Author Topic: Pomelo Citrus maxima SEEDLING fruiting  (Read 1438 times)

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
Pomelo Citrus maxima SEEDLING fruiting
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:49:50 AM »
During my recent trip to Davao i saw several plantations of grafted red pomelo trees .
The most common varieties are  Delacruz and the well known Magallanes.
They are mainly seedless with pink flesh and  extremely pleasant and  sweet flavour,
In the wild is not ncommon to see pomelo seedlings like this one;

Typical citrus seedling growing habit (same like lemon) UPRIGHT and VERY THORNY.

This seedlings was very big and was probably 10-15 years old (accourding to the land owner )  bearing several big fruits.
This is a prove that a citrus seedling will eventually fruit after its juvenile period .
It's not true as some people say that a seedling will never bear fruit!
Note how green and healthy it looked despite being completely disregarded. Probably the deep fertile soil and the warm humid climate ae playing a big role.

I decided to get some risk (and some scratches) to climb the tree and harvest a ripe  fruit

Skin was yellow and surprisingly thin.
This is how  the peeled fruit looked

Flesh was light yellow not so sour, quite sweet but with a strong bitter aftertaste.
Obvoiusly not a commercial variety  :D

Lorenzo

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Pomelo Citrus maxima SEEDLING fruiting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »
Thank you, it's very interesting!  ;D

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:36:40 PM »
Commercial high quality pummelos are sweet with no bitter after taste.  The probable reason for the bitter after taste in the fruit you picked was due to the tree being a seedling grown tree.   Pummelo do not come true from seed. Therefore, the seedling tree was not the same as its mother. Who knows what the tree is genetically. Seedling tree's are a new never seen before tree, and are generally, but not always, inferior   As with Louisport, I also enjoyed the pictures and link of your post.  Thanks for sharing.  Nice post.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:50:05 AM »
Exactly, all citrus seedlings eventually  flower and bear fruits but coming from a seed thus from a sexual propagation genetical variability creates a completely new plant that can be sometimes very different from parents.
In my garden i've 2 magallanes red grafted pomelos and one seedling. They are all about 4 years old and for now no fruits. I'm quite curious to see what will be the outcome of the seedling tree, hopefully not bitter like the wild one i posted about.

Lorenzo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk