but I just called them and they have not received it in yet. They said they will have it in by the weekend.

Simon

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
Found Kesar mangoes at Spiceland in Lake Mary....$35 for a box of 11 fruits

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
Simon,

its been 8 days since I bought my Kesar box and they are still green, getting soft but not ripening to where they are ready. Did you find that to be an issue? usually this happens when Mango is picked way too early and sometimes it never gets to perfect ripening and sugars.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »
These early Kesars are not as good as last years. Some of mine are still green on the outside but they are ripe on the inside. They are ripe on the inside but the flesh color is pale and the quality is not as good. The first ones to ripen were more yellow in color and tasted pretty good but these later ripening green ones are sub par. I'm hoping the next shipment will be much better.

The Banganpalli should be ready soon so I'll report back with taste report as soon as I cut them open.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »
These early Kesars are not as good as last years. Some of mine are still green on the outside but they are ripe on the inside. They are ripe on the inside but the flesh color is pale and the quality is not as good. The first ones to ripen were more yellow in color and tasted pretty good but these later ripening green ones are sub par. I'm hoping the next shipment will be much better.

The Banganpalli should be ready soon so I'll report back with taste report as soon as I cut them open.

Simon

Simon, Behl....the consensus this year is that the early kesars are much better than the early banganpalli.  So far, I'm one of the few that enjoyed the early banganpalli.
Warren

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
Thanks for the report Warren! My Banganpallis were much more yellow when I purchased them compared to the Kesars. I'll report back tonight with the taste.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »
I couldn't wait anymore so I cut into the Banganpalli mango and it was still slightly underripe although it did sweeten up. The Brix only read 16% but it really tasted like it was 19%. I found this mango to be great tasting with less fiber than Kesar.

Did anyone else notice the Kesars had quite a bit of fiber this year?

The First thing that hit me with the Banganpalli was the sweetness followed by the Indian resin taste. The Indian resin flavor profile is completely different than that of the Alphonso and Kesar if you ask me. The resin or turpene component is more one dimensional and does not linger on the tongue like the King and Queen. Some people are going to say I'm pulling this out of my ass but I'm going to put it out here anyways, I got notes of gasoline in the resin component of this mango, in a good way.

I know, I know, it sounds crazy and who in the world would want a gasoline tasting mango right? Well it's just a hint of gasoline in the Indian resin flavor component and it is very very minor and this is according to my palate. I have a sensitive palate and nose. It tastes very unique and is quite a nice change from the resin component of Alphonso and Kesar.

This mango is definitely worth trying

Simon

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2017, 08:29:50 PM »
thanks guys for the heads up was able to score a box of alphonso and banganaballi.   This is my first time ever tasting mango besides the usual that are available at the local market.   The alphonso was phenomenal! Sweet and a whole lot of favor! The banganaballi flavor was very light and floral it was sweet but didn't pack a punch like the alphonso.   The box of alphonso was more consistent with flavor.  Where as the banganaballi was all over the place.  The first two banganaballi was bland.  Like Simon says probably picked way to early.  Two hand spots like a ripe banana was delicious and her flavorful.  Both had that what I believe you guys describe as the Indian resin but it was more pronounced in the banganaballi.   I think it's partially the flavors in alphonso was a lot stronger and loud.  If you guys say that the Kesar taste better then the alphonso I have been missing out on a piece of heaven all my life.  Like I said my taste buds was already blown away by alphonso.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 12:27:27 AM »
Yes, I noticed the Kesar had a significant level of fibre that was bordering unpleasant.   Nothing like the Kesar grown here.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »
Got a box of Kesar from Namaste, Irvine today for $29.99 with 11 mangos inside.
(No alphonso, but they also have few boxes of Banganpalli and "Mahajarit" -I think?-  that I didn't buy).

I like the multiple coloration so far; very appealing. Not much smell, yet.

Looking forward to taste them in a couple of days... ;D

Thinking they were too expensive aka "not knowing any better" I passed up on a fresh box of Kesar, 12 to a box, each about 250 grams for $26.  San Antonio Indian bazaar store.   They looked beautiful.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
As suspected, the early Kesar are not that good. they never turned deep yellow  nor did they get high brix. Will buy again in late June/July