Author Topic: Mango Leaves Yellowing (inside of leaf)  (Read 1555 times)

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
Mango Leaves Yellowing (inside of leaf)
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
So, three of my mango seedlings (no-name, store bought mangos - no idea what pedigree they carry), about 9 months old and they've been in the ground for about 45 days now.  Some of the top leaves have started to turn yellow in the center.  See attached pics.

Any idea what mineral deficiency this is or are there other problems here?

No real fertilizer applied yet - just a little bit of home depot citrus fertilizer when they were first transplanted.

Watered every third day if it didn't rain, but most of the time its rained at least once every three days so I haven't watered much.

No organic material added to the ground around them other than the dirt when they were transplanted with.  The general soil around them is a "builders sand".

These 3 haven't flushed since I transplanted them.  The other mango's that I have in pots have each flushed twice during this time, and the mangos i put in the ground at the same time have each flushed once in that time.

The leaves on the middle plant are a bit "brittle" and seem a bit drier than the other leaves.

Any ideas what to do here?

thanks

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Leaves Yellowing (inside of leaf)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
It could be sunburn

Simon

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
They had been getting full sun since around January when they were in the pots and the ones currently in the pots that were started at the same time have no issues.

I have about 4 others in the ground now that are not exhibiting the same symptoms even though basically everything else is the same - age, sun, soil and rain/watering.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »
Yellow in the middle while the edge stays green and the brown spots in some yellow parts, this could be a magnesium deficiency. Try to clear the area around the trunks and hit it with Cal-Mag or something with high magnesium.
Thera

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:47:31 PM »
I generally think of Mg deficiency as spear shaped with the inside spear being green and the perimeter being yellow. Mg is also mobile so I would think the lower, older leaves would turn yellow first. If un hardened growth were transitioned to full sunlight, there may be partial bleaching from the sun and because seedlings grow at different rates, their leaves may have been at different maturity levels.

What didn't make sense to me is that you mentioned there was quite a bit of rain so I'm assuming there must have been some cloudy weather which pokes holes in my theory unless you had strong sun intermittent with the rain.

Simon

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
Simon,

We've had classic Central Florida weather, except its been hotter than normal, though nothing like some pf you guys in Cali have had.  I've had a bunch of days at 99, a couple at 100 and even hit 102 on Saturday here.  I'm in a bit of a micro climate and seem to be about 2-4 degrees warmer in the summer than the surrounding area - which generally means:

08am - 80 and sunny
09am - 90 and sunny
10am - 03pm - 95+ and mostly sunny
03pm - 06pm - 95+ until the storms hit then mid '80s
06pm - 09pm - gradually back up to 90 then down to uppper 70's or low 80's at night

The main reason for the thought it wasn't sunburn was those plants have had full sun since right after they sprouted.  I hardened them on our porch for a week, then did 2 weeks in partial sun, then from January - June when they were planted in the ground they had full on sun every day as we really didn't have much in terms of rain then - maybe 1 day, and they were doing well in the pots, and since the pots were black they were baking in them so much that in May I had to water every day.  The ground, i thought, would be better for them and they took the transplant well, just that the worst one started yellowing about 14 days ago and the other 2 started yellowing about 10 days ago.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
That looks like dr campbell method of fruiting mango.
No maybe you had mites at some point
Sun?
Emulsifiable Concentrates applied in heat or sun=pesticide ,oils, even botanicals
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:25:35 AM by shot »