Author Topic: New member again  (Read 3010 times)

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
New member again
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Hello fellow tropical fruit enthusiasts, my name is Allan and I live in San Diego, California.
To make a long story short, I was already a member of this forum about a year ago for several months, but was unable to login. I had forgotten my password and when I tried to retrieve it - there was nothing sent to my e-mail. After several tries, I've decided that it would be easier to start over (with a new username), so here I am. I've always enjoyed reading all the posts in this forum and learned so much from all the experienced members. I'm a fairly new gardener; about 3 years growing tropical plants. I'm just glad to be back in this forum!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: New member again
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
Welcome back! What are your top five fruits and what are you currently growing?

Simon

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 05:03:03 PM »
Thanks Simon, I specially value your discussions, being that we're  from the same neck of the woods. To answer your questions, my top 5 fruits would be: purple mangosteen, soursop, sugar apple, mangoes and chico (sorry, I don't know any of the scientific names).
I'm currently growing mangoes, atemoyas, cherimoyas, dragon fruits, guavas, chicos, sugar apples, a joboticaba and miracle fruit. I'll upload pictures later.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
That's a nice spread of fruit trees you have already. I'm especially interested in what varieties of Mango you are growing. I'm very interested in hearing everyone's successes and failures with the different varieties of mangos grown in San Diego.

Simon

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:55:26 PM »
Hello fellow tropical fruit enthusiasts, my name is Allan and I live in San Diego, California.
To make a long story short, I was already a member of this forum about a year ago for several months, but was unable to login. I had forgotten my password and when I tried to retrieve it - there was nothing sent to my e-mail. After several tries, I've decided that it would be easier to start over (with a new username), so here I am. I've always enjoyed reading all the posts in this forum and learned so much from all the experienced members. I'm a fairly new gardener; about 3 years growing tropical plants. I'm just glad to be back in this forum!

Lots of members never return to forum.
I had been anonymous for a while and recently registered. Welcome back!

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »
That's a nice spread of fruit trees you have already. I'm especially interested in what varieties of Mango you are growing. I'm very interested in hearing everyone's successes and failures with the different varieties of mangos grown in San Diego.

Simon
I hope the pictures uploaded. I have Nam doc mai, Lemon zest and Manila in the ground. And, Maha Chanok and Sweet tart in pots. All from Florida except the Manila from Laverne.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:41:08 PM »
Welcome back! Beautiful trees, they look well cared for. More pics please, especially the chico! 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
Nice trees, the Manilla fruit is usually not very good but the tree makes a good rootstock. Hopefully yours will turn out to have high quality fruit. I typically remove all the fruit from smaller trees unless I want to verify I got the correct varieties or I'm purposefully stunting the trees growth to restrict size. You selected some really nice varieties and I also saw your Dragonfruit set up which is very clean. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Simon

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:46:16 AM »
This is the first time that the Manila is holding fruits to a decent size without dropping them, so I'll finally get to try and decide if I want to top work it next year. Should I thin out the fruits or let them drop naturally? And, yes thanks for noticing my DF set up 😊 I'm a little OCD, if you haven't noticed, lol!

-Allan

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »
I would have thinned out most of the fruit from each cluster only leaving 1-2 fruit so that the remaining fruit will be larger and higher quality. You will get fewer fruit but more flesh and less seeds and skin, thus improving the quality. I thin my fruit when they are about marble to thumb size. Sometimes over thining may cause the tree to drop all remaining fruit so just be aware.

Simon

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
Welcome back! Beautiful trees, they look well cared for. More pics please, especially the chico!
Thanks, here's some photos of my mini orchard 🙂 Besides the mangoes:

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Oops, what happened to the pictures. Let me try again.

-Allan

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:11:05 PM by SoCal »

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »
Sorry, it wouldn't allow me to upload all the pictures at the same time, so I had to do a couple of separate uploads...

-Allan

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
Looks awesome.  I can see you are up above the neighors.  Is the yard facing south too?
Brad Spaugh

SoCal

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »
Looks awesome.  I can see you are up above the neighors.  Is the yard facing south too?

Thanks, most of my plants faces East. But they don't seemed to mind.

-Allan