Author Topic: Soursop and Guava  (Read 4064 times)

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Soursop and Guava
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »
I recently planted these from a 3 gallon container and wonder what to expect. The soursop was from seed and is 3 feet tall, the Guava came from Walmart with a ,Pine ,island info tag but no variety name other than showing a pink inside . What variety might this be?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop and Guava
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
You will most likely need to give the soursop protection during the winter, especially when young.  It may be a struggle for production and survival without providing a lot of care.

The guava, could be anything.  If its PI's generic color info tag, the pink color does not mean it will be pink however odds are it is a pink variety.   Most common commercially grown down here are Ruby Supreme and Barbie Pink
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
It depends what area of Port Saint Lucie your in for soursop.  I have a neighbor who planted out soursop from seed and his plants are now about 7 years old and fruiting.

If your in PSL West it may be harder to grow some stuff like soursop. I had young soursop seedlings that survived 37 to 39f for about 2 nights and some of them did not defoliate. House is only 1mi from the river though and closer to intercoastal. It's definitely a solid zone 10a.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
I bought my soursop in 2014 as a large 3 gal or small 7 gallon and at 10'+ tall it bloomed this year and ultimately lost the blooms. Everything I buy I expect they will keep fruit in their own time frame, not mine :-)

One of the several "Mexican Cream" guava I got from Lowes was also pink inside, it "ripened" yellow / green outside and nicely pink inside but it had no flavor at all. The rest of the MC I got there were all a green type, all different shapes, all white fleshed, flavorless, and some had seeds as hard as stones. I'm done buying anything that says "guava" there.
Regards,

Gary

sidney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »
I live a mile west of thevSt Lucie river in PSL so maybe I will do ok with the soursop this winter, the leaves get a black fungus , just some and using copper to control. The Walmart guava is three months in the ground, growing well and holding a handful of egg sized green fruit. I hate to waste time on a tasteless variety, time will tell. I bought it for the health benefits of high vitamin C.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
I have the same issues with my soursop they bloom late summer early fall and fruitlets drop in November/December. 
Anyone know of a variety that blooms in spring?

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
My soursop is unnamed and bloomed in early May but, it lost all of them.
Regards,

Gary

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
I have the same issues with my soursop they bloom late summer early fall and fruitlets drop in November/December. 
Anyone know of a variety that blooms in spring?

Frank, i have heard that to induce flowering & eventually turn fruit. Keep the tree warm & most importantly dont let your guanabana defoliate during the cold spells or else u get no fruit.

sidney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »
Has anyone made tea from the leaves from the soursop? If so what method do you do?

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 05:55:39 PM »
I've made the tea but there is research that indicates that it induces Parkinson's. I bring water to a boil turn off the stove, drop the leaves and let it steep for 10 minutes. It has a pretty neutral taste with no need to add sugar or honey

sidney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
Parkinson's!!!

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 10:56:50 PM »
Ahhh... more junk research. Funny they NEVER go to cultures where the population eats soursop from birth to see if the incidence is larger than the world population(s).
Regards,

Gary

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »
i got 2 guava from Lowes a few years ago for $2 each
they were obviously mislabeled
the white turned out to be pink, and the pink, white.

that said, the white in under 2 years was producing lots
of very tasty large fruit.
it was custardy, soft and sweet.
Probably the best tasting guava ive ever had

the white died in January freeze we had (coldest night ive seen in 15 yrs)
the pink froze to the trunk, but is coming back.
The fruit from the pink was never that good.
i am giving it one more year to produce, if the fruit isnt good, it gets the axe.

i just got another on sale for $1. (%90 off)
the trunk is thicker than my thumb and it seems healthy
(was called  "Tropic pink" i think)

lots of info on Soursop at NIH
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gquery/?term=Annona+muricata

heres the stuff on Parkinsons.

Chronic consumption of Annona muricata juice triggers and aggravates cerebral tau phosphorylation in wild-type and MAPT transgenic mice.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27569447

Atypical unclassifiable parkinsonism on Guadeloupe: an environmental toxic hypothesis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16092100

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
Here in the DR I have a Soursop in a container,  I have already got two fruit from it this year, and has two more about half way,  and new flowers as well.    its a seedling,  I am sure if I had it planted in the ground it would produce like mad.    I only mention this , I see folks say they flower once,  but I believe in spring , summer, they basically produce continually.   also from seedling I think I got my fruit when tree was about 2 years old.     So you could just keep it in a container for a couple years, bringing it indoors, or in a location that would protect it from cold snaps.  allow it to get bigger, then plant in ground later.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »
Ahhh... more junk research. Funny they NEVER go to cultures where the population eats soursop from birth to see if the incidence is larger than the world population(s).

Soursop natives regions don't have tea drinking tradition. It's something westerners came up with recently. Fuit and leaf have different modes of action. It's quite unproven long term, please exercise caution.

sidney

• View Profile
Re: Guava
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
Just got my first fruit from the Ruby Supreme guava. Very nice, yeiilw, tender, few seeds!  Fragrant fruit. Shared it with a friend and now he wants one. We went to 5 places but no luck, but one place has Barbie Pink that is supposed to be as good and larger fruit. Anyone can offer ideas?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »

Soursop natives regions don't have tea drinking tradition. It's something westerners came up with recently. Fuit and leaf have different modes of action. It's quite unproven long term, please exercise caution.

background:
 The use of natural product medicines has emerged from traditional to modern therapy in order to increase the quality of health worldwide.
 Nature-derived medicines are considered safer. The leaves of soursop ( Annona muricata L.)
 has long been used by certain local communities in Indonesia as an alternative treatment of bacterial diseases
https://www.scribd.com/document/249142740/Study-of-the-Antibacterial-Activities-of-Soursop-Annona-Muricata-L-Leaves

Annona muricata is a member of the Annonaceae family and is a fruit tree with a
long history of traditional use.

A wide array of ethnomedicinal activities is contributed to different
parts of A. muricata, and indigenous communities in Africa and South America extensively
use this plant in their folk medicine.
All portions of the A. muricata tree, similar to other Annona species, including A. squamosa and
A. reticulata are extensively used as traditional medicines against an array of human ailments and
diseases, especially cancer and parasitic infections.
The leaves are employed to
treat cystitis, diabetes, headaches and insomnia. Moreover, internal administration of the leaf’s decoction
is believed to exhibit anti-rheumatic and neuralgic effects, whereas the cooked leaves are topically
used to treat abscesses and rheumatism
. In South America and tropical Africa, including Nigeria, leaves of
A. muricata are deployed as an ethnomedicine against tumors and cancer

more...
www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/16/7/15625/pdf

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
In 9b as well. There are a few in my neighborhood I have learned about on our gardening FB page. My neighbor across the street has a fairly large one in ground he doesn't live there to protect. I am going to get some seeds from it I think and grow one myself when I replace yet another citrus tree.