Author Topic: New Grafts from CCPP Budwood  (Read 1392 times)

Kelley_GA8a

• Stockbridge, GA USA 8a
    • View Profile
New Grafts from CCPP Budwood
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
Hi everyone! I received budwood of 4 lemon varieties from the CCPP a few weeks ago: NZL, Interdonato, Villafranca, and Femminello Siracusano 2KR. At 3 weeks, all of the grafts are still green. What are your favorite types of lemons? I have Santa Teresa, Genoa, Zagara Bianca, Lunario, Bearss, and a Pink Variegated Eureka. None of them have fruited yet, so I can’t choose a favorite. I’m going to have lemons coming out of my ears when they do :).

-Kelley

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: New Grafts from CCPP Budwood
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
I've grown Santa Teresa, Genoa, Harvey and NZL.   My LEAST favorite lemon  variety is the Pink variegated Eureka. It sets very sparse crops.  Genoa was OK, but I much prefer Santa Teresa.  NZL is a good growing tree, which I normally eat the fruit out of hand during the year. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:54:51 PM by Millet »

Kelley_GA8a

• Stockbridge, GA USA 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 12:01:15 AM »
Thanks, Millet! I’ve heard both good and bad about the PVE, but it was so pretty, I couldn’t pass it up. I can’t wait to try the Santa Teresa, though I’m wondering if the Siracusano will be better.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »
I like the Italian lemons the best & agree the pink lemon is the least liked.

mehmetsaygin

• Adana
    • View Profile
    • I design mobile games
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
We are growing Interdonato, Euroka, Lisbon, Meyer and few local varieties.
I like the taste of Euroka most. I enjoy Interdonato too but the tree and the fruit is too delicate to deal with :D
As Millet mentioned PVE sets very sparse fruit, I walk around the tree to find lemons but "the look", it worths the space it takes.

I sent PVE fruits to a gourmet writer, he loved the fruit, both the look and the taste and wanted me to grow more trees to provide enough lemons for their hotel partners, so that they can make "pink lemon sorbet" for hotel visitors. Unfortunately it is not wise to grow PVE commercially, it is a waste of land.

I've never tasted NZL,  Villafranca or Femminello Siracusano 2KR, I hope you enjoy them.