Author Topic: Advice for me New Trees (Mango, Starfruit, Jackfruit)  (Read 3318 times)

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
Advice for me New Trees (Mango, Starfruit, Jackfruit)
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »
Over the last month, I recently planted 4 new trees in my backyard (Keitt Mango, Nam Doc Mai Mango, Carambola-not sure the variety, and Mai3 Jack). I will post the photos below with my questions if anybody has any advice? ;D

Below is a Keitt Mango that I planted 4 weeks ago. It came in a 3 gallon container and when I purchased it, there were others that were flowering. Since I planted it, NOTHING has happened. It looks healthy (to me) but has not shown any growth at all..

Same thing goes for this Nam Doc Mai...

Carambola has been groweing like CRAZY, but it seems to just be getting taller by the day and Not Thicker, should I prune this??

I think this Jack is ok, with the exception of there is a fruit on it and I want it to branch more, but has only been in ground 3 weeks

Zach

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for me New Trees (Mango, Starfruit, Jackfruit)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Everything looks just fine. It normally takes alot more then three weeks to see a growth flush on a newly planted tropical fruit tree.

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »
okay, i guess expected more since the plase I bought the Mango trees from said they MAY flower in a couple months..
Zach

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »

Same thing goes for this Nam Doc Mai...

Nice stout Nam Doc Mai. It grows slowly and is a dwarfish tree. They like to put resources into fruiting instead of leaf and branch growth......relative to other mangoes. You can plant another fruit tree close to it like an avocado, lychee or tangerine

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »
Totally agree.....everything looks great.  Now as to whether to leave the fruit on the jakfruit....that is the question.  If you want the tree to establish faster, I would remove the fruit for this season.  If you don't mind the possibility of stunting the tree to some extent, leave the fruit.  It shouldn't kill the tree to carry the fruit to maturity.  But it will take quite a bit of energy to produce the fruit which could be used by the tree to get more growth above ground.  Make sure you keep this tree very well watered.  It is very easy to think you are watering and the water is just passing the root ball by and going around it.  I would consider drip irrigation for the tree until the rainy season starts next month.  You can just leave the hose trickling very slowly so that the roots get the water they need.  Don't be afraid to over water it.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
If it were me, I would staek the mangoes.  I would also cut the Nam Doc Mai back and allow it to start branching low (Harry - I know you disagree with this).  Zach - if I remember what you said, you would rather tyou plants be shorter and wider as opposed to "free growing" with no height restrictions.  To accomplish the shorter (more manageable) and wider trees, you will need to start topping them (there are many threads here about topping, or "pugging").  By topping you will also promote growth as well as branching. 

With respect to the Jak, I would leave the fruit to maturity.  The tree is definitly large enough to carry it.  Once you harvet the fruit, you can them begin your topping and branch promotion.  Again, if I am correct, since you want the jak a more manageable and wider tree, leaving the fruit on and temproarily "stunting" the tree might be in your advantage.  You could cut the fruit off but I don't think it is necessary. 

Bottom line. there is no right or wrong here, only decisions you need to make based on what you want and what you want out of the trees.  In any event, welcome to the addiction and good luck with these adn any and all future tropical fruit endeavours.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »
3 weeks in the life of a mango tree is like a blink of an eye. One thing this hobby nurtures is patience. One other thing i notice is that plants almost never grow according to human schedules, they grow at their own sweet time.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk