Author Topic: If You Live In California  (Read 2367 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
If You Live In California
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
Sky Valley HEIRLOOM Navel Oranges season is beginning. The limited offering of this premium citrus will begin shipping next week, and is expected to last into March. The older a citrus tree gets, generally the better tasting citrus they produce. The limited crop of this heirloom variety was originally PLANTED IN THE 1930s, (trees are now 85 years old) and is now harvested from a single ranch for the duration of the season, ensuring consistent flavor and quality. Sky Valley Heirloom Navel Oranges TRULY represent quality over quantity and are unmatched in the citrus category as the only citrus grower that supplies heirloom navels from a single ranch, meaning retailers never have to worry about mixed results during the season; Sky Valley Heirloom Navels taste as great at the end of the season as they do at the beginning.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:26:46 PM by Millet »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: If You Live In California
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:55:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Millet, I believe I saw them on sale last year at Trader Joe’s. I’ll definitely pick up a bag if I see it at the market.

Simon

Rayjete

• Escondido CA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:27:08 PM »
Should be delicious, thank you!

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
I saw an article on these oranges a while back.  They said the quality was from the fact that the trees were old and grafted onto sour orange rootstock.  Sour orange yields a very high quality fruit.  As you all know very few citrus in California are grafted onto sour orange because of it susceptibility to tristeza virus.  I guess this source of oranges is somewhat unique in that respect.

-Brett

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
I bought a bag of these at a Trader Joe's in Pennsylvania the other day.  They're noticeably better than the regular navel oranges I've gotten recently.  Thanks for the tip.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to have a mature Navel Orange tree that produces excellent fruit.  I may stop by Trader Joes though and try a few.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
here is another specially citrus picked off of 100 year old California citrus trees.
http://www.freshplaza.com/article/187685/California-specialty-citrus-brand-sees-increase-in-sales

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »
I think I saw Vintage Sweets at Costco in Montgomery the other day. If not the same it was very similar branding because I’d never noticed it before.

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 09:09:24 PM »
Japanese tier oranges? I wonder how much they cost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk