Author Topic: Orange tree  (Read 1395 times)

Hana

• Kuwait, kuwait
    • View Profile
Orange tree
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »
Hi everyone,
I bought an orange tree about 5ft high from a nersery when it was in a bad shape and I mean yellowing. All of the new sets of sprigs were yellow. They told me it was new growth but nope, I noticed empty stems at the top among the yellow sprigs that're about a foot in height. Been keeping it indoors since I brought it in about 2 weeks ago in a bright, cool corner where it's 82 °F. It took 4 days to dry out before I neely watered thoroughly as the upper leaves showed signs of wilt. I haven't transplanted it yet but changed the first 3 inches of soil using potting soil. I tried to fertilize it too with coffee grounds and kitchen scraps infusions .. no change!!  :( It's condition is worsening for it's yellowing almost all over and as it's been losing leaves ever since I brought it indoors. I will show some images hoping to succeed in posting them for I'm new to this.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Ps: I'm keeping it in a container for growing in a balcony. Brought it indoors for shelter from the scorching heat. It's three digits in my region pretty dry and sometimes windy too.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: Orange tree
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
Big tree, little pot not good, possible root problem. When going to a bigger pot do not fertilize yet,just water with a p/h of about 6 or 6.5. Keep in shade.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Orange tree
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
Coffee and kitchen scraps are no fertilizer for a citrus tree.  Luak, is correct, the container is too small for a 5-ft. tree.  The medium the tree is now growing in is not free draining enough. Straight potting soil is also not a good medium for the tree.  I would pull the tree out of the container, remove as much of the soil as possible, (flushing with water), avoid damaging the roots.  Replace with a faster draining mixture.  In the future use a real fertilizer that is higher in nitrogen and potassium, and lower is phosphorous. Good luck to you and this tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk