Author Topic: Mangosteen scam  (Read 30049 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Mangosteen scam
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2014, 01:24:04 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but found this photo of a young plant with fruit:

Found it in this:

Did you read the text right under that photo?: "Mangosteen seedlings are notoriously slow growing." and further on:
DISADVANTAGES OF THIS CROP
 The tree requires reasonably exacting conditions for it to grow and bear well. The long juvenile period is a constraint to commercial profitability. In north Queensland, gross margin analysis suggests that a mangosteen orchard does not have a positive return on investment within the first 20 years." Why would that be if eBay seller is right and they can start fruiting in 18 months?
Also in Thailand the mangosteen is well known as a orchard tree that the farmer plants for his grandchildren because they know they will not see any return probably in their own lifetime.

Well Mike T had them fruiting in Queensland Oz after 5 years if i recall well. So i guess it has to do with climate or so.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2014, 01:34:48 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but found this photo of a young plant with fruit:

Found it in this:

Did you read the text right under that photo?: "Mangosteen seedlings are notoriously slow growing." and further on:
DISADVANTAGES OF THIS CROP
 The tree requires reasonably exacting conditions for it to grow and bear well. The long juvenile period is a constraint to commercial profitability. In north Queensland, gross margin analysis suggests that a mangosteen orchard does not have a positive return on investment within the first 20 years." Why would that be if eBay seller is right and they can start fruiting in 18 months?
Also in Thailand the mangosteen is well known as a orchard tree that the farmer plants for his grandchildren because they know they will not see any return probably in their own lifetime.

Well Mike T had them fruiting in Queensland Oz after 5 years if i recall well. So i guess it has to do with climate or so.

Mike is in Queensland, this book is talking ABOUT Queensland. What Mike said if you go to the message is that it is possible with very special treatment, lots of consistent fertilizer, to get some plants, not all, to start fruiting at 5 years. That does not mean loads of fruits, maybe one or two fruits, not commercial quantities. To get large quantities of fruits takes at least 10 years even under most ideal conditions. And this book says 20 years is a more reasonable number. But you can continue to believe anonymous eBay seller if you like that you will get lots of fruit in 18 months.  ::)
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 03:14:15 AM »
Coincidentally I ordered seeds from this seller before reading this thread! I questioned the seller and said that I found it hard to believe that the tree will fruit from seed in 18months , the seller claims that it will fruit very small and lightly but will increase every year. The seeds were still cheaper for me to obtain than any other mangosteen sources(mostly due to free shipping) so I didn't see a downside. So I ordered both the claimed "dwarf" and run of the mill mangosteen seeds from them. If they survive transit I can do a side by side comparison grow and see if the growth habits are any different.
If there is any truth to the dwarfing I wanted to try a plant in a small aquaponics system I just need tilapa for. The consensus seems to be that this may be a scam/misinformed seller but.I will be happy even to have any mangosteen plant fruiting or not!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 06:02:39 AM »
I received the "dwarf" and normal mangosteen seeds in the post today after about a month in transit. Both lots had at least four seeds sprouting so I have put them in pots barely covered(is this the correct method?)labeled them separately and put them in my germination cupboard. Now will wait to see any differences in growth.

I tried to post pics of the sprouting seeds and a letter about the "dwarf" from the seller but whenever I try to the linked site won't accept my pics iv tried big and small file sizes with no luck. If someone wouldn't mind walking me through how to post pics or where I can find how to post? I have already looked in the FAQ thanks in advance. Don't know if the problem.could be because I'm trying to post images from a smart phone?
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2014, 06:17:44 AM »
Yes that is correct. Cover them with about 1/2 inch soil (1.25 cm). Keep well moistened and in filtered sunlight.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2014, 06:20:51 AM »
I received the "dwarf" and normal mangosteen seeds in the post today after about a month in transit. Both lots had at least four seeds sprouting so I have put them in pots barely covered(is this the correct method?)labeled them separately and put them in my germination cupboard. Now will wait to see any differences in growth.

I tried to post pics of the sprouting seeds and a letter about the "dwarf" from the seller but whenever I try to the linked site won't accept my pics iv tried big and small file sizes with no luck. If someone wouldn't mind walking me through how to post pics or where I can find how to post? I have already looked in the FAQ thanks in advance. Don't know if the problem.could be because I'm trying to post images from a smart phone?

Did you mark the "family safe" box when you tried to upload the pics?

I hope they grow well in Gauteng but maybe it is not warm enough there.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2014, 06:37:53 AM »
Yes I said family safe option.
I won't grow well here but I'm hoping it can do Ok in my grow tent or greenhouse  If I can get some abit stronger I will try one in my families much more tropical holiday house near Durian in kwa-zulu natal but that's getting abit ahead of myself first to make sure they even survive!
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »

I just tested it out and it seems that if you're using Chrome on your phone, postimage won't upload the pic properly. I had to use Safari for it to work.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2014, 07:51:05 AM »
Ok thank you for checking I will try a different browser:)
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
Given the popularity this fruit currently has and the various research going on around the world, if someone developed a mangosteen that fruited from seed in only 18 months, the internet would be on fire.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
Given the popularity this fruit currently has and the various research going on around the world, if someone developed a mangosteen that fruited from seed in only 18 months, the internet would be on fire.

Nope then you will be called a "scammer" because us Americans ain't never seen that before so it can't be true.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »
Ok here is a pic of the seeds and a letter that the.seller gave with them. if anything the so called "dwarf" seeds are bigger. I am happy to have the seeds even if it is a Mangoscheme they were cheaper than ordering mangosteen seeds anywhere else I could find.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:12:11 AM by stuartdaly88 »
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
I posted this in another thread, but Montoso gardens has mangosteen trees available for shipping for $25 plus s/h.  Not sure how far they ship, but some may find it helpful...as stated often, Bryan packs and ships plants that look great, are secure, and ready to "take off" upon planting
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »
It may just be that this guy doesnt know what grafting is
- David Antonio Garcia

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2014, 02:51:21 PM »
"Remember mangosteens love the sea"...ok now, this guy doesn't know jack. I don't believe breeding program can shrink fruiting period by such incredible margin. This guy is either a scam or was mislead by someone.  You have perfect climate in Bangkok, let's see how far you get ahead in two years.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »

I dare say that anyone could come up with such a fast producing mangosteen would become an overnight millionaire. They wouldn't be wasting their time making a few dollars on eBay. They would be selling to big plantation owners. There is a huge demand for mangosteen, and main problem is long time to fruiting.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »

Nope then you will be called a "scammer" because us Americans ain't never seen that before so it can't be true.

It's not just the Americans, try reading books and internet literature from all around the planet about fruit culture. Nobody has seen it! Only people that shop on eBay and believe everything they read there. ::) ::) ::)
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
"Remember mangosteens love the sea"...ok now, this guy doesn't know jack. I don't believe breeding program can shrink fruiting period by such incredible margin. This guy is either a scam or was mislead by someone.  You have perfect climate in Bangkok, let's see how far you get ahead in two years.

Yes mangosteens love the sea...they love to die by the sea!  :o
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2014, 07:37:10 AM »
Maybe that manual was from the seashore mangosteen, those things happen every day in Thailand.  8)  (Actually this mistake is the proof that the seed really is developed in Thailand where everything goes a little bit wrong.) In Thai culture nobody would make a big fuzz about a small incident like this....happens all the time every day again.

This manual is indeed fishy and does not belong to the garcinia mangostana. I have no idea what went wrong but the western name tells me there are westerners involved and that is probably the problem with the manual  ;D This manual could be for the Garcinia hombroniana.

I wished i had some of those seeds planted myself in Bangkok so i could test them in the perfect climate.

I still believe in the option that those plants might have mangosteens on them within 18 months/2 years.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:42:35 AM by bangkok »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Mangosteen-Plant-Fruit-Plant-Original-Thai-Free-Phyto-Certificate-/291118445758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c802f4be

This shop from Bangkok sells you a mangosteen plant with free phytocertificate.

I have never heard of that phytocertificate in Thailand but it seems they exist. I found this website on the web, have nothing to do with it.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 12:09:38 AM »
Yuup Aphis show up at my house six months later & inspect all of them permit & all.  Next shipment they send me a letter saying its the last time they allow me from this country with phyto. So phyto does not mean anything. Depend on who you deal with at Aphis that day.  Good things were the first two shipments always with phyto; they allow through custom were the most important from Thailand.

Hell Cheaper to just order mangosteen from Montosogardens minus post entry inspection headache:)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 09:15:07 AM »
Yuup Aphis show up at my house six months later & inspect all of them permit & all.  Next shipment they send me a letter saying its the last time they allow me from this country with phyto. So phyto does not mean anything. Depend on who you deal with at Aphis that day.  Good things were the first two shipments always with phyto; they allow through custom were the most important from Thailand.

Hell Cheaper to just order mangosteen from Montosogardens minus post entry inspection headache:)

Well i saw seedling mangosteen for sale on Ebay, from Hawaii for only 149 us$.. small seedling. Those plants are expensive in the USA.

So from now on you can never receive plants from Thailand with phytoreport anymore? And plants sent from Dominican Republic with phytoreport will be delivered at your house without any problems? I thought all phytoreports were the same, means the plant is safe to import.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
Well i saw seedling mangosteen for sale on Ebay, from Hawaii for only 149 us$.. small seedling. Those plants are expensive in the USA.

So from now on you can never receive plants from Thailand with phytoreport anymore? And plants sent from Dominican Republic with phytoreport will be delivered at your house without any problems? I thought all phytoreports were the same, means the plant is safe to import.

Montoso Gardens is in Puerto Rico, which is part of the US, not DR.

Imported trees need permits in addition to phytos generally, unless you are traveling with the tree in which a phyto alone is usually sufficient if the tree is not on a restricted list or requires post entry quarantine.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

Montoso Gardens is in Puerto Rico, which is part of the US, not DR.

Imported trees need permits in addition to phytos generally, unless you are traveling with the tree in which a phyto alone is usually sufficient if the tree is not on a restricted list or requires post entry quarantine.

Oh i see, so that's why it is easyier to import plants from.

So travelling with the tree need a phyto only. If you order it online and it is in a box then you also need a permit?

I read on the customwebsite for Holland that it is legal to import your own (not endangered) tree with you as long as it is for your own hobby-use. Well that's great. I wished i can order tree's online from Florida to Holland with all papers.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
So I just wanted to post an update on the seeds I bought.
So the mangosteens are 1.5months old since they were received in post and planted on 4 April.
I had four of each set germinate.

Here are the "normal" mangosteens

And here are the so called "dwarfs"
(one of them not pictured was very slow to start and is much less developed and the one in the top left is one of each kind inexpertly approach grafted just for fun and to save space)

So not majorly different especially taking into account the dwarf kind had slightly larger seeds.
I will post more pics in a couple months to see if there seems to be any differentiation in growth rates
Very fun so far even if I am very very sceptical of it flowering in only 16 months time lol I will be happy for them just to be alive by then!

I have no idea what the growth rate of mangosteen is normally like, they are pretty slow though.
Do the new leafs always come out red like that even when mature? I was surprised at how beautiful they are a brilliant pink red.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau