Author Topic: Rain = Washed Out Mango Flavor?  (Read 12198 times)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Re: Rain = Washed Out Mango Flavor?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
duplicate post
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:13:11 AM by greenman62 »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
You guys/gals in Fla are lucky.
Here in New Orleans we just had  tropical storm  Cindy go over us.

i dont even want to know how many inches of rain we got

i do know that it has rained at least 21 of the last 25 days.
some of my fruit trees are "sagging" and not standing straight up.
the soil has turned to mush.
i have seed trays and seedlings that are rotting away.
 its quite depressing.

i tasted a couple of figs that were like soggy cardboard.
i had to harvest bell peppers, as the plants all fell over,
and slugs were all over them.
at least the sugar cane, ginger and taro seem happy...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
The early Pickerings were outstanding.  The ones I'm getting now not so great--even internal breakdown, which I never saw before in Pickering.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:56:57 PM by johnb51 »
John

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »
all the mangoes ive tasted the last 2 weeks have been washed out and watery. including carrie, lemon meringue, pruter, Duncan, glenn,

before the rains, the mangos were sweet and much richer stronger flavors.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:51 AM »
I think my glenns are sweetening up now.   Had one this morning that I picked over the weekend. It was sweet and had that canned syrupy peach flavor.   I'm currently in a two week drought and the heat has been cranked up.  I think that has helped.   

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
Yep. Same here. Well into 11 Julies already and they are flavorless. 2 Pickering so far and its the same. Bland.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »
Yep. Bummer year for mangoes :-(.
Jeff  :-)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
Rain has been incredibly bad on the West coast this year also. Having your mango trees elevated 4-6 inches higher than ground level when planting makes a huge difference, just have to bring in more soil and taper them. My Lemon Zest and Dot have pumped out some of the best fruit one could ask for even with nonstop rain every day, no dip in quality so far. Peach Cobbler is an amazing fruit and a first time producer. This mango truly has a tangerine flavor blended with a spicy cinnamon component to it, it packs a punch. It made Lemon Zest appear mild even though the LZ has won me over this year with top notch flavor right up there with Dot or slightly below.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 10:40:23 PM »
Picked a Glenn tonight and it was sweet and peachy. I'm thinking the earlier ones were too early.   

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:35 AM »
Carrie and Mallika were not washed out at my Dad's place in North Ft Myers this entire month of June even though when picked, the stems and fruit both squirted for a couple seconds at every picking. Mallikas have been outstanding this year when properly ripened off the tree 7-14 days,picked off the tree at the first hint of yellowing. Started picking Mallika around June 7, ate the first one June 14  and picked the last bunch June 21, will be eating them until about July 4. Did about 3 pickings a week apart. Could probably have left some on the tree another week if not for squirrel attacks. Picked Carrie this year between May 15-June 21.
  Mallika is a well balanced mango that literally makes your mouth water when eaten, multiple waves of flavor, orange creamsicle was the dominant flavor element with coconut,vanilla,pineapple,and just a hint of muskmelon in the background. I don't know where people are complaining about carrot flavor, they must be picking it too late or otherwise letting it get overripe. Mallika does get that funky mango death flavor if it gets TOO ripe, I guess at its earliest stages of overripe, some detect carrot,I did not.  I am going to plant a Mallika for myself, it is top notch. I would say it is distinct from but on the level of a perfect Dot, but a much healthier,productive tree. One of the few top tier early-mid mangos that don't get washed out by rain, are there others?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
Julies are improving. Brix in the 19s. Pickering in the 12s. Makok sapodilla 22.5 :D.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »
Carrie and Mallika were not washed out at my Dad's place in North Ft Myers this entire month of June even though when picked, the stems and fruit both squirted for a couple seconds at every picking. Mallikas have been outstanding this year when properly ripened off the tree 7-14 days,picked off the tree at the first hint of yellowing. Started picking Mallika around June 7, ate the first one June 14  and picked the last bunch June 21, will be eating them until about July 4. Did about 3 pickings a week apart. Could probably have left some on the tree another week if not for squirrel attacks. Picked Carrie this year between May 15-June 21.
  Mallika is a well balanced mango that literally makes your mouth water when eaten, multiple waves of flavor, orange creamsicle was the dominant flavor element with coconut,vanilla,pineapple,and just a hint of muskmelon in the background. I don't know where people are complaining about carrot flavor, they must be picking it too late or otherwise letting it get overripe. Mallika does get that funky mango death flavor if it gets TOO ripe, I guess at its earliest stages of overripe, some detect carrot,I did not.  I am going to plant a Mallika for myself, it is top notch. I would say it is distinct from but on the level of a perfect Dot, but a much healthier,productive tree. One of the few top tier early-mid mangos that don't get washed out by rain, are there others?

How do you ripen your mallika assuming you don't have any camel dung  :) (PIN reference)
I still have 5 or 6 on the plant and want to get my best shot a a good tasting fruit.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »

How do you ripen your mallika assuming you don't have any camel dung  :) (PIN reference)
I still have 5 or 6 on the plant and want to get my best shot a a good tasting fruit.

Just pick mature green and let ripen on porch (not in air conditioned house).
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
Julies are improving. Brix in the 19s. Pickering in the 12s. Makok sapodilla 22.5 :D.

Either Pickering was totally washed out or not ripe enough.

I really wish people would stop judging fruit on brix.  It truly is not a measurement of a fruit's quality or taste (it can even be deceiving as to sweetness depending upon the acidity level).
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »
My Pickering Taste So Good !

Just had my 1st Francis Hargrave , Strong Peach Aroma no fiber , Very Washaed Out Taste , I hope is the Rain and not the true fruit characteristics..

Ed
Zone 10

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
Angie is VERY consistent from year to year, never washed out.  Too bad it isn't one of the best mangoes.  It has a fine flavor, BUT there's always an off-flavor near the skin.
John

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
I think I'm having the same problem here with a tree that was overwatered.
It has been a little hotter than normal with no rain here in Baja. My ataulfos taste spectacular this year and that seems to be the general consensus among folks here who grow mangoes. Other varieties seem about normal (mamay and manzana - sorry, I haven't managed to trace their provenance).
One of the ataulfos has been overwatered for the entire year - to the point where there was always a small amount of standing water around the trunk. It is a mature tree - about 30 feet high with a 14" diameter trunk. The first notable effect was a massive leaf flush after flowering which didn't occur in the other trees (including other ataulfos). The second effect is that the fruit on this tree is only just ripening - about a month later than the other ataulfos. The fruit doesn't taste quite as good as the other ataulfo. Washed out would be appropriate. However, it's early days yet for this particular tree and I'll update when/if the fruit improves over the season.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
The first 10% of my Lemon Merengue were off flavored, I was thinking I lost my taste for the trophy tree. That being said, the last half of the harvest is full flavor as I remembered, my island mango buddies concur.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
I have not tasted a mango worth eating since before the aforementioned rains.  A lot of fruit with one slice cut out thrown away...
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
The 2Nd Francis Hargrave Tasted Super Good Thank God it's a great tasting Mango !

Ed

Zone 10

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
I thought I was getting a forum jinx when I had a LZ on Thursday and it was blah! I was thinking I might be in trouble but then had another one on Saturday in which I shared it and she was blown away and said it tasted like candy. Definitely had top notch sweetness. Sorry, no Brix testing done! lol

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »
I have seen no improvement so far what has been grown in Palm Beach County, whether in sugar sand east of 95 or out West...
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »
that absolutely sucks to high Heaven....

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
My fruit have been excellent. Been really dry here for the most part.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
I would have to agree your fruits have been excellent relative to what I have collected from my yard.

My fruit have been excellent. Been really dry here for the most part.
Brandon