Author Topic: Mango scions to refrigerate or to refrigerate not  (Read 8450 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango scions to refrigerate or to refrigerate not
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »
Yes it's safe to leave the parafilm to fall apart on it's own 95% of the time. 
I have had a few growing grafts die from mold because of the parafilm retaining too much moisture.
If you see heavy condensation inside the parafilm then you should remove or puncture a hole in the parafilm to prevent rotting.

Good point.  Same has happened to some mango grafts for me and the reason being is they weren't active yet.  If the graft is slow to push like one I recently did of a Peach Cobbler then I cut off the top of the Buddy tape twistee part.  The new mango scion point is green and about 1/4" long but it's like it went dormant.  We're also getting on with fall so things are getting a bit cooler.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »
"It's not going to get in if you wrapped it properly starting from the bottom up and past the top of the rootstock about an inch. "

Well, my veneer graft was for re-work a larger mango, so the top of the root stock is too tall to cover, and I don't think the uncovered rootstock is the problem, but the scion. As the scion sent out new growth, Walter Zill said to uncover it and I agreed with him. So after the top of the scion is uncovered to let the new growth exposed, how do you prevent water get into the two side-channels?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
I know the answer: build a small roof flashing above the scion to divert the water away :)

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »
"It's not going to get in if you wrapped it properly starting from the bottom up and past the top of the rootstock about an inch. "

Well, my veneer graft was for re-work a larger mango, so the top of the root stock is too tall to cover, and I don't think the uncovered rootstock is the problem, but the scion. As the scion sent out new growth, Walter Zill said to uncover it and I agreed with him. So after the top of the scion is uncovered to let the new growth exposed, how do you prevent water get into the two side-channels?

I'm talking about condensation that builds up from within the parafilm, it is perspiration from the plant tissue, not water getting inside from rain or watering.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »

I'm talking about condensation that builds up from within the parafilm, it is perspiration from the plant tissue, not water getting inside from rain or watering.

I was discussing about rain water get inside with Mark,  and not about condensation, so I don't understand why the need to defend it?

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »

I was discussing about rain water get inside with Mark,  and not about condensation, so I don't understand why the need to defend it?

Mark quoted my post about condensation in the parafilm, so I want to be clear what I was talking about. 
I just want clarity to make this info more useful to other members.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 07:59:46 PM »
No problem, but I just confused because you responded with quote to my post, which has zero part of what you discussed about condensation :) A case of bad signal crossing?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »

Sapote I don't know the name in English but there's a paste, like paint is black color usually is found in places for gardening products is useful for cover parts of the trees who lost bark, and also is good for sealing the grafts from the top in rainy season...
El verde es vida!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
I know the answer: build a small roof flashing above the scion to divert the water away :)

There ya go.  We all could use a roof over our heads once in a while.

Moisture I speak of is condensation from the tissue off gassing moisture.  They say it breathes which may be true but it also does what it was designed to do, quite well - holds in moisture.  I've sprayed my woods with a fungicide as a preventative too before grafting.  Worked with avocados.   

Raul, that paste is a sealer usually a petro type.  Not recommended as it can actually impede healing and induce fungi rot.

Here's the science behind it much better explained than I could ever do - https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/wound-sealer.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk