Author Topic: Marula trees in need of a good home  (Read 1877 times)

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
Marula trees in need of a good home
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
5 Marula trees Sclerocarya birrea in 5 gal. pots need to be planted out or repotted. Seed originated from South Africa, the trees are about 5 years old and 4-6 feet tall. They are too large to ship, so pick-up would be preferred (North-Central Florida)

I am willing to entertain all offers; would trade for grafted Atemoyas, cold-hardy grafted avocados, and/or grafted Duncan grapefruit.

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Re: Marula trees in need of a good home
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
That's awesome I'd love to get these don't have anything to trade though whoever does get them will be lucky :)
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »
A google search shows these trees are dioecious and grow very large. Lots of nutritional value in the fruits and the nuts and other medicinal uses of the bark, etc. I don't find anything that indicates cold hardiness. If one had room, it would be great to grow these trees.
Erica

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
Erica I can help you guys on hardyness :)

Year old seedlings seem to easily tolerate -1C without problems. Older plants even better. I have a 3 year old that went through 0C recently and even the thin branch tips a few mm wide are bright green when scratched no problem. I think the plant has great cold tolerance when dormant but I am a dry winter area and I have feeling that like Baobab very wet roots while cold not be a good combo. I just give little bit of water so soil doesnt completly dry out and go all dead in winter.

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
5 Marula trees Sclerocarya birrea in 5 gal. pots need to be planted out or repotted. Seed originated from South Africa, the trees are about 5 years old and 4-6 feet tall. They are too large to ship, so pick-up would be preferred (North-Central Florida)

I am willing to entertain all offers; would trade for grafted Atemoyas, cold-hardy grafted avocados, and/or grafted Duncan grapefruit.

I am interested. Would you be willing to sell them? If so how much? Message me if you like
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
The marula trees have been claimed. Thank you.