Author Topic: Rain = Washed Out Mango Flavor?  (Read 12195 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Rain = Washed Out Mango Flavor?
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »
Has anybody been having issues with washed out mango flavor due to the rain? The first crop (in May) was good, but the mangoes that have been ripening over the past few days have been watery / lacked brix from my trees.
Jeff  :-)

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Rain = Washed Out Mango Flavor?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
Same here..... kinda sucks
Joe

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
I noticed that issue with many of my fruit trees. Conversely, I withhold watering prior to harvest to increase Brix. This can make a good Dragonfruit or other fruit taste great.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
Has anybody been having issues with washed out mango flavor due to the rain? The first crop (in May) was good, but the mangoes that have been ripening over the past few days have been watery / lacked brix from my trees.

Yeah, just realized last night when 3 of the 4 I cut were not very good.  😔😔😣😣😭😭

Big question is what will this do to the July and August fruit...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »
The first crop of my NDM were great, but today I harvested one that literally measured 9 degrees of brix -- not much better than tap water.
Jeff  :-)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »
First 3 Julies off of my oldest Julie for the season sucked. Even though I was eager for some mangoes, I could not bring myself to finishing the remaining 2/3rds of it. Straight to compost. The one I picked about 2 weeks ago well before the rains from my 2nd Julie tree was wickedly sweet.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
Our mangoes are tasting good down this way. If they are watered down, I cannot tell. We've had a lot of rain over the last few weeks, but the drainage is good and even the dragon fruit are looking good now. Hope everyone's mangoes sweeten up!

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:30:48 PM »
Picked coconut cream and it had no flavor.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:41 AM »
Got my first two Cogshall off the tree, it was washed out.
The Rosigold I got a month ago was a lot better.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »
Got my first two Cogshall off the tree, it was washed out.
The Rosigold I got a month ago was a lot better.

Cigshall tend to be affected by just rain in the forecast lol
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »
My Carrie fruit from a few days ago were so mild and washed out that even bsbullie would like them.  8)      C'est la vie/ it's just that kind of mango year here.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
Jeff ;

The 2 Pickering that I picked Tasted Soooooo Delicious!...

Ed
Zone 10

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
My NDM's are still really sweet despite the drenching we've been getting. Of course the first one that came off before it started raining was diabetic-coma-inducing sweet, so maybe they are a little washed out. :o
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
My carrie have all been good in my yard every one this year.

My Okrung Tong came early and were mostly inferior to last year except for a very few, there are still a few green so maybe they will be better. Little rain back then so definitely not rain related but early and perhaps too cool, lack of mineral replenishment,  etc.

My florigon is just coming in and 1st 2 were diluted in taste and nowhere near as good as last year. Unknown if rain, cool weather, or needed to replenish some minerals this past fall etc.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »

My Okrung Tong came early and were mostly inferior to last year except for a very few, there are still a few green so maybe they will be better. Little rain back then so definitely not rain related but early and perhaps too cool, lack of mineral replenishment,  etc.

My florigon is just coming in and 1st 2 were diluted in taste and nowhere near as good as last year. Unknown if rain, cool weather, or needed to replenish some minerals this past fall etc.

We have been pretty diligent with replenishing them this season. They have gotten plenty of calcium, potassium and minors while fruiting.

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »

Valencia Pride was far superior to last year in sweetness. Had about 9 delicious but 3 were split by rain but still very good. Animals ate about 3, about 8 left on tree presently. One racoon jumped into the garbage truck and took a ride to the landfill but unfortunately another is around.

Glenn have been good. (update 6.24.17 little taste to todays Glen) (update from 6.24.17 to 7.2.17 all about 12 Glen eaten have been good again by ripening outside in warmer weather on top of hottub)

Rosigold were about the same. Good. But my season is over and they matured before the rainy weather.

A few early wind drops of Keitt starting to be able to ripen indoor with a sweet/tart combo giving more flavor than milder varieties like Glen on 6.24.17   Also Carries still have good flavor in my yard.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:01:35 PM by palmcity »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 02:28:32 AM »
Similar here in the DR, we did not get a normal dry season this year,  and some varieties have paid the price,   Hadens I purchased all has internal breakdown and washed out flavor, even some of the local varieties was a lottery, with some fruit being ok, others tasting like mango flavored water. Kietts have also been washed out, maybe later season will be better, Those that have been  the most reliable so far ,  have been  Kesar,  and Fairchilds were pretty good also, a couple Maya I tried for the first time off 2 year old trees, were mild, but not washed out, still have a few other varieties I have not sampled yet,  maybe tomorrow. 

In the Fla, US, our Pickering fruit was just ok,   not full flavored like last year, but decent enough to eat still.  best fruit I sampled in the US on my visit, was Nam Doc Mai, and Mallika.   both full of flavor and sweetness through the roof.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:33:35 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
Picked the first  few Mahas  off my tree a week ago - never had the fruit before - and while they did not have a totally washed out flavor, they weren't anything great. The Ugly Bettys from the first crop were spectacular and I have a few on the counter now. The STs have been great, the first crop as well as the ones that are ripening now.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
I have had the following picked last Friday (all after the rains) and not one was worthy of consumption:

Coconut Cream
Fruit Punch
Marlys
Sweet Tart
Taralay
Pickering

The only one that was of decent quality was a ZINC.
- Rob

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
The rain here looks like it starting to ease up. Is there any benefit to letting fruit stay on the trees longer while it dries up, or is the damage done? I've got a lot of mangoes that I could either pick now or maybe wait a week or two.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
Same with my early mango.  Glenn, Rosigold, and Cogshall.  Edible, but have lost that sweet flavor. I'm stlil eating them, just because that is all I have and they are healthy to eat.  I have people asking me for mango but not about to give them away due to the washout flavor.   My pickering however is really good right now.  Gonna pick them off the tree soon so the rodents don't get them first!

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
There is a linear drop of Brix vs rain in nectarines. Maybe mango has the same problem as nectarine.

Page 16 http://www.lowchillaustralia.com.au/items/289/Session%206_Nissen_pres.pdf

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 10:55:49 PM »

Had  an Ugly Betty this evening. Washed out flavor .. The ones in May were outstanding..

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 07:02:17 AM »
I'm glad I found this post; I thought it was just me! Yes, definitively all my mangoes taste kind of washed-out. Also I think size has been smaller in most. Add my complaints to the list...
Federico
Homestead, FL

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »
There is a linear drop of Brix vs rain in nectarines. Maybe mango has the same problem as nectarine.

Page 16 http://www.lowchillaustralia.com.au/items/289/Session%206_Nissen_pres.pdf
Thanks for the info, I just got around to looking at it.
I also liked the chart with Calcium centered and different factors believed to alter plants useage of calcium on page 20 of the 24 pages::::

I'll save some peoples time by copying and pasting below:::

"ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
Low soil and air temperature,soil moisture deficits, waterlogging may all reduce calcium uptake.
Cloudy conditions during fruit development will reduce transpiration movement of calcium
to the fruit

TREE GROWTH FACTORS
Excessive tree and shoot growth may compete with fruit.
Control of growth using dwarfing rootstocks/interstocks would be beneficial. Alternatively growth should be controlled through tipping, pruning, restricting nitrogen or growth retardants.

SOIL CALCIUM
Excessive calcium may displace magnesium uptake
Excessive potassium application may displace calcium uptake."