Author Topic: Mangosteen scam  (Read 30214 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mangosteen scam
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »
Anyone with an air-layered Mangosteen?

Airlayers do not work with mangosteen . In Honduras ( Lancetilla ) they approach graft the mangosteen .

Interesting. Top Tropical Nursery says their Mangosteens are airlayered.

Where does TT say that? Those plants look like plants they brought in from Hawaii, and those are all seedling plants.
Oscar

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 11:32:03 PM »
Anyone with an air-layered Mangosteen?

Airlayers do not work with mangosteen . In Honduras ( Lancetilla ) they approach graft the mangosteen .

Interesting. Top Tropical Nursery says their Mangosteens are airlayered.

Where does TT say that? Those plants look like plants they brought in from Hawaii, and those are all seedling plants.

Thanks Oscar
I received an email from them, stating they were about 2 years old and were airlayered.
Michael

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 11:44:35 PM »
That is incorrect. Pretty sure those plants are from Hawaii, most likely from Plant it Hawaii. Nobody here airlayers mangosteen. They are all grown from seed. I think it's possible to make an airlayer, but takes very long time to root, close to a year, and the resulting plant is quite weak.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 12:32:19 AM »
I received an email from them, stating they were about 2 years old and were airlayered.

Did they also mention how long it takes to get fruit?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 02:14:21 AM »
Agriculture expert here on the Island was able to get his Mangosteen seedlings to fruit in 5 years,  he told me he did lots of foliar spraying, of nutrients and plant hormones.  explained to me that the plants slow growth is due to it poor root system.  that part I already knew. so applying foliar spray routine, makes sense to help the plant get up in size.

The other problem with mangosteen is it still takes years for you to get a good production from them, yeah you may get 2-3 fruit off a 5 year old tree, next year you may get double that and so on. from what I have read, it takes a 10-12 year old trees to start reaching commercial production.   but for the back yard grower who cares right, Id be happy with a dozen fruit a year.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 02:38:24 AM »
This variegated mangosteen was also for sale on the fair. Does it give exactly the same fruit as the purple mangosteen?

This one also fruits in 2 years when grafted.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »
This variegated mangosteen was also for sale on the fair. Does it give exactly the same fruit as the purple mangosteen?

The only difference is that the fruit may also be variegated. If anything a variegated plant grows a lot slower and fruits slower due to less photosynthesis. No way in hell you are going to get fruits in 2 years whether grafted or not!
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »
Air layering in theory, sound like a good idea.  If you could get dozen of roots growing off of a central stem as opposed to just a central tap root, you would think that would be good.  They probably just aren't wired that way.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 07:43:18 AM »

The only difference is that the fruit may also be variegated. If anything a variegated plant grows a lot slower and fruits slower due to less photosynthesis. No way in hell you are going to get fruits in 2 years whether grafted or not!

Those variegated mangosteens for sale didn't flower but had about the same size as the common ones. They look great.

If i had more space i would try a variegated one as well, for the looks.

If we always water an airlayer with willowtea would that promote a healthy rootsystem?

Thai love to airlayer, also mangotree's, they do it all the time. Also approach grafting with thick branches and let them join for a year or so.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Most likely because those people at TT wouldn't know a graft from an airlayer if it poked them in the ass.  Please don't take anything you read on their site or even from email as gospel. 

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
I mentioned this thread to the seller and they are really new developed seeds, NO SCAM!

The seller won't fight here about yes or no but gave me this reply:

It has been developed over a 10 year period and I have several 3 foot mangosteens with fruit on in my garden right now.
I am assured that the seeds from these dwarf mangosteens will grow into small trees.
I don't know if they are true dwarf or not but the fact remains that they will fruit in 18 months and can be grown on balcony in pot and will remain small.
at present there are about 200 of these trees in XXX where they have been developed.
I have negotiated a sole purchase of the fruit for 2 years.
These are the next big thing in thai fruit.
I don't care what they say on the forum they are wrong and I have the trees to prove it.
Time will be my judge.

At the moment the seeds are sold out but in August will be availlable again.

That's all folks  ;D

Oh i want to add to this, i also had to learn my lessons in Thailand. I also draw conclusions to fast and learned that here things can go different as we expect. This is Asia!  Well i think the scamstory is over now. It is  unfair to accuse somebody with new developed seeds (that have been developed in a period of 10 years ) as a scammer on a forum.

That's all i have to say about it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:10:25 AM by bangkok »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
I allready got mail from people who want to know more about these seeds but i am not the vendor of those seeds.

If you want to mail the vendor you can find the webshop by that ebay-advertising at the top of this thread or you can pm me and i will forward it to the vendor.

I have nothing to do with the vendor but i have good experiences with this person and just don't like it when somebody is called a scammer when it is not true. In the past i also started small company's and had similar problems and i just can't stand that. Honest is honest and scammers are scammers and have to be punished.

Oh the vendor asked me to add this text:

The development of these trees was started 10 years ago under a research grant from a major  university in Thailand and as part of my major in agriculture I was part of the original team.
We have developed this variety and we now have  over 200 trees bearing fruit that are no more than 2 metres high. Most trees have born fruit within 2 years and some within 18 months from the seeds of these parents (this is an undisputable fact). The fruit albeit is quite small but increases in size with each subsequent seasons.
To date the seeds from these trees have produced small similar trees.
It is expected the seeds will be available  commercially within 3 years.
I have the right to sell the seeds as part of the originating developer.  There are only a few available seeds which have now been sold. To those who bought and trusted you are the lucky few to have something so new and wonderful.
So for all the people who slated me, wake up the world is changing and perhaps next time you will check or at least ask before you go ahead assuming you know all and tarnishing my reputation.
I thought the forum was above this kind of unprofessional and uninformed gossip.
This is my final word on the matter let time prove my honesty and your inaccuracies.

And i agree totally with this last word from the vendor. You have to understand that Thai people don't like to fight, would rather walk away and enjoy life. So i hope the accusers of this "Scam" realise now what they did. Accusing somebody of scamming while there was a huge development program from a big Thai university behind it. Thank you.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:43:30 AM by bangkok »

snhabegger

• Nick
    • Edmonton, Canada, Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I'm sympathetic to the more generous viewpoint, and I wouldn't have used the word 'scam' perhaps -- but really, at this point, there's no point in arguing.  If the source for these mangosteens is correct, then in a few years they will be on the market.  At the same time, what he's saying is completely uncheckable (through normal procedures), and is completely congruent with all manner of not-really-referenced deals that float around Asia.  The 'not commercially available' makes it suspect when you bought them commercially as a hobbyist.  Half the things you see in the market are 'just out of some program' here or there -- I've never dealt with professional pomologists or horticulturalists in Thailand, the fairs and centres of buying fruit in the northeast are a complete black box, one just has to trust that the variety is what it is being sold as.  Maybe in Bangkok there are networks of reliably produced variants. 

If anyone really wants to settle it, get on the web page for Kasetasart or Prince of Songkhla University, find a professor who deals with fruit production or fruit dwarfing, and email them to find out of the government has been funding anything like that for the past ten years on mangosteens.  Personally, I would bet that Oscar below is correct when he says it is some sort of grafting trick -- Thais are very creative with grafting, it is actually taught in grade-school, probably in place of history or ethics . . .   :D

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
Time will tell. It does not hurt to buy a few seeds and try its not that it is expensive.
Bought other kinds of seeds from the seller before.His prices are very reasonable.
Yes since we do not know about this new development we should not spoil his reputation.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »

Did they also mention how long it takes to get fruit?

No; they didn't say how long.
Michael

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
Agriculture expert here on the Island was able to get his Mangosteen seedlings to fruit in 5 years,  he told me he did lots of foliar spraying, of nutrients and plant hormones.  explained to me that the plants slow growth is due to it poor root system.  that part I already knew. so applying foliar spray routine, makes sense to help the plant get up in size.

The other problem with mangosteen is it still takes years for you to get a good production from them, yeah you may get 2-3 fruit off a 5 year old tree, next year you may get double that and so on. from what I have read, it takes a 10-12 year old trees to start reaching commercial production.   but for the back yard grower who cares right, Id be happy with a dozen fruit a year.

Any chance you could find out what nutrients and hormones he used?
Michael

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
I allready got mail from people who want to know more about these seeds but i am not the vendor of those seeds.

If you want to mail the vendor you can find the webshop by that ebay-advertising at the top of this thread or you can pm me and i will forward it to the vendor.

I have nothing to do with the vendor but i have good experiences with this person and just don't like it when somebody is called a scammer when it is not true. In the past i also started small company's and had similar problems and i just can't stand that. Honest is honest and scammers are scammers and have to be punished.

The development of these trees was started 10 years ago under a research grant from a major  university in Thailand and as part of my major in agriculture I was part of the original team.
We have developed this variety and we now have  over 200 trees bearing fruit that are no more than 2 metres high. Most trees have born fruit within 2 years and some within 18 months from the seeds of these parents (this is an undisputable fact).
The fruit albeit is quite small but increases in size with each subsequent seasons.
I have the right to sell the seeds as part of the originating developer.  There are only a few available seeds which have now been sold. To those who bought and trusted you are the lucky few to have something so new and wonderful.
So for all the people who slated me, wake up the world is changing and perhaps next time you will check or at least ask before you go ahead assuming you know all and tarnishing my reputation.
I thought the forum was above this kind of unprofessional and uninformed gossip.
This is my final word on the matter let time prove my honesty and your inaccuracies.

And i agree totally with this last word from the vendor. You have to understand that Thai people don't like to fight, would rather walk away and enjoy life. So i hope the accusers of this "Scam" realise now what they did. Accusing somebody of scamming while there was a huge development program from a big Thai university behind it. Thank you.

How about giving name of University, professors that worked on research, name of published papers, etc.? If it is an established fact how about some photos? Old saying in plant business: "photos or it doesn't exist".
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
Air layering in theory, sound like a good idea.  If you could get dozen of roots growing off of a central stem as opposed to just a central tap root, you would think that would be good.  They probably just aren't wired that way.

Yes not wired for lots of root develpment. You can see in Whitman's book that he tried doing mangosteen air layers and that they started to root but eventually died. Mangosteen plants grow very slow because they make very few lateral roots and small root filaments. That i think is why it's very hard for airlayers to work.
Oscar

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »

We have developed this variety and we now have  over 200 trees bearing fruit that are no more than 2 metres high. Most trees have born fruit within 2 years and some within 18 months from the seeds of these parents (this is an undisputable fact).
The fruit albeit is quite small but increases in size with each subsequent seasons.

How about giving name of University, professors that worked on research, name of published papers, etc.? If it is an established fact how about some photos? Old saying in plant business: "photos or it doesn't exist".

Not to beat a dead horse, but found this photo of a young plant with fruit:

Found it in this:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:02:18 PM by cmichael258 »
Michael

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »

Oscar where are the names of the University, professors that worked on the new precocious jaboticaba Hybrid X that you are selling?

This is from your webshop: HYBRID JABOTICABA (Myrciaria caulifloura X)
New hybrid type of Jaboticaba is much earlier bearing. Regular jaboticaba can take 8-10 years to fruit. This new hybrid can bear in only 3 years. Can be fruited in a pot. Cultural requirements same as regular jaboticaba above. Very rare new introduction.

You do exactly the same and also don't have pics of all the seeds you are selling on your website.

The vendor is not willing to argue on this level and that's why i had to post the explanation about the novelty of precocious mangosteenseeds. I hope you can understand/respect that.

This is what ebay tells about this seller:

Top-rated seller
tropicalseeds2013 (254 )
100% Positive feedback
Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
Ships items quickly
Has earned a track record of excellent service

The pics (as you could have seen) were with the advertising. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DWARF-Purple-Mangosteen-Garcinia-Mangostana-5-Seeds-Super-rare-4-6-feet-/111275627323?nma=true&si=Jz%252F4T%252BeH4z4QlfiI6zx7qAtwXSE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:41:15 PM by bangkok »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
Tough group, these plant nuts.  Here's a link to jaboticabas where I posted a photo of my fruit and was questioned and even suspected of photoshopping the photo.  Interesting thread, photo is authentic, but thanks to Ethan who verified the fruit size.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0120430129717.html?21

I appreciate bangkok posting the information and suspect that several of us will be ordering seeds of the "dwarf" mangosteen seeds when they again become available, just to try it out.

snhabegger

• Nick
    • Edmonton, Canada, Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone want the tree pictured in that ad?  I wouldn't buy an apple tree, a cherry tree, or any other fruit tree that started producing when it was 8 inches tall, who would want a mangosteen?  If this is what we've been arguing about, then someone's wasting their time -- I don't see that it matters if it's a Thai scientist who's produced some silly novelty, or us who care.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 11:42:40 PM »

Oscar where are the names of the University, professors that worked on the new precocious jaboticaba Hybrid X that you are selling?

New hybrid type of Jaboticaba is much earlier bearing. Regular jaboticaba can take 8-10 years to fruit. This new hybrid can bear in only 3 years. Can be fruited in a pot. Cultural requirements same as regular jaboticaba above. Very rare new introduction.

You do exactly the same and also don't have pics of all the seeds you are selling on your website.

The vendor is not willing to argue on this level and that's why i had to post the explanation about the novelty of precocious mangosteenseeds. I hope you can understand/respect that.

Top-rated seller
tropicalseeds2013 (254 )
100% Positive feedback
Ships items quickly

The pics (as you could have seen) were with the advertising. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DWARF-Purple-Mangosteen-Garcinia-Mangostana-5-Seeds-Super-rare-4-6-feet-/111275627323?nma=true&si=Jz%252F4T%252BeH4z4QlfiI6zx7qAtwXSE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Geez Bangkok, get a book, and read it!  >:( Hybrid jaboticaba has been known about for long time. Read Harry Lorenzi's book Brazilian Fruits. Yes it's in my website because i sell that book! Also you might want to try reading about mangosteen some day. :o Also you can try planting some mangosteen seeds and see how many months before the plant is fruiting. I think you are going to find out they are extremely slow growing, like most garcinias. Every published book contradicts what your eBay seller is saying. Who should we believe the whole of published literature or one eBay seller?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2014, 12:10:06 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but found this photo of a young plant with fruit:

Found it in this:

Did you read the text right under that photo?: "Mangosteen seedlings are notoriously slow growing." and further on:
DISADVANTAGES OF THIS CROP
 The tree requires reasonably exacting conditions for it to grow and bear well. The long juvenile period is a constraint to commercial profitability. In north Queensland, gross margin analysis suggests that a mangosteen orchard does not have a positive return on investment within the first 20 years." Why would that be if eBay seller is right and they can start fruiting in 18 months?
Also in Thailand the mangosteen is well known as a orchard tree that the farmer plants for his grandchildren because they know they will not see any return probably in their own lifetime.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2014, 01:19:04 AM »

Top-rated seller
tropicalseeds2013 (254 )
100% Positive feedback
Ships items quickly

Geez Bangkok, get a book, and read it!  >:( Hybrid jaboticaba has been known about for long time. Read Harry Lorenzi's book Brazilian Fruits. Yes it's in my website because i sell that book! Also you might want to try reading about mangosteen some day. :o Also you can try planting some mangosteen seeds and see how many months before the plant is fruiting. I think you are going to find out they are extremely slow growing, like most garcinias. Every published book contradicts what your eBay seller is saying. Who should we believe the whole of published literature or one eBay seller?

Oscar about growing fruittree's i really don't know who i should believe. I sure believe you have a lot of knowledge (more then me for sure and probably the most of the forum) but about garcinia's there are many mistery's. This week i got a PM about achacha's from another member and that showed that achacha seedlings grow really fast! Also mine (only 1 out of 20 though) grows fast but the ones on the pic seemed to grow very fast. I read many story's where growers tell that they grow very slow, so i don't know who i should believe.

Oscar can you please stop being disdainfull about this "ebayseller" ? You can blaim me for everything you like because i admit i don't know jack about growing mangosteens or jaboticaba's but i try to learn it from internet, don't want to buy old books because development goes on every day again. Sure there will be good info in those books but i don't want them, books attract termites here in the ultratropics and are made of dead tree's. ;D

If you don't believe in those seeds then that's fine with me, then don't order them! They are sold out anyway. We are talking about a few us$, big deal. In a few years time we will know if those seeds are any good or not, they have been sold allready worldwide. I hope to hear the experiences from those buyers. If my own grafted mangosteen will fruit next year we will see, i just changed the soil of it. If i have fruits i sure will post pics to show you that you were wrong. I hope you won't call me a scammer or photoshop-artist if i can let it bear fruit.

Here you see my grafted mangosteen like it is right now. Next year i will post a pic of it again. I also made a pic of the graftunion so you can see it is a fresh joint.

The pic of the aiwen mango next to a ndm=green is to show you that in my climate a mango that was grafted last year does bear fruit this year allready. Some posters here claim that a grafted mango fruits after 3 years well here they do it after one year. Not all my grafts made fruit this season but 50% did.

For the rest i 'm tired about this whole stupid discussion. If you guys don't believe me or the developers of the precocious mangosteen then don't believe it, who cares.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk