Author Topic: Wanted: Orange Sherbet Mango Tree  (Read 31052 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Orange Sherbet Mango Tree
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 01:15:03 AM »
Please explain why "they", being Top Tropical,  would know the difference if anybody?  I would further to say be very cautious with Top Tropical.   They have had it on their list for years, since they bought the Lemon Zest trees with"OS" written on the pots.

Well, I'm just a newbie. But considering how "they" have sold literally thousands of fruit trees. A large percentage of that being mangoes including Lemon Zest. You would think that they would possibly know a thing or two about mangoes.

You must be new enough if you dont know what TopTropicals is, their poor reputation,  and the history of LZ vs OS.  They have had Orange Sherbert listed since 2011, if they were really selling it (and oddly enough the only nursery claiming they are selling it), I think every collector would have one in their yard.  Other than beefyboy, find me someone else who will state thay are growing it/own it and purchased from TopTropicals.
- Rob

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 02:10:04 AM »
They don't know what they are doing. My friend bought a "orange Sherbert" from tt. It turned out to be a lemon zest. When he called to complain they said if he packed the tree up and paid return shipping they would refund his money. Return shipping from California on one tree was almost as much as the tree cost. What a waste.

They are great for us SoCal peoe because they are the only company that will ship us seven gallon trees but their tagging and quality is questionable.

Bill

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2014, 02:26:20 AM »

You must be new enough if you dont know what TopTropicals is, their poor reputation,  and the history of LZ vs OS.  They have had Orange Sherbert listed since 2011, if they were really selling it (and oddly enough the only nursery claiming they are selling it), I think every collector would have one in their yard.  Other than beefyboy, find me someone else who will state thay are growing it/own it and purchased from TopTropicals.

1. " You must be new enough if you dont know what TopTropicals is, their poor reputation"
 Yes, I am new. But have heard good things about TopTropical and according to Dave's Garden
TopTropical and Excalibur have very similar reputations. In fact Excalibur has more Negative reviews than TopTropical so what are you saying about Excaliburs reputaion?
2." If they were really selling it (and oddly enough the only nursery claiming they are selling it). find me someone else who will state thay are growing".
Again, I am new but thought TropicalTreasures was different than TopTropical and they are also claiming to have it.
3. Everything else
I don't know if they have the genuine thing or even really care. This discussion which is really an argument that didn't even involve me. But when it seems like the entire thread of a-holes experts gang up on another forum users and mock them( for an opinion that might be right after all) . Nobody knows everything and just because an expert on this forum said it doesn't make them always right and the little guy deserving of mockery.   

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:01 AM »
Dude, you're right.  Its Orange Sherbert.   Go buy it and buy every one they have and give them to all your friends.   They will live you for it as long as they like Lemon Zest.

Its people like you with dumbass posts like yours thst ask for and deserve the attacks you get.  It is evudent you have no idea what you are saying.  You obviously dont know me and what I know and that is fine.  I really dont care whst Daves Garden says.  I guess you believe the owner of Excalibur plays video games too?
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 08:44:38 AM »
You have only been here a few months. The forum archives will verify that people have had variable (good, bad and ugly) experiences with Top Tropical. Some West Coast guys were very happy with the mango trees shipped to them. But some felt they got less than they bargained for, less than they paid for.

Just in contrast...there are no complaints I think of about Pine Island nursery which also ships out of state

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:38:02 PM by zands »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »
Whatever orange sherbet that top tropicals is selling, it's definitely not the one that Gary Zill selected and named. Gary, Marlys, and Walter Zill have all indicated in recent conversations that Gary has no intention of releasing their orange sherbet anytime soon. So, I'm not entirely sure I would trust top tropicals, especially given their propensity towards negative reviews on the gardenweb watchdog...
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
Jeff, that Orange Sherbet seed you gave me did wondrous things.  Never seen such a fast seed to fruit time.  Had my first fruit yesterday.  Very smooth, actually creamy...... with just right tart to sweet citrussy flavor mix. The color was right on. here's a picture:

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
Jeff, that Orange Sherbet seed you gave me did wondrous things.  Never seen such a fast seed to fruit time.  Had my first fruit yesterday.  Very smooth, actually creamy...... with just right tart to sweet citrussy flavor mix. The color was right on. here's a picture:

Nice, how many chill hours needed?  ;D

DM

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2014, 03:16:13 AM »
I think even the best nursery can make a mistake once in a while.

here is another possibility,  maybe the tree that is believed to be a OS,  is not a LZ or OS but some other variety.   this would explain why when comparing it with LZ the fruits look different .

would be nice if Beefy can post a picture,  would be cool if it really was a OS that "snuck out" into the world. :)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:10 PM »
pic, pic, pic!!!!

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »
There is the Orange Sherbet Mango tree! sorry for the delay, could not get my phone camera to download into my P.C

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
And why these damn pics are sideways, I have no idea!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
You made us to believe tree is mature and fruited already :-\...I see someone having a picnic day.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »
I said from the start my friend, that it was too young to bear so you need to read from the beginning.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
that is why a pic now is meaningless. It has to have fruit on it to prove anything! If you know these two trees, you can see that the growth of Sherbet is more compact than LZ. The LZ is more leggy than OS, I have an LZ close by in a pot that is more vigorous than my OS in the ground. After next summer I will let it have one or two fruit depending.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »
I said from the start my friend, that it was too young to bear so you need to read from the beginning.

Well, you said I never had jelly seed issues with OS. What does that imply?

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2014, 06:06:11 PM »
it implies just that!

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
In all fairness, some folks asked BB to post a photo of his tree and he did. Personally, I couldn't distinguish between
a LZ, OS or a Hogwart.
Michael

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
In all fairness, some folks asked BB to post a photo of his tree and he did. Personally, I couldn't distinguish between
a LZ, OS or a Hogwart.

Come on.......I am quite sure you'd pick the Hogwort out as the one that doesn't belong.  ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
a LZ, OS or a Hogwart.

Come on.......I am quite sure you'd pick the Hogwort out as the one that doesn't belong.  ;)

Damn.... I got it wrong again     >:(
Michael

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »
I hate to be bearer of bad news, but the OS tree I've seen doesn't have wavy leaves like the LM and LZ do. That looks like a lemon meringue, or possibly a LZ.

I'm afraid there are currently only two ways to get OS trees:

a) surreptitious collection of budwood
 b) plant seeds and wait.

(I'm doing the latter option :-)
Jeff  :-)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »
So were is the part about beffyboy pissing on Rob
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2014, 09:11:19 PM »
I hate to be bearer of bad news, but the OS tree I've seen doesn't have wavy leaves like the LM and LZ do. That looks like a lemon meringue, or possibly a LZ.

I'm afraid there are currently only two ways to get OS trees:

a) surreptitious collection of budwood
 b) plant seeds and wait.

(I'm doing the latter option :-)

yup, sure looks like LZ to me...
- Rob

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2014, 02:46:05 AM »
To all the newbies, Rob is head of hazing and initiation here at TFF. Go ahead and get all the fondling and caressing in the back seat over with, wear protection and have her back home by 10. Now go forth and learn!

Life is good

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk