Author Topic: CA Keiit rootstock  (Read 2085 times)

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
CA Keiit rootstock
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
Does California Keitt make a good rootstock for SoCal?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: CA Keiit rootstock
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
Yes it does, it grows vigorously with a thick trunk for a seedling. Keitt seedlings will require heat to sprout at this time of year.

Simin

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:46:49 PM »
Thanks, Simon.  I have them on a hydroponic heat mat, and they've been germinating rapidly

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:59:49 PM »
from my experience Keitt seedlings are slow growers

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:24:14 PM »
Slow and steady wins the race....   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tortoise_and_the_Hare

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »

Which ones are fastest?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 01:22:18 PM »

Which ones are fastest?

Manila type e.g. carabao, corriente, Philippine also indochinese mangos are vigorous and make great rootstock in SoCal

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »
This is the best rootstock for SoCal  Petacon mango from Colima one year on the ground over 8’

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
Wow, that growth rate is unbelievable! The Petacon mango must be hard to come by, this is my first time hearing of it.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
My best recommendation for those trying to grow out Mango seedlings is to plant many different types of mango seeds and see which ones grow best in your soil and climate. Monoembryonic seedlings can be very different from each other. For example, if you plant 100 Keitt seeds, not all the seedlings will grow at the same rate and needless to say, all 100 seedlings can have completely different tasting fruit from each other. Having noted this disclaimer, from my personal highly unscientific observations, the majority of Monoembryonic seedlings arising from planting’s of Kent/Keitt for example will grow in a similar manner and rate of growth with very similar phenotypic attributes, as a seedling. I have not grown any to maturity so far so I cannot say how they will turn out when fully mature.

This makes some sense because all Monoembryonic seedlings share at least one parent for a given variety so approximately 50% of its genetics is shared between these Monoembryonic seedlings. When I say that I have observed similar phenotypic characteristics between seedlings from Monoembryonic seeds, I mean that even their leaf shape, size, color, texture and even the smell of their sap is very similar to each other. I am Not saying that they are clones but I am hypothesizing that many of the fruit from these Monoembryonic varieties are actually selfed and share many of the same genes.

More assumptions can be made with Polyembryonic seedlings but the issue arises about which seedling is actually the clone and I don’t want to go into details about this as I’ve explained it numerous times already.

So, to make a long story longer, plant many kinds of seeds both Monoembryonic and Polyembryonic and plant multiple varieties of each in order to pull from a wider gene pool. Every gardener will have slightly different soil and climate so there is no single best rootstock for everyone although there may be some exceptional rootstocks that generally work well in many areas such as Florida Turpentine rootstock for trees grown in Florida. By planting diverse seeds, you let the seeds show you which one prefers your specific location the best. Select the strongest most vigorous seedling and if growing in marginal climates especially in regards to cold weather, don’t graft with mature scion until your tree is established and fruiting size or else it will flower and waste energy.

I used to highly recommend Lavern Manilla rootstock and I still do because it is widely available for most gardeners in SoCal but I have found that most random seedlings work really well and I’m getting even faster growth with some random seedlings compared to Lavern Manilla. If you use Lavern Manilla, or any potted Mango tree for that matter, you must ensure it is not root/pot bound and the sooner you get it into the ground, the better. A Lavern Manilla stuck in a pot for many months or years before being planted out will very likely show stunted growth.

Simon