Author Topic: Wanted: Orange Sherbet Mango Tree  (Read 31039 times)

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Wanted: Orange Sherbet Mango Tree
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »
Hey everyone,

My dad wanted to take out my macadamia and plant a mango tree. I told him I would only allow it if he allows me to pick the cultivar, so I thought orange sherbet. Does anyone have orange sherbet mango for sale/trade?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Orange Sherbet Mango Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
Why do you want an OS over a Lemon Zest. It will be almost impossible to find a grafted OS. Might as well wait till the Summer and buy some OS fruit and then plant the seeds since its poly.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:23:19 PM »
Why do you want an OS over a Lemon Zest. It will be almost impossible to find a grafted OS. Might as well wait till the Summer and buy some OS fruit and then plant the seeds since its poly.

Because Orange sherbet is one of my favorite frozen desserts, and OS has more orange sherbet flavor than LZ doesn't it? And isn't it more productive than LZ as well or I was told wrong information? I will probably wait until summer and try both fruits side by side, but LZ is much easier to find, so I wanted to start looking for OS.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
You will not find any OS trees for sale.  Gary has not and does not plan to release it at this time.  While some trees did come out of Zill HPP with "OS" on the pots, they were still LZ variety (a search can be done for the story behind the LZ vs OS name for an understanding. ?.and do not believe what TT says).  Facts about the two:

Is OS more productive - no, LZ is actually very productive once the tree gets some age.  OS are small fruits, very similar in size and shape to PPK/Lemon Meringue.   LZ is very much larger.

Both are prone to jelly seed with OS being much more prone.

which one tastes like orange sherbert - both do to a degree but I do feel as if OS has a more distinctive flavor.

Yes, you could plant an OS seed but you would have to figure out which shoot is the "clone".  I would not trust its always the strongest.

If you want another mango with that similar orange sherbet flavor, go with a Peach Cobbler aka O -2.
- Rob

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
You will not find any OS trees for sale.  Gary has not and does not plan to release it at this time.  While some trees did come out of Zill HPP with "OS" on the pots, they were still LZ variety (a search can be done for the story behind the LZ vs OS name for an understanding. ?.and do not believe what TT says).  Facts about the two:

Is OS more productive - no, LZ is actually very productive once the tree gets some age.  OS are small fruits, very similar in size and shape to PPK/Lemon Meringue.   LZ is very much larger.

Both are prone to jelly seed with OS being much more prone.

which one tastes like orange sherbert - both do to a degree but I do feel as if OS has a more distinctive flavor.

Yes, you could plant an OS seed but you would have to figure out which shoot is the "clone".  I would not trust its always the strongest.

If you want another mango with that similar orange sherbet flavor, go with a Peach Cobbler aka O -2.

Thank you Rob for the advice! I will probably get a Peach Cobbler or LZ then.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
I see a bit of bias against this very good fruit! for starters, an OS fruit is closer in size to that of the LZ fruit, than it is to the PPK.   Also to state that it is much more prone to jelly seed is a reach too, if anything there are not enough trees out there to support that theory. Out on this coast at least, I have not had one with jelly seed as of yet. I also think OS tastes better than LZ, but this is just my opinion. I do however remember a few people on here begging for OS to be released for sale, and since it had not happened, now its the bad guy on the block! lol

Chuck 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »
Chuck - not sure what you are really saying other than you prefer OS over LZ. You have a grafted OS?  Some of us have been eating both of these since their release as 27-1 and G-32.  I for one have been, and they both, along with PPK, are prone to jelly seed.  I have eaten a lot of OS over the years from multiple trees grown in multiple locations, including the original.  Same can be said for LZ and PPK.  If you look back at my older posts, both here and on gardenweb, you will see that I have made the case that OS is better.  I still agree but it varies from year to year, as do many mango varieties.  I have eaten more LZ than i could count this year and will reiterate that the ones I have eaten have not been anywhere near the quality they have been in the past or should be.  I have eaten a lot of OS too this year and they seem to be superior this year but as with LZ, not up to their usual potential.  Of the "Big Three" of Zill releases, this year, Coconut Cream has been h ands down the superior in quality along with Fruit Punch, Sweet Tart and Taralay.

Many also state that LZ is better and I am not going to say they are right are wrong, is it due to more availability of LZ, who knows...
- Rob

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
Rob, are honey kiss and taralay available as grafted trees?
Joe

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »
Rob, are honey kiss and taralay available as grafted trees?

Yes, Walter has a limited number of 3 gal Honey Kiss trees for sale.  There are currently no Taralay trees for sale.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:23:22 PM »
I see a bit of bias against this very good fruit! for starters, an OS fruit is closer in size to that of the LZ fruit, than it is to the PPK.   Also to state that it is much more prone to jelly seed is a reach too, if anything there are not enough trees out there to support that theory. Out on this coast at least, I have not had one with jelly seed as of yet. I also think OS tastes better than LZ, but this is just my opinion. I do however remember a few people on here begging for OS to be released for sale, and since it had not happened, now its the bad guy on the block! lol

Chuck

If the OS fruit are grown on the west coast of Florida, it is likely a mislabeled LZ.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 02:17:27 AM »
the real Orange Sherbet was released for a very short time period, it may have been accidental and very limited, but it is factual and not a mislabel. I have a grafted OS and by no means is it LZ, very distinct difference, and I have both.  LZ is much more vigorous of a grower and both, along with Peach Cobbler and Pina Colada, are now grafted onto my Carrie.
           I treat trees for diseases, so I have encountered some pretty incredible collections out my way.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:19 AM »
the real Orange Sherbet was released for a very short time period, it may have been accidental and very limited, but it is factual and not a mislabel. I have a grafted OS and by no means is it LZ, very distinct difference, and I have both.  LZ is much more vigorous of a grower and both, along with Peach Cobbler and Pina Colada, are now grafted onto my Carrie.
Out on this coast at least, I have not had one with jelly seed as of yet. I also think OS tastes better than LZ, but this is just my opinion.           

Can't believe there is somebody outside Zills clan with real Orange Sherbet!! Sending PM. I'm also glad you have the same opinion.  OS is better than LZ.

Obet

• Manila,Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 06:27:53 AM »
I have found Orange Sherbet grafted plant being sold in ebay. Can somebody verify if this is for real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Sherbert-Mango-Mangifera-Indica-Grafted-3-gallon-Fruiting-size-/111425933576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f180d108
Robert
Las Pinas City
Philippines

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 07:18:03 AM »
I have found Orange Sherbet grafted plant being sold in ebay. Can somebody verify if this is for real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Sherbert-Mango-Mangifera-Indica-Grafted-3-gallon-Fruiting-size-/111425933576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f180d108

Nope, thats not Orange Sherbert.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 07:24:28 AM »
           I treat trees for diseases, so I have encountered some pretty incredible collections out my way.

Yes, ZHPP did release some pots thst had "OS" written on them but they were still L Z.  If you really h ave OS as you come here and say, with just your second post, prove it.  What you wrote doesn't even make sense...you say you have a grafted tree of it then you say it is grafted onto your Carrie??
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 08:14:07 AM »
All of the first run LZs had OS written on the pots.  I still have a dozen or more pots lying around with OS written on them.  My tree was labeled OS and it is 100% LZ.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 10:53:49 AM »
this is almost comical!!  I did some bark veneer grafts with scion wood from my OS and put onto my Carrie, what is so hard to understand about that, I have no idea.  I have no time to usually get involved with posting on forums, I have 3-4 postings on here and over 24 years of growing experience and have tasted most all of them side by side. IMHO I do not think a Dot or Edward can be beat, that is, if your looking for a superior, true mango flavor. All the newer cultivars, I am grafting onto my Carrie because they are nice to eat, but in limited amounts, I would never want a full tree of most of these unless a small tree like Ice Cream where I can tuck it away on the side of house not being utilized. Will mention the OS is in the ground, and if you think it is LZ, that is completely fine with me.  Then again, that damn pot was marked wrong, heard that happened quite a bit!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »
Obet, that's the standard Alphonso picture everyone is using. Seen it many times.

I hope beefyboy will post pictures of his OS fruits. Than its crystal clear. You can't confuse it with LZ.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
this is almost comical!!  I did some bark veneer grafts with scion wood from my OS and put onto my Carrie, what is so hard to understand about that, I have no idea.  I have no time to usually get involved with posting on forums, I have 3-4 postings on here and over 24 years of growing experience and have tasted most all of them side by side. IMHO I do not think a Dot or Edward can be beat, that is, if your looking for a superior, true mango flavor. All the newer cultivars, I am grafting onto my Carrie because they are nice to eat, but in limited amounts, I would never want a full tree of most of these unless a small tree like Ice Cream where I can tuck it away on the side of house not being utilized. Will mention the OS is in the ground, and if you think it is LZ, that is completely fine with me.  Then again, that damn pot was marked wrong, heard that happened quite a bit!

You came on this forum, make three posts out of nowhere all to state that you have OS (yet you also state, "I have no time to usually get involved with posting on forums"), offer up no proof when asked to provide (anybody can hide behind a monitor and say anything they want)...so you came on here why??
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
Obet, that's the standard Alphonso picture everyone is using. Seen it many times.

I hope beefyboy will post pictures of his OS fruits. Than its crystal clear. You can't confuse it with LZ.

Again. the evidence would be the fruits on the tree.  I have a picture of OS fruits but that doesnt mean I have a tree.
- Rob

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
So the 3 and 7 Gal OS trees being advertised by TT are most likely LZs?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:12:38 PM by cmichael258 »
Michael

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
So the 3 and 7 Gal OS trees being advertised by TT are most like LZs?

Yes, they ARE LZs.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

See the link I posted below. This Lemon Zest/OS question has come up many times in the past 3 years. Just as others have explained, when the Lemon Zest was first released, all of the pots said OS and some of the tags said Orange Sherbet. The reason for this was that the Lemon Zest was originally named 27-1, then named Lemon Zest, then named Orange Sherbet and then back to Lemon Zest again. The last name change back to LZ happened after propagation was started under the name OS. Unfortunately, some people disregarded what they were told and still sold the trees as Orange Sherbet and not Lemon Zest leading to a lot of confusion.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0903591217211.html?80

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »

Again. the evidence would be the fruits on the tree.  I have a picture of OS fruits but that doesnt mean I have a tree.

Well, he claims to be absolutely certain, and knows difference between LZ and OS. There might be very distant possibility couple OS were released accidentally as he claims,  but I don't know. Even before your posting, I would not have been buying any genetic material without seeing the tree with OS hanging on it. To get real OS ( my favorite mango)  I would be willing to make a special trip to FL's west coast.
I send OS seeds to plant, but who knows. Hope we will pick the right clone.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
I will be glad to bet $1,000 dollars it is Orange Sherbet and take as many betters who want to come forward. B.S, your problem is you think you know everything, and by many of your statements, I see otherwise. I am still waiting on your Jelly seed theory?? lol Furthermore, you called me out and asked if I had a grafted tree or I would have said nothing about it, plain and simple. I was waiting till it was old enough to bear fruit before I opened my mouth, for the proof is on the tree, not in words. Furthermore, I am not selling this tree or any part of it, so I have nothing to gain by making statements, especially foolish ones with no backing. I also do not need to hide behind a p.c screen as you mentioned, for with those words, trust me, your the one who better hide.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk