Author Topic: Dancy or Sunburst Tangerine?  (Read 14396 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Dancy or Sunburst Tangerine?
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »

Dancy or Sunburst tangerine...Which one is sweeter and a more reliable producer for my area (slightly south Central Fl)...how cold can these citrus take without any protection? I love tangerines  :) and would love to plant one this spring...

Any help and suggestions are appreciated, Thanks!! 

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
Re: Dancy or Sunburst Tangerine?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »
There are several other varieties that I have heard are more cold hardy. Satsuma, Robinson, ponkan, clementine. Hope that helps ..... Just fruits and exotics website has some info as does rockledge gardens.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've had both Dancy and Sunburst, but not recently enough to remember the differences. Showcase of citrus has lots of tangerine trees.  They don't seem to need any special cold protection in central FL. Have fun choosing!

I have a Ponkan, should be harvesting my first crop of fruit in a week or two - can't wait to see how it is. The tree I'm eyeing is the new "Sugar Bell". Honeybells are my absolute favorite citrus, but they are hard to grow and require a pollinator. The Sugar Bell is supposed to be even better tasting, and self fertile. Anyone have one? Is it a good tree?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Why not try something new in citrus?
http://nvdmc.org/
Richard

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
Aside from your cold weather you need to check out which one doesn't need an outside pollinator. Dancy does not while Sunburst seems to

http://www.ehow.com/info_8009962_do-tangerine-trees-need-crosspollination.html

Dancy is an old variety. It gave me great fruits (small and sweet) one year 2010 but my limestone laden soil makes all citrus difficult which most likely is not your case

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions...I have a small 2 year old Satsuma that isn't growing very well. It has been fighting Citrus Leaf Miner pretty much since I planted it...I think its shrinking lol...I picked Satsuma because its suppose to be able to handle temps below 20 degrees. I'm not so sure I'm in the right location to grow them, I think they prefer much cooler weather...more North?

I wanted to plant another tangerine since I really like them...now I just have to decide. I prefer "zipper" skin that's why I picked Dancy or Sunburst. But I'm willing to keep my options open if there's other varieties out there with zipper skin, sweet, a good producer and can handle some cold.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
I had been wondering if your Satsuma was producing well. I love zipper skin fruits too. But I did wonder if Satsumas need a bit cooler climate. Sorry to hear that it isn't doing well for you. Spinosaid has been very helpful for helping my trees battle leaf miners. Seems to help them get established, and then the damage is mostly cosmetic.

If you haven't tasted a honeybell, they are a nice combination of sweet/tart. But if you are looking for just sweet, you might want a different variety. They are easy to peel, but not zipper skin. My Ponkan is supposed to be a zipper skin - I'll find out shortly and let you know. I'm excited to have my Ponkans ripen during honeybell season this year, that way I can do a side by side flavor comparison.

Have people received good quality trees from Fruits and Exotics? They are one of the few offering the Sugar Belle to the public and I'm contemplating ordering from them. I've had excellent results ordering from Briteleaf Citrus, but haven't ordered from Fruits and Exotics before. And it is a kind of spendy tree...

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
Richard

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »

Thanks Sun!! I have a neighbor that has a large Honey bell and he gives me some every year  ;D...I find them to very messy to eat,lol...not easy to peel. But, it does make excellent orange juice  ;D

Here'  picture of his Honey Bell tree taken in April, small green fruits (you can't really seen them) taken a few years ago. I think its over 12+ Ft tall? Way too large for me...

I'm also considering Honey tangerine, those are pretty sweet and juicy but the skin is not like the Dancy.

Good luck finding your Sugar belle!

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »
Ooh, that's a nice looking tree! Lucky you that your neighbor shares with you!

The comment about size reminds me  - in part, the reason I chose a Ponkan, and Briteleaf is that they are one of the few vendors still producing trees on a dwarfing rootstock (http://www.briteleaf.com/citrus_trees.asp#DwarfCitrusTrees) and I wanted my tree to stay small. There was a collapse of the flying dragon rootstock supply a few years ago, so it is hard to get dwarf trees. Briteleaf is really knowledgeable about rootstocks and gave me an excellent description of the numbered new dwarfing rootstock they use that is newer than flying dragon (can't remember its number right now, but have it written down at home). Anyhow, my Ponkan is a dwarf, and so far it is about 6' tall and looks like it will be pretty easy to maintain at 6' to 8' tall. But not many varieties offered on the dwarfing rootstock, and no tangerines - just satsumas.

I like honey tangerines, but I do recall them being kind of hard to peel. Good flavor though, and sweet.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
Don't have Sunburst, but do have Dancy. That tree is loaded this year with thousands (not kidding) of fruits. We've been eating them for months and hardly put a dent on it. The fruits are very good, sweet and juicy, and extremely easy to peel. There have been some previous years when they were on the dry side, but that may just be due to lack of proper ferts.
Oscar

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 06:37:58 PM »
I am just south of you in Venus. I researched the varieties that ECHO suggests for cold hardy citrus. I got a Dancy from them and this year was its first year fruiting. Actually, I thought I had removed all the set fruit because it is still pretty young, but I missed some apparently!

The fruit was EZ zipper skin, juicy and sweet.

I also have trouble with leaf miners on my small citrus. Increasing the amount of fertilizer seems to help the tree push through those attacks.

Erica

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »
Thanks so much Sun, Oscar and Erica! I'm leaning more towards Dancy...I've been doing a little research and Dancy seems to do well in this area and the nurseries here carry them. I hear they are very prolific like Oscar mentioned.

Sun, the Honey Murcott tangerines are very sweet and juicy but you are right...they are not "zipper" skin and that's one of the reasons I'm not going to get one, but they sure are good though!

Erica, how old is your tree?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:58:02 AM by puglvr1 »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
I'm not sure if it will grow well in you area but Gold Nugget Tangerine is absolutely spectacular, seedless, even when planted next to other citrus, excellent sugar acid balance, excellent taste and fruit holds well on the tree. To me, it often tastes better than the Dekkopon or Sumo tangerines. I highly recommend this variety!
Simon

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
Thanks Simon, called around but they do not sell that variety here...closest nursery that sells it is way North of me which makes me think it might not do well in my area...appreciate it though  :D

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
You're welcome Puglvr, I believe they can be ordered through four winds nursery. Not sure if they ship to Florida though. If they do grow in Florida, you should definitely pick one up. I've also heard great things about a very small tangerine called Kishu.
Simon

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
Hey puglvr, harvested my first ponkan! It is very easy peel. Not so juicy it makes a mess when peeling. The flavor is nice, very mild, sweet, and almost no tangyness. Nice, but I'd prefer a bit more flavor and tang. But, fits the spot I have and was great on a day when I had no other ripe things in my yard=)

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
Congrats on your first ponkan tangerine. I'm sure the flavor will only improve as your tree matures.
I purchased my Dancy tangerine tree a few days ago. I'll be planting it in March after the threat of freeze is over. It's a small little tree 7 gallon I think?  I'm gonna try to do a better job with CLM TILL THE TREE is a little bigger.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
I recently tried seedless Kishu and they are extremely good, on par with Gold Nugget tangerines. I believe I read a thread that someone in Florida was growing it and it successfully fruited and was able to withstand some cold temps. Kishu is seedless, extremely sweet and very tasty. Only downside is the small size of the fruit.
Simon

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 09:53:31 PM »
Congrats on your new tree! Hope it does well for you!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
Thanks Sun!! I hope so too...

Here it is...

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 05:21:44 PM »
Great looking tree - very healthy!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »
Nice looking tree, Dancy Puggles!

Gart

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
Thank you Sun and Gary  :)

Hope it does well for me...

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:47 PM »
Congrats on your Dancy, Puglvr. Nice size and nice looking tree. I have a Dancy, but I don't have Sunburst, so I didn't know what to recommend to you. Between Dancy, Murcott and Algerian (three mandarins I have), Dancy has the best fruit color, intense orange color. I can't comment on the taste because the other two only have non edible fruits so far. Dancys taste good when ripe.
I have always meant to thank you for all your posts on Mangoes, and Lychees here and at GW. A huge thank you for the use of clamshells against squirrels. We are able to taste fully ripe guavas for the first time this year.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Thanks NCH!! I appreciate the kind comments  :)...I'm glad I was able to help.

This is a great forum, SO many members have such great advise and always willing to help others...I learn SO much from everyone here.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
Say goodbye to my poor dead loquat and Hello to my new Dancy  8)

Poor hubby

Dancy Tangerine

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
What do   you mean "poor hubby"? You are helping him stay healthy with some good useful exercise. Very nice lawn btw.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
Looks great!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
Thanks Zands and Sun!!

Guess I'll try that approach the next time I have to ask my hubby to remove a dead tree..."but I'm helping you stay healthy"  ::)...not sure if that approach will be received,lol...

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
I've got the dancy and I highly recommend it.  Carefree for me and tons of fruit every year.  Its a commercial variety so its a good choice.

I would also like to mention one that more people should grow. its the one from Jamaica, the ortanique.   Its zipper-skin and taste pretty good.  It produced a lot of fruit for me on a small 5 foot tall tree and the fruit is very pretty. 

For me the Honey-Murcott is the sweetest.

I've had a sunburst before that died in a flood. But, it produced good fruit also but was plagued by bugs.   I'm not too sad its gone.  I may replace it.

I have the clementine and it produced a lot of fruit for me also this winter.  Its not like the fruit you buy in the store though. 

I have the ponkan also. Which is good, but I haven't seen much fruit from it.   

also, the links to the newer variety look promising. But, the main problem no nursery wants to propagate them due to the low demand for sales.  I wish someone would get on the ball and push out those new variety. 

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »
So here is my Dancy tangerine planted almost 3 years ago...last year it produced appx. 15-20 extremely dry juiceless fruits, none were edible  :'(. I assumed it was due to its young age ( was only planted a year and a half ago) at the time...and its first time producing fruits. This year it's pretty loaded I count appx. 90+ fruits!

Do I need to water this tree on a weekly basis from now till I pick the fruits? I didn't do any additional watering last year so maybe that may have attributed also to the dry juiceless fruits last year?

Oh and when do they usually ripen in the winter?

Thanks for any help/advise...

Its hard to see the fruits because they are all still green  ;) 

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »
December is usually a good time in South Florida to pick and eat the Dancy Tangerines. After a cool night will usually make the tangerine sweeter. Regardless of a cool spell or not, start trying the taste in early December of a few.

However, if you leave them on the tree too long.... Your tangerine may become a nice solid orange color and juiceless.

When the tree starts to grow in usually about Feb. (could be earlier or later), It will absorb the juice from the tangerine before it eventually falls from the tree and as you noticed, this is not good. It is possible any time to have a dry tangerine if it has been really really dry. Prevent this in Nov. Dec. & Jan. by occasionally watering if dry spells are long. It is possible to also have a dry tangerine if root rot orcitrus greening is present and the tree is not getting enough water even if rains are normal. Thus many possibilities for a dry tangerine. What time of the year did you try them?

Another sign of a dry tangerine is loose skin. If the tangerine has the peeling close to the skin, it has a better chance of being juicy. However, when I pick tangerines from my tree, I usually try to eat the loose skins one first as I know they will dry out quicker in drought or if growth begins. Good luck.

Oh, i forgot to say i had one tangerine yesterday that was mostly green with a hint of orange. It had sweetness to it but was still more tart than sweet. So i guess I should say start trying today if a little orange is present. Better to eat them than something else or they rot or fall off the tree later in the year...

I looked again at your picture and see a lot of oak trees. Their roots can go 3 times the diameter of the canopy when pressured from other oaks for available water and nutrients in some South Florida locations. If the trees were mine I would decrease their size and slowly replace with fruit trees or less aggressive growing trees. If the top is smaller, the roots will need less of your fruit tree area. Try cutting with a shovel near the side to your left in the picture and see if roots are in the shallow top soil within 1 foot. They will look orangish and many strands for the leading root tips. But your yard and trees look great so maybe you have much better soil and water conditions than I.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:48:08 PM by palmcity »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
I live in 9b close to LaBelle, FL. When the fruit gets soft it's ready to eat. It may still be green.
If you wait till it turns orange it could be dry and worthless. It is very unpredictable to grow oranges here and each year
I have experienced different results. This year we had a very wet September which caused some brown spot and fruit drop.
I have:
1 brown select satsuma
2 ponkans
1 owari satsuma
1 xie shan satsuma
1 sugarbelle
1 temple
1 ortanique
1 kishu
1 clementine
1 tango
I plan to dig up the clementine and replace with my newest purchase the Tango. Your tree looks great and the fruit looks ripe now?
Squeeze the fruit and if it is soft try one. So far we have only had one night that got 55F and the fruit will not be very sweet. It should be
tangy and juicy though. Some of my fruit is still green and already drying out. Last year was so warm there was an early bloom and the fruit
is early. If you leave dry fruit on the tree too long it will effect next years harvest also.
Mike

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 10:53:56 PM »
The season is right around the corner but in the meantime we can enjoy these delicious little treats

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2016, 07:39:52 AM »

Thanks Palmcity, achetado and Joe for your advise and input  :)

Sounds like I waited too long to eat the dancy last year, it was around mid January if I remember correctly. I thought I had to wait for the color to turn really orange and since it was a very warm winter last year I waited for several cold nights and that didn't happen till January.

Palmcity, those Oak trees are not in my yard, Lol...those are my neighbors. I only have a few Oak trees but they are contained in an island with a couple of Mango trees that are doing great there...no issues with my mango trees planted near them luckily. They've fruited yearly. Those Oak trees are actually a lot further away than the picture shows so hopefully they won't have too much affect on them...

Joe, I am SO jealous!!!!! Wow, your tree looks amazing and loaded!!!!! Wish I lived next door  ;D

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 07:39:58 AM »
The side that gets the most sun is slowly coloring up...also had a few over night lows in the 50's,but the fruits are definitely not ready yet. I tried one and the one I tried was definitely juicy but not sweet yet...a few more weeks hopefully. I read one article that this tangerine has been nicknamed a "Christmas" tangerine...

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
For a follow up my Dancy is extremely loaded with fruit this year and just turning color. Can't wait to start eating them!  I've had them last until late Feb and into March. About 10 percent of them are dry but the rest are sweet and juicy.  Dancy is a great variety for us.  Carefree and disease resistance. I hardly ever do anything to mine and get fruit every year. 

Curious enough, the sunburst that I said died has come back to life and is thriving again, but too small to produce fruit again.  I thought it had croaked but it re-sprouted above the graft line.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »

Dave, that's awesome! I can't wait to try mine when its ready. I really hope it won't be dry this year. Sweet would be nice too  :)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
I planted a sunburst tangerine grove when they were getting 25 a box.   Unfortunately the 80's were not kind to citrus.

20  sunburst for one Orlando Tangelo pollinator.    Minneola is almost as good for pollination. But once you get a mix of mandarins that should be enough.

Satsuma will live through most cold and very good.  Ponkans are similar but wont take as much cold

Murcotts are the sweetest.

I have a Dancy as they are the easiest to grow but my fave is the Robinson.  Harder
 to grow and seedy they aren't as common.  People want seedless.

But once you juice them the magic starts.  No more seeds and flavor best described as Lifesaver tangerine  in a sweeter liquid form

Nominate it for best screwdriver mix 

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
Satsuma will live through most cold and very good. 

Murcotts are the sweetest.

I have a Dancy as they are the easiest to grow but my fave is the Robinson.  Harder
 to grow and seedy they aren't as common. 
Agree that the Dancy is most hardy of my tangerines i have grown and they are of good quality. They are my preferred tree of the few varieties I have but I have not tried the Robinson etc.

My few Dancy trees are over 20 years old and have managed to hang on after hurricaines, canker, citrus greening, and assorted other fungal/bacteria/ boring insect attacks. The trunk of some are partially decayed and trying to regrow with about 50 fruit holding per Dancy tree.

The one murcott is about 20 yrs old but really stunted with height of less than 5 foot and visible fungus/lichen growth over the limbs with little growth and no fruit. Previous years produced a few fruit that were smaller than my Dancy and maybe sweeter but not really preferred with the more difficult skin peeling since it held tighter to the fruit. I am trying to revive it with copper spray etc and hoping with more time to care for it, it may have fruit next year if alive.

The Satsuma tangerine was always our least preferred. At my location it ripened in early Nov. but the kids did not know it as the ripe stage is more green than orange/yellow. They usually waited until it turned yellow orange about Dec. and it was already starting to dry out. It never really tasted as good but it was the earliest to eat if wanting a tangerine in Early Nov. My lack of desire to care for it probably helped hasten the fungus/root rot and it has finally deceased this year after being here 20 yrs. However, a mango tree is now enjoying the decaying material from its former self.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »
Do I need to water this tree on a weekly basis from now till I pick the fruits? I didn't do any additional watering last year so maybe that may have attributed also to the dry juiceless fruits last year?

Oh and when do they usually ripen in the winter?

Thanks for any help/advise...

I have been eating my Dancy Tangerines as about half the tangerines are ripe enough to be sweet on 2 of the trees and they appear as 5/6 yellow/orange and 1/6 greenish. I also sent about 20 tangerines back to some kids at college yesterday after the Thanksgiving Holiday. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:14:09 AM by palmcity »

Vitaliy

• Ukraine ternopil
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »
Hello. Say why do not bloom Sunburst Tangerine (Robinson × Osceola). The tree is 5 years old. Rootstock citrumelo swingle 4475. Cold wintering, phosphorus (K2O) and Potassium (P2o5), did not help.
Friends advise something?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:03:55 AM by Vitaliy »