Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried airlayering bunya pines ?  (Read 1230 times)

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever tried airlayering bunya pines ?
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »
I would love to have a producing pair or male and female bunya pines and I have some seedlings I've planted but has anyone ever tried airlayering bunya pines ?
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever tried airlayering bunya pines ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:17:10 AM »
Where did you get seeds if I may ask? This is an awesome tree even just for its looks!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
I have a couple of them in pots, got them pre-germinated off eBay. Germination is hypogeal.

As for the question, I had looked into air-layering myself. Apparently, air-layering Araucarias gives poor results. I couldn't find if it could be done with terminal growth without killing the tree, and lateral branches keep their lateral growing characteristics once air-layered. I just decided to go the long haul with seedlings. 15 years to get a crop might seem a long time, but it's much shorter than the South American Araucarias, which can take 25. Plus, it handles heat better, as far as I could tell.

Also, I looked into dioecy issues extensively, and while a couple of sites differed (without giving much evidence), the general consensus was that the trees were monoecious. Any two can give a crop together, and there were even reports of isolated trees producing a crop. That's another advantage to the SA ones.

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
I got my seeds from someone on the forum a while back to answer your question

But that's good to know I think I'll just stick with seeds (I need to find more though) I'm working on a food forest and grow about everything from seed anyway, I know I might not live to see everything produce but oh well hopefully someone will
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk