Author Topic: What happened to My Lychee and mango tree?  (Read 2298 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
What happened to My Lychee and mango tree?
« on: July 09, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
Hello, it seems that the lychee tree has horribly distorted leaves, along with some dieback after the 100 degree heat wave. The mango tree has distorted new growth, along with some bug holes, and some of the leaves are burning up. What is going on, and what can I do to stop this? I've been watering a ton since this heat wave.I also recently fertilized with soil conditioner  from happy tree frog. I also have a Carbon filter for an irrigation system I installed

Thanks, Matt

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to My Lychee and mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »
Seems like leafhopper damage

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
Got it, should I spray neem oil to kill the damn hoppers, i've been confusing it w/fungus this whole time.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 08:32:01 PM »
Got it, should I spray neem oil to kill the damn hoppers, i've been confusing it w/fungus this whole time.

Dnt spray neem oil during the heatwave as it will burn the leaves.

Best is to crush them with ur fingers.

Believe it or not, i have killed more than 100 this year.

With the lesion caused by the leafhopper, pathogen may enter.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »
Got it, I will crush the bugs one by one, they are so annoying!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »
I was having trouble with too much direct sunlight and too much heat with a couple white sapotes,
I put long bamboo stakes in the ground  and made a square and put frost cloth over the trees.
The trees survived and started looking better and the next winter I took the frost cloth off.
Now the two trees are pushing 10' tall and are dark green. This is the most intense sunlight of the
year and the leaves are a little yellow but the larger tree definitely can handle the summer much
better then the young tree. I don't think they would have survived without the cover? I have a
small black sapote in a 3 gallon pot and the same thing is happening now and I had to move
the pot to a different location. We don't have the brutal dry winds you have to deal with and you may have to
include sides. The frost cloth is easy to work with.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »

thanks for the post geez this whole time I thought those things are harmless :( I kept wondering why my mango tree wont get better.  I killed like over 20 over them on my little tree last night.  Hopefully it will get better now

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »

thanks for the post geez this whole time I thought those things are harmless :( I kept wondering why my mango tree wont get better.  I killed like over 20 over them on my little tree last night.  Hopefully it will get better now

believe or not whenever im at home i go out every 20minutes to check on those fuckers and crush them.... they are attracted to the trees that have new growths...

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 02:08:17 AM »
The Lychee needs soil acidification (Espoma has a product), preferably filtered water, and a pinch of micro nutrient mix. The shitty city water can cause the leaf malformation and brown tips (high ph and crap water). Chris
-Chris

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »
I checked today, and it seems there was some minor dieback on the lychee tree, I'm slightly worried, but the bottom leaves look great, I also fertilized with a light application of Chicken Manure today. Will it survive this year? And how many years till it establishes?

Thanks, Matt

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 11:31:48 PM »
Hi Matt.

Lychees can be tricky plants to grow. I bet members of this forum have killed a lot of them trying to push growth.

The most important things are to protect against wind damage and avoid fertilizer/solute burn.

The single best thing I've done for my lychees is put up wind barrier. I have container lychees and have minimized fertilizer burn a combination of things: using well draining soil (5-1-1) without dolomite, and fertilizing wiTh foliage pro plus pro tekt. The 5-1-1 allows for flushing the soil at will and removing excess salts. Excluding the dolomite keeps the soil acidic. FP is a fertilizer without urea nitrogen (won't burn) and has all essential micro and macro nutrients. I've also used mycorrhizae but dunno how much it's helped.

I've gone through a lot of fertilizers (organic, kelp, fish, etc) and most of the organic and conventional fertilizers vacaused burning of the leaves or killed the lychee.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk