Author Topic: When to Remove Parafilm&Grafting tape off of grafts.  (Read 10285 times)

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
When to Remove Parafilm&Grafting tape off of grafts.
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
About two weeks ago I Cleft grafted and Veneer grafted a Jacqueline mango tree into a Baileys Marvel tree.
I'm starting to see signs of the buds starting to push thru the Parafilm. When should I remove the parafilm and the grafting tape from the new grafts.

It also looks like I had better luck with the Cleft grafts then the Veneer grafts, or do the Veneer grafts take longer to take.

Thanks Jeff and everyone else for the help in telling me how to graft a old tree. I'll see if I can get some pictures of the takes.

Joe.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: When to Remove Parafilm&Grafting tape off of grafts.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »
You should leave it on until it starts breaking down on it's own. 2 weeks is not near enough time.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
That is the one of the great benefits of using Parafilm M and Buddy Tape you do not have to remove it! Both products biodegrade naturally! You can graft and forget it!

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:09:09 PM »
For most plants, I notice you can remove the tape safely off of the scion and graft union, after the plant has pushed two separate sets of growth, and they have hardened off entirely.

This may not hold true for all species, but has been effective for plants like atemoyas, sapodillas, white sapotes, and others that I've listed as grafting successfully (earlier in this post I believe).
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »
This may not hold true for all species, but has been effective for plants like atemoyas, sapodillas, white sapotes.

Thanks Adam/All for your reply.

I have been ready your post but never seen anything about removel of the grafting tape or parafilm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk