Author Topic: Companion planting/inter planting  (Read 2666 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Companion planting/inter planting
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:10:30 AM »
Just wanted to share a picture...took it on my way to work...I've seen this in my neighborhood at a couple houses...the residents are Haitian...not sure if its a common practice or the benefits of it but they seem to plant the coconut and avocado trees in the same hole...any thoughts? Maybe root systems allow for them to be planted this close???

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Companion planting/inter planting
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
It seems like a bad idea... I'm trying to think how it could be beneficial. The growth habits of both would not likely allow for optimal growth of either.

I think it may be one of those situations where one person on your neighborhood did it and someone convinced the others to do it. Or maybe it's a cultural thing that's more anecdotal than actually beneficial.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:55 AM »
I thought about it further... Maybe they don't want coconut production? Their coconut pruning practices are detrimental to fruit production. They should leave a lot more leaves on the tree.

I could see such a closely planted companion tree with a coconut work if the coconut was a little bit taller to begin with. When the trees are both planted relatively young like those are, it looks like it would cause a lot more problems for a few years and not be worth it. If the coconut tree had about 10ft of wood, you could possibly plant a fruit tree underneath it and it would get some sun at different times throughout the day and it may be productive.

Overall, I think they would be better off with one coconut tree and one avocado tree. They could take care of each tree properly and get optimal production.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »
Or maybe the avocado seeds were stuck in potted palms then eventually planted.  They should have stuck a mango seed in the hole for good measure!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
Or maybe the avocado seeds were stuck in potted palms then eventually planted.  They should have stuck a mango seed in the hole for good measure!

Looking at the pic once again, you're right. They look like seedlings and not grafted trees. The leave growth habit up the trunk look very much like a seedling. Leading me to further believe that these people do not know what they are doing.

Also, I think there is a small papaya seedling, and a pineapple growing next to one of the coconut/avocados as well.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
No benefit planting those trees so close together,  I would not be surprised if its something to do with superstition.  Haitians i know are very superstitious about almost everything.  next chance I get I will ask about this.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "