Author Topic: Artocarpus lacucha - plant or not  (Read 1640 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Artocarpus lacucha - plant or not
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
Got two saplings, seem to be doing good in my weather here, so far much more resilient to the the humidity shifts than Jackfruit and Durian.  How is the taste? Would you plant it instead of another mango tree?  I figure they need just as much space.   

Can they be pruned?  Do they need cross pollination?  Will they handle wet feet, clay soil, or occasionally flooding?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Artocarpus lacucha - plant or not
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:11:06 AM »
They are smaller than mango trees and taste a bit like sloppy apricot. They don't need to x-pollinate, are fine with clay soil and at least as resilient with wet feet as mango. They are pretty good so plant it. They are under-rated and have nice fruit.Kwai muk is another Aetocarpus which is very good and should be planted more.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:07:58 AM »
They are smaller than mango trees and taste a bit like sloppy apricot. They don't need to x-pollinate, are fine with clay soil and at least as resilient with wet feet as mango. They are pretty good so plant it. They are under-rated and have nice fruit.Kwai muk is another Aetocarpus which is very good and should be planted more.

Good info Mike

I have heard there are Kwai muk and then there are Kwai muk. Do you no know a source that has quality genetics over here? Are they usually seed grown? I had heard cutting some where but seems weird for artocarpus

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »
I have two lakoocha trees that flower, then seem to drop the fruits before they develop.  Not too sure what’s going on and I don’t know why I keep putting off eliminating them.
I have high hopes for a couple of two year old Kwai muk that are coming along nicely.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 03:21:41 PM »
I have two lakoocha trees that flower, then seem to drop the fruits before they develop.  Not too sure what’s going on and I don’t know why I keep putting off eliminating them.
I have high hopes for a couple of two year old Kwai muk that are coming along nicely.

I have 2 lakoocha also , how long did yours take to start flowering ?

Only one Kwai Muk , extremely happy with it , after a few fruitings it produces now incredible quantities of fruit ...and great fruit ... 
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »
I use to have a Kwai Muk, was the fastest Grower on my orchard, in only about 8 years had a nice spread canopy, started fruiting about 4/5 years the second year gave delicious golf balls size fruits, yellow skin and pink flesh with dehidrated apricot flavor, after that most of the time was flowering and setting fruits but somehow just right before the fruit ripen they fell down and didn't finish ripening after that, they did grow to full size but for some reason fell just before fully ripe, so after three years of same habits and tree growing fast and started to shadow a Mangosteen and competing with Marang neighbor for space I decided to Axe it, opening space for four Russell sweet Garcinia....
El verde es vida!

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
awesome good to hear it is resilient as mango.   I'll put them in the sandy topsoil/clay bottom area the mangoes are in
now.  Save my red dirt highlands for other trees.