Author Topic: Garcinia ID  (Read 1747 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Garcinia ID
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:46:44 PM »
While in Cuba 🇨🇺 along the Varadero Beach besides the weeds of Seagrapes all over I also noticed some of this Garcinia trees they were full of unripe fruits some of same or larger size than regular mangosteen, I picked two and put in my backpack, I thought they were seashore mangosteen but looking at them in the Internet I noticed is something else, now one of them open up to show some red pulp, any idea of what is it?

El verde es vida!

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia ID
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:49:01 AM »
Does it have any latex? What is the taste like? I do not think it is a Garcinia.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:26:39 AM »
When I saw your id, it reminded me of a photo I saved on my Pinterest board. The fruits are super cool looking! I searched for it an it looks like Clusia rosea aka Autograph tree. :) I believe it is in the same family as Garcinias. I've seen one at the Fruit & Spice Park (Growing by the bamboo garden? I think?). The fruits are poisonous and the trees supposedly are invasive. :/ They do have some medicinal value though.
Anisha

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
Does it have any latex? What is the taste like? I do not think it is a Garcinia.
when I cut it from the tree exude yellow latex as typical Garcinia, the leaves and tree looks like it, and the fruit itself looks for outside like a Mesta mangosteen, when the fruit opened obviously I saw it wasn't a fruit I tried little beat with my finger and it wasn't sweet..
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
El verde es vida!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
Looks a lot like a garcinia in ways. The leaves also look similar to clusia. Interesting for sure

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
It's called an Autograph tree or Balsam apple. Species name is Clusia major. It's in the Clusiaceae family but is not in the Garcinia genus.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 11:16:23 AM »
It's called an Autograph tree or Balsam apple. Species name is Clusia major. It's in the Clusiaceae family but is not in the Garcinia genus.
Yes looks like you got it Derek! I'm glad I just tried a little bit of flesh as it mentioned is poisoned, nice fruit shape do I thought when I saw it having discovered a exotic kind of mangosteen relative do! 😢
El verde es vida!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »
Called the 'Autograph' tree because folks scratch their names on the leaves and they last a very long time on the tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk