Author Topic: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples  (Read 37586 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »
yes i understand that... but i'm talking about what ben mango posted about Honey cream pineapple not talking about sugarloaf pineapple... sugarloaf is very easy to get now days
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 07:50:25 PM »
yes i understand that... but i'm talking about what ben mango posted about Honey cream pineapple not talking about sugarloaf pineapple... sugarloaf is very easy to get now days

OK. I haven't tried Frankies selection Honey Cream, but i bet it's very good. He has a good eye usually in the material he selects.
Oscar

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »

OK. I haven't tried Frankies selection Honey Cream, but i bet it's very good. He has a good eye usually in the material he selects.

when they tested the Honey Cream here is the results

The brix in summer can go up to 28 while in winter, it's about 21.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »

when they tested the Honey Cream here is the results

The brix in summer can go up to 28 while in winter, it's about 21.

I saw that. Honey cream seems very high in brix. But really taste depends also on acid content ratio, not just brix. If it's a sugarloaf selection then it will also be very low acid and very sweet.
Oscar

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
The Honey Cream is also known as Meli Kalima, I gave a description of it on the sweetest pineapple thread. It's a patented variety and Frankie gave the names of the parent varieties. I was originally going to try my hand at breeding something similar to the Meli Kalima but I don't have the space nor expertise to breed anything worthwhile.

I'm happy enough with the White Sugarloaf.
Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »
I just received a shipment of pineapples from jude. How long can they last? Can I keep it in the refrigerator for a week?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Just ordered two Sugarloaf from Wellsprings Simon.

Here's another good deal for those just starting out.  6 plants, 3 cultivars for $24 isn't half bad.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINEAPPLE-PLANT-COLLECTION-White-Jade-Sugarloaf-Florida-Special-/121657952646

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
I just received a shipment of pineapples from jude. How long can they last? Can I keep it in the refrigerator for a week?

The thing about White Sugarloaf is that they don't have a long Shelf life the sooner you eat it the better but I'm sure you can wait a few days but i wouldn't take any longer than that

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

I've heard they can last about a week or so if kept in the fridge. I took the top off my extra fruit and kept it in the fridge. When I cut it open, it was still super fresh.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »

The thing about White Sugarloaf is that they don't have a long Shelf life the sooner you eat it the better but I'm sure you can wait a few days but i wouldn't take any longer than that

Mine were picked Monday, June 5.  Shipped the 6th.  Arrived the 8th.  Ate one on Saturday and was amazing and fresh.  Not sure what your "few days" refers to...
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »

They keep fine, especially when picked before fully ripe, as most shippers do.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 06:08:11 PM »

They keep fine, especially when picked before fully ripe, as most shippers do.

Agreed.  Mine were shipped last Tuesday, arrived on Thursday and had o e last night that was every bit as good as the one I tried upon arrival last Thursday.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:36:26 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

indoorpineapplegrower

• USA, Illinois, Chicago, Zone 6
    • View Profile
    • Indoor Pineapple Culture Page
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2017, 05:22:03 PM »
Kaua'i Sugarloaf and White Jade are my two favorite white-fleshed pineapples to grow and eat. I have one Kaua'i Sugarloaf flowering right now.

http://indoorpineapplegrowers.org
Pineapples: Cayenne, White Jade, Spanish Samoa, Queen Victoria, Kaua'i Sugarloaf, Monte Lirio, Cheese Pine, Josapine, Pernambuco

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
Great website with lots of information indoorpineapplegrower!
Between the White Sugarloaf and the White Jade, do you recall which variety tasted sweeter?

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 09:40:46 AM »
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:42:48 AM by Mark in Texas »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
$27.50 EACH? ::) Ouch!  https://kauaisugarloaf.com/products/kauai-sugarloaf-pineapple

No. Actually  $37.50 each after incorporating the shipping.
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
The Kuai White Sugarloaf are so good but so darn expensive, another reason to grow your own. They are a bit cheaper when you buy three and you save on shipping costs. I hope to have enough White Sugarloaf and White Jade so that I will be able to harvest one fruit a month.

The taste of the White Sugarloaf is creamy and candy like and it does have just enough acidity to balance out the sugars.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »
I have ordered them before in the past but just to do a test with how much they cost with shipping this is what it come's to for all 3 deals separate Carts

Buying just 1 with shipping come's to $57.50

Buying two with shipping come's to $85.00

Buying 3 with shipping come's to $112.50

Did you all have to pay the same. or how did you get them cheaper ?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »
That's what I paid. I buy three at a time to lower cost and then sell one to a friend that also wanted to try it. Next time, I'm going to order three and keep them all for myself.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »
Ya'll enjoy your pineapple.  My $112 is going towards a couple of bottles of fine Japanese Scotch aka "whisky".  ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 03:54:46 AM »
The Kuai White Sugarloaf are so good but so darn expensive, another reason to grow your own. They are a bit cheaper when you buy three and you save on shipping costs. I hope to have enough White Sugarloaf and White Jade so that I will be able to harvest one fruit a month.

The taste of the White Sugarloaf is creamy and candy like and it does have just enough acidity to balance out the sugars.

Simon

They are only expensive where you live. They cost $4 or $5 each here depending on size.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »
Two Sugarloaf pineapples came in yesterday with a "Lily of the Nile" freebie.  Will upcan them to a 1 gal. pot for a while.

I'm all set! 

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
I let one of my pineapples to get yellow to see if it gets better in taste or spoiled like I've heard. So, the flesh looked "more" white ( or I'm imagining it :D ) and tasted a little better than the one with green skin and yellow dots. I found only one dark spot inside and it was because of the damage from outside. Here are some pictures below.

Got some seeds from this one.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
I let one of my pineapples to get yellow to see if it gets better in taste or spoiled like I've heard. So, the flesh looked "more" white ( or I'm imagining it :D ) and tasted a little better than the one with green skin and yellow dots. I found only one dark spot inside and it was because of the damage from outside. Here are some pictures below.

Got some seeds from this one.

Mine were snow white at golden stage and green stage.  Both tasted amazing...cant say if any real difference taste wise on color alone.
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »
I ordered several Pineapples from Jude and I couldn't tell the difference between the ones that were eaten immediately vs the ones that were left to yellow a bit. The ones that were left to yellow a bit had a bit more deterioration where the White flesh was turning translucent where I suppose there was slight pressure or shipping damage. The Brix was the same for both methods.

Simon