Author Topic: mammee americana  (Read 1989 times)

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
mammee americana
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:58:20 AM »
is mammee americana a nice fruit? On internet nobody say that it is nice...is it nice?

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
Re: mammee americana
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »
The fruit is great and a beautiful tree to boot. Definitely nice, worth growing.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »
It is a nice fruit, one of my wife's favorites.  The texture of the flesh is firm, not quite crisp but almost -- very different from most tropical fruits.  Flavor is often compared to apricot and sometimes raspberries.  The ones I have tried have an essence of these fruits but the flavor is not strongly "in your face" of these fruits.  It is worth growing & the seedlings seem to grow pretty vigorously.  Be aware that the seeds are big (but so are the fruits) so shipping may be more expensive.

John

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
I read that it taste like apricot with..........onions! Don't know if i like that.

I have to choose between green sapote or mammee americana, don't know which one i want.

Are there named varieties in  mammee?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
I tried mammee americana at the Kampong years ago, and it was delicious. No onion flavor, lol. Don't know where that comes from, but it was nothing but tasty and enjoyable. Was told the trees get very large, wish had room for one.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
I read that it taste like apricot with..........onions! Don't know if i like that.

I have to choose between green sapote or mammee americana, don't know which one i want.

Are there named varieties in  mammee?
Never detected onion at all, yes there are a few selections were the seeds doesn't cling to the flesh, only one seed, good orange color instead of yellow and more sugar conten, but most importantly hermaphrodite, as there is also male trees, I just graft some scions from a Martinique selection call "Sonson"
El verde es vida!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 10:19:48 AM »

I can have grafted tree of this one....have many seeds but is big fruit.

Is this better than green sapote ? I never have seen those fruit...

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »
The fruit is very different from green sapote so asking which is better is like asking what is better a banana or a salak -- you will get very different opinions depending upon peoples' likes & dislikes.  They are both good fruits but very different -- plant both if you have room.

I have never detected onion in a mamey apple.

Even if you have a few seeds like the one pictured, there is a lot of flesh on these as the fruits are large.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
I do have several mamee americana (in Brazil know as apricot do Pará) in my garden. They are   Dioecious   so better get three seedlings.
Germinated from seed they take 5-7 years to fruit. You know they are ripe when they fall to the ground.  Taste like apricot/mango, although mamee has one taste and mangos come with several tastes.  You can consume fruit or make ice cream

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:27:10 PM »
I don’t think it is correct that it has to be a very large tree.  A medium size tree, way smaller than green sapote could be planted at 6-8m spacing.
Peter

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
Glad to note that, Peter.  mammee americana really succumbs to cool winters in my greenhouse, but still have one in 15 gallons.  I do fruit the green sapote in the GH, so maybe this fruit might be possible.

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »
I had Mammee americana at the Fruit and Spice Park and it was really great. To me it tasted strongly of apricot, but much more fragrant. I bought three plants as soon as I could find them, even though I will have to be diligent about pruning them and protecting them from cold.