Author Topic: I want DURIAN!!  (Read 5122 times)

Mr. Caimito

I want DURIAN!!
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
[freegames-online.info will never die]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:03:47 AM by Mr. Caimito »

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: I want DURIAN!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
I have never tried durian. Or mangosteen. It makes me sad. :(

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »
You are both in luck.  You can go into Asian markets and get frozen durian. It is available in cleaned form....just the flesh cleaned from the fruit, or as a whole frozen fruit.  It is not quite the same as fresh, but you can get an idea about the complexity of the eating experience by trying it this way. Call around to local Asian markets here in South Florida.  Many of them carry it.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »
Hopefully it's better than the frozen durian I had! Even the thought of it makes me shudder... :-\

Some people shudder at the taste and even the thought of fresh durian.  So, you might have a durian issue.  While frozen durian is not fresh durian, I did not find the frozen durian objectionable and as I said, it did allow the experience of some of the complexity, richness and "unusualness" that I experienced with fresh durian. I have never seen fresh durian for sale in Florida.  I hear from forum members that they had some for sale in California at some time....although I really was somewhat skeptical of that allegation. You might have better luck in Canada getting fresh fruit.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:21 PM »
if you do find the frozen monthong objectionable, try the durian ice creams and candies from most asian shops. It is very easy to build up a liking for the complexities of durian through these products, which are generally mixed with coconut cream or similar to dilute the full hit of the durian. You'll come to crave it soon enough.  ;D

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »
if you do find the frozen monthong objectionable, try the durian ice creams and candies from most asian shops. It is very easy to build up a liking for the complexities of durian through these products, which are generally mixed with coconut cream or similar to dilute the full hit of the durian. You'll come to crave it soon enough.  ;D

Very well said.  I totally agree.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »
I have to disagree. I really like durian, but don't like most of the products made from durian.
Oscar

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:29:24 AM »
In response to Harry's post, California markets have imported durian fruits for sale, fresh, not frozen.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:07 AM »
Most of the durians imported to USA are frozen. Some places receive them frozen whole and then thaw them out, so people think they are fresh. I've heard that Little Saigon shopping centers in Southern California has had fresh durian in the past.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:50:49 AM »
Yeah, the Vietnamese-owned fruit stores have the best tropical fruits. Fresh durian, rambutan, jakfruit, mangosteen.

jesseblenn

• Costa Rica Exotic
    • Las Tumbas de Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: I want DURIAN!! (Comments on Durian Taste)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »
Hello from Costa Rica.  (some comments on Durians....)

Durians are very rare here.  I have about 90 trees planted out so far.   My best collection of 41 including about 15 cultivars of D. zibethinus and the species  dulcis, oxlyeanus, testudinarum, kutejense, graveolens) is on my small farm and about 50 mostly zibethinus on land rented from a neighbor.  I have never tried any of these other species but all but the testudinarum are growing fine.  It is very slow.  I also have about 100 small zibethinus in my nursery, waiting for me to convince another neighbor.....

I had durians about 4 times when I worked in Borneo (Kuching) for several months.  The first time I literally held my nose, but it gradually grows on you.  Creamy, cheesy, egg noggy, a little reminiscent of cheesecake.  Still it was not so great, and the smell was certainly reminiscent of sewer ponds.   Malaysians are used to it and don't care.   Then I got back to CR after many years and finally got seeds of local fruit.  A distant neighbor has some of the first trees (five of them) in CR and the quality and size varies tremendously.  He has one tree that is amazing, better than the ones in Borneo.  Only a little oniony smell, but the main smell is like cookies coming out of the oven.  Sweet, spicy, rummy, cinnamony, cheesy, all together.  You can get full just smelling it.   The one fruit I got was breakfast, lunch, and supper.  And I kept the rind around a few more days to be smelling it until the smell was gone!

But alas my trees are from one to four and a half years old, expect some to produce in about three more years.   Then I will be able to tell you which ones are best and offer for sale/trade.   And by then we can have our own durian festivals....  IF worthwhile we could propagate the very best and export frozen.

jesse blenn

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 02:50:48 AM »
Jesse the top cultivars especially thai types if planted as advanced grafted trees on good rootstock sometimes fruit in their 5th year.7 or 8 years is more usual for the first fruit to set and fruit don't normally set in the first year of flowering.
Alot depends on the rootstock selected,varieties used and nutrition of the trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk