Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Momordica dioica  (Read 105 times)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Momordica dioica
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
First harvest of M.dioica fruits from my vines.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: Momordica dioica
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »
Those look interesting. What are they like? And how are they used? They look like cucumbers crossed with bitter melon, but I haven't tasted the latter one yet, so I have no flavor reference.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »
These are related to 'bitter gourd', but not bitter at all. I just made a stir fry, after slicing them and removing the seeds, mixing with a little oil, salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Excellent!!

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »
Sounds so good... I love bitter gourd! I haven't been successful growing them yet though, but there is an Asian grocery about 100miles away from me where I pick them up sometimes. Actually, I don't find bitter gourd all that bitter either. Maybe it's just the ones I'm eating. They have a nice texture that is not slimy when cooked, a bright mild flavor, and take on the flavor of whatever sauce/seasoning you add so well!

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 08:38:37 AM »
LP, if you like bitter gourd, you will love these even better. They are more crunchier than bitter gourd. If you would like I can send you seeds at the end of winter there. When it becomes warm the seeds will sprout and grow into vines and fruit in three months. I also have another species, M.sahyadrica, the photo of which I will post soon.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers