Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples  (Read 2158 times)

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2017, 06:54:42 PM »
Just order 3 Sugarloafs from Jude.  Unfortunately, it appears he has a back-order now but it's only 7-10 days. 

It seems that I read somewhere, that the core could be quartered and you would still get plants.  I think I'll try that with one of them.  I'll report back with a taste and the quartered cores. 

I have an elite gold pineapple that just flowered.  It will be interesting to see how it ripens in the GH. 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2017, 07:05:04 PM »
Ive read that the crown can be quartered and still grow. I wonder if it's better to root the crown first and then quarter or if it's ok quartering first and then rooting? I would think it's easier to quarter and then root but maybe more successful if rooted and then quartered due to immediate ability to uptake water with the roots?

Simon

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »
Ive read that the crown can be quartered and still grow. I wonder if it's better to root the crown first and then quarter or if it's ok quartering first and then rooting? I would think it's easier to quarter and then root but maybe more successful if rooted and then quartered due to immediate ability to uptake water with the roots?

Simon

it also can be done with the slips and suckers. you could root before but then you will just disturb/cut the roots doing it later. if you make the cut first then plant it, you are done. its just another step not needed, i think

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
That makes sense, it sure would be a lot easier to cut without the roots.

Simon

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Today at 05:46:02 AM »
$7/lb @ Wholefoods Kahala/Kailua.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Today at 01:53:59 PM »
That's probably about how much we get if for except we have to pay for shipping. I believe one fruit is about 3-4 lbs and she sells a single fruit for about $27.5

These pineapples are super delicious and worth every dollar. I can't wait to harvest from my own plants!

Simon

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers