Author Topic: Mallika mango trees for sale, central Palm Beach County, photos attached  (Read 3833 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Pictures now attached.   And did I mention that a free Lamancha buckling comes with each purchase?

One tree is less than two feet tall, in the ground (you dig), for $5.00.

The other is approximately 5 feet tall, in an air root pot, for $15.00.  I need the pot back.

Neither looks great, but both would come around with some care.

pm  me if interested.

If you don't already have weevils in your yard you may want to pass up this offer.

I would also consider trade for promise of delicious mangos this coming summer.

Dan,  off of Lake Worth Road, west of Congress

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:21:28 AM by mangomandan »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mallika mango trees for sale, central Palm Beach County
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
u getting rid of mallika?? that's one of my absolute favorite mangoes. u not be thinkin right!
Jeff  :-)

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »
You could be right, Jeff.  On the bright side I'm determined to give my Lemon Zest 2-3 years more before it absolutely has to bear fruit.

The Mallikas haven't been happy under my care.  The larger one was dormant for nearly a year in its expensive pot, and I don't have anywhere to plant it.  It just flushed some new leaves, but clearly longs to be in someone's yard.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »
Problem with weevil affected plants (mangoes, lychees, etc.) is that before they are the whitish gray "bug" you see eating your leaves, they are just what they are called, root weevils that are eating your root.  That is what usually causes the most harmful damage with insect and why it seems they take over and begin to destroy a plant once it is affected.

This is why a drench of a commercial grade systemic is vital to get rid of the weevils.  Forst off, you must get rid of them from eating the roots.  Bayer Advanced is an Imidacloprid product it is .235% active ingredient (Imidacloprid), hardly much at all when commercial strength is 25% - 75% depending on the product (yes, the Bayer is ,235 (point 235%)...do you see where I am headed here.  The Bayer Advanced, mixed at the label's recommended concentration, is about useless for a plant that has been taken over by the Sri Lankan Weevils.  If using the Bayer product, you will need to mix the product at an extremely much higher concentration...or, better yet, visit a chemical supply house (Howard Fertilizer, Winfield Solutions, Helena, etc.) and purchase a commercial product.  This will allow yo to have a chance in the battle and take the plant's life back from the weevils.  One word of advice, IF you do purchase a commercial strength product, please be sure to follow the label's recommended rates.
- Rob

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:01:45 AM »
Thanks, Rob.  The last time I looked at the label on the homeowner Bayer stuff I was struck by the idea that one should only use it once a year, implying that it's strong,  but you can use it up to harvest time on vegetables, implying that it's harmless.

Overall the weevils have been less obvious in my yard lately.  Maybe it's the weather, but I like to think that they are coming into some sort of balance with their predators (if they have any).

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:33:14 AM »
Thanks, Rob.  The last time I looked at the label on the homeowner Bayer stuff I was struck by the idea that one should only use it once a year, implying that it's strong,  but you can use it up to harvest time on vegetables, implying that it's harmless.

Overall the weevils have been less obvious in my yard lately.  Maybe it's the weather, but I like to think that they are coming into some sort of balance with their predators (if they have any).
Imidacloprid can be used twice a year, or every six months or so.  The reason for this is that since its a systemic, I assume "research" has proven it stays with the plant and is effective for that length of time.

While I know many do not like the idea of using it, if you buy fruits and veggies that are not certified organic, well, sorry to tell you but you are eating produce that has been treated with Imidacloprid or a systemic of the like.

Oh, and as far as predators, from all the research that has been done by IFAS, I do not believe there are any that are known at this time.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
The mallika does seem to be a bit of a slower grower when young. I have a feeling that it might also want to be fairly decent sized before it starts fruiting (ie, I don't think it's precocious). But it is a darn good fruit that's worth the wait.

I like to eat it when it's slightly underripe, at which point it tastes similar to the lemon zest. They say that you have to properly ripen it, but I've found that as long as you pick it a a day or two before you eat it, the fruit is excellent. If you eat it right off the tree on a hot summer day, it has a funky odor / flavor to it.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk