Author Topic: Wanted: Orange Sherbet Mango Tree  (Read 31044 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Orange Sherbet Mango Tree
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
"Can't we all just get along?"

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
I will be glad to bet $1,000 dollars it is Orange Sherbet and take as many betters who want to come forward. B.S, your problem is you think you know everything, and by many of your statements, I see otherwise. I am still waiting on your Jelly seed theory?? lol Furthermore, you called me out and asked if I had a grafted tree or I would have said nothing about it, plain and simple. I was waiting till it was old enough to bear fruit before I opened my mouth, for the proof is on the tree, not in words. Furthermore, I am not selling this tree or any part of it, so I have nothing to gain by making statements, especially foolish ones with no backing. I also do not need to hide behind a p.c screen as you mentioned, for with those words, trust me, your the one who better hide.

While I don't agree with BSBullies methods and manners when it comes to discussing a topic he disagrees with, based on what I know regarding the labeling situation of the Lemon Zest, I do not think you actually received a grafted Orange Sherbet from Zills but in fact received a grafted LZ with an orange sherbet tag. If you simply posted a picture of the fruit you picked or even a picture of the tree we would be able to tell if we are all in fact wrong and you did somehow receive a grafted OS.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »
I will be glad to bet $1,000 dollars it is Orange Sherbet and take as many betters who want to come forward. B.S, your problem is you think you know everything, and by many of your statements, I see otherwise. I am still waiting on your Jelly seed theory?? lol Furthermore, you called me out and asked if I had a grafted tree or I would have said nothing about it, plain and simple. I was waiting till it was old enough to bear fruit before I opened my mouth, for the proof is on the tree, not in words. Furthermore, I am not selling this tree or any part of it, so I have nothing to gain by making statements, especially foolish ones with no backing. I also do not need to hide behind a p.c screen as you mentioned, for with those words, trust me, your the one who better hide.

While I don't agree with BSBullies methods and manners when it comes to discussing a topic he disagrees with, based on what I know regarding the labeling situation of the Lemon Zest, I do not think you actually received a grafted Orange Sherbet from Zills but in fact received a grafted LZ with an orange sherbet tag. If you simply posted a picture of the fruit you picked or even a picture of the tree we would be able to tell if we are all in fact wrong and you did somehow receive a grafted OS.

I am a meanie  >:(
- Rob

Dexter_FTG

• Friends dont let friends eat a Tommy Atkins!
    • Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
Note to self: Never cut down a Pina Colada mango tree, and never suggest an LZ is an OS
Mango: the other white meat

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »
beefy - in all seriousness, I never called you out.  I don't even know you.  You came into the middle of a thread to say you had one.  Assuming Gary did not give you one as some type of "test subject" (which you never stated anything as such), and if in fact you purchased a grafted OS from ZHPP, I think I and others would just like to see it.  Based on a number of members who know the history of G-32 to its current day status, it would be hard to fathom that they mistakenly grafted some for sale but mistakes do happen.  That is why we, or at least I, asked for proof.  If I am wrong, I will be glad to admit it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:14:24 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 07:15:24 PM »
I think I covered this previously, I offered the cash bet and I put the money up with my mouth but all I am hearing is more talk Rob! Reading your post on Jelly Seed issues is what prompted me to respond to this whole thing.  Never was anything personal, but a statement with limited facts will always get my attention! You spoke way above your knowledge on the subject. It was way above anyone's knowledge unless they had dozens of OS trees next to LZ trees and planted in all area's of Florida for 6-8 years, which does not exist. I will take a pic of my OS tree and post, and then will update everyone on here. That is all I can do for now!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »
You will not find any OS trees for sale.  Gary has not and does not plan to release it at this time.  While some trees did come out of Zill HPP with "OS" on the pots, they were still LZ variety (a search can be done for the story behind the LZ vs OS name for an understanding. ?.and do not believe what TT says).  Facts about the two:

My LZ came in a pot marked OS. (FWIW, which ain't much)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
My comment as to jelly seed comes from eating both LZ and OS for years.  I will admit that they are only coming from a few different locations.  Most of what i have eaten have come from trees near 10 years of age.  Thing is, I have eaten hundreds of each over the years and they all seem to have a tendency getting jelly seed.  Not every fruit but enough that it is not an odd one here or there.  OS seems to be more aaffected.   These are my observations.  Their parent, PPK,  can also gets jelly seed.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 08:20:23 PM »
I'm reading what appear to be thinly veiled threats of violence towards Rob. Let's show that we're fully grown adults by taming that down a little.

Walter Zill's OS tree sometimes has issue with jelly seed. I've eaten OS fruits with jelly seed, and Walter has complained about it.

The OS can be distinguished from the LZ by the leaves as well as the fruit.

I bought the LZ marked as OS the day they were released and never got one that was a true OS. I'm not saying that it's impossible to obtain one via surreptitious methods, but Gary would not have willingly released budwood to anybody but a select group of individuals.
Jeff  :-)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »
That is a fair statement I can accept.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »
I'm With Jeff On This One...
Where her to learn from the other forum members who have massive Knowledge On Tropical Fruit Trees, Let's Be Civil On This .
Its A mango Tree ! ;)...

Now Back To Your Scheduled Program ......

Ed.

PS BeefyBoy Good luck with the Tree lkeep us updated..
Zone 10

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »
I think I covered this previously, I offered the cash bet and I put the money up with my mouth but all I am hearing is more talk Rob! Reading your post on Jelly Seed issues is what prompted me to respond to this whole thing.  Never was anything personal, but a statement with limited facts will always get my attention! You spoke way above your knowledge on the subject. It was way above anyone's knowledge unless they had dozens of OS trees next to LZ trees and planted in all area's of Florida for 6-8 years, which does not exist. I will take a pic of my OS tree and post, and then will update everyone on here. That is all I can do for now!

Of all the people for you to claim that is speaking above their knowledge on the subject you actually picked one of the few people who does have such knowledge. Rob has access to LZ and OS trees that are that old and he knows what he is talking about. As i've tried to explain in a few posts Beefyboy, a simple picture of the fruit hanging on your tree or a pic of your tree would easily let us tell whether you had a LZ or OS.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 02:00:40 AM »
You are correct on a simple picture, and as I said before, I was never going to mention it until I was asked straight up. That side of the coast is totally different and even your flavors are different off the same type of fruits, these are just facts, not my opinion.  However on Jelly seed in OS vs LZ  there is no proof of this whatsoever and to make an assumption of such without even a remote study, is just rediculous. My job is saving trees whether mangoes, palms, or otherwise and am educated from the UF in agriculture and Entomology. That is all I do day in and day out, whether from fungal infections, viruses, or bug infestation. I work on hundreds each week in commercial and also private settings so I deal with way more trees than I am sure most do. In my backyard I have some of the same hydroponics you will see at Epcot, and have grown over 500 Heirloom varieties of tomatoes here in the South, which is know easy task, not to mention all the other crops, so growing is not something new to me. With  mangoes, I have only 24 years in it and just started to play around with grafting mangoes onto my Carrie tree. With experience in growing tomato crops and also tomato grafting, I will say, mangoes are  a walk in the park comparably speaking.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »
I am talking on a real factual study on Jelly seed on all parts of the State growing mangoes with the same type of trees, People deserve the truth not opinions generated. I have never once had a Jelly seed from an OS or LZ fruit, but admittedly, have not had enough to make any claims, my studies would be weak at best.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
The battle of the acerbics.       bsbullie vs beefy   beefy vs bsbullie 

(beefy as in beefsteak tomato)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
You are correct on a simple picture, and as I said before, I was never going to mention it until I was asked straight up. That side of the coast is totally different and even your flavors are different off the same type of fruits, these are just facts, not my opinion.  However on Jelly seed in OS vs LZ  there is no proof of this whatsoever and to make an assumption of such without even a remote study, is just rediculous. My job is saving trees whether mangoes, palms, or otherwise and am educated from the UF in agriculture and Entomology. That is all I do day in and day out, whether from fungal infections, viruses, or bug infestation. I work on hundreds each week in commercial and also private settings so I deal with way more trees than I am sure most do. In my backyard I have some of the same hydroponics you will see at Epcot, and have grown over 500 Heirloom varieties of tomatoes here in the South, which is know easy task, not to mention all the other crops, so growing is not something new to me. With  mangoes, I have only 24 years in it and just started to play around with grafting mangoes onto my Carrie tree. With experience in growing tomato crops and also tomato grafting, I will say, mangoes are  a walk in the park comparably speaking.

Since BSBullie also has some type of horticulture degree from UF as well, and I assume you two are around the same age, maybe you two went to school together. Lol.

Peaches & Herb - Reunited (Album Version) HQ

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
It would be wonderful if you could post a photo of the tree so we can all see what an orangery sherbet tree looks like.  Thanks,  Dave

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »

Yep we have a "break up so we can make up" situation here. Frenemies.

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 11:29:21 AM »
Yes Mr. Zands, you got it pretty close. There was a tomato called Beefyboy by I believe Parks seed company and I was trying to think of a name to use for an online garden site I belong too and that is all I could come up with in short order. lol

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »
So Beffyboy, No photo of said tree? You said you were going to post a pic of your OS tree. We are all waiting to see this.
Joe

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
P&H Reunited & it feels So Goooooood ;) , remember playing that in my 1980 AMC Concord , After picking up my GF From School.

Man those lil cars have a comfy rear seat ;)...

Love the 80's....

Ed,,...
Zone 10

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2014, 12:43:49 AM »
Beffyboy may have a point. Now TopTropical is claiming to sell a new variety called Orange Sherbet. I contacted them and they claimed to know what the differences are and that they have the genuine thing. And when you think about it if anybody can tell the difference between a Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet you would think it would be them.   

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 12:50:57 AM »
Beffyboy may have a point. Now TopTropical is claiming to sell a new variety called Orange Sherbet. I contacted them and they claimed to know what the differences are and that they have the genuine thing. And when you think about it if anybody can tell the difference between a Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet you would think it would be them.

Please explain why "they", being Top Tropical,  would know the difference if anybody?  I would further to say be very cautious with Top Tropical.   They have had it on their list for years, since they bought the Lemon Zest trees with"OS" written on the pots.  To go even further,  in their pathetic description,  they show a picture a a fruit which is in no way an Orange Sherbert and they state the fruit is round, again, could not be further from being accurate.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:59:55 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 01:07:45 AM »
Please explain why "they", being Top Tropical,  would know the difference if anybody?  I would further to say be very cautious with Top Tropical.   They have had it on their list for years, since they bought the Lemon Zest trees with"OS" written on the pots.

Well, I'm just a newbie. But considering how "they" have sold literally thousands of fruit trees. A large percentage of that being mangoes including Lemon Zest. You would think that they would possibly know a thing or two about mangoes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk