Author Topic: Epicotyl Grafting...Update.  (Read 35968 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Epicotyl Grafting...Update.
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
Hi to all fellow members :),

Here's an easy way to propagate avocadoes!
Avocado Epicotyl Grafting

I'm sharing this vid to help fellow members to succeed in avocado grafting. If you are receiving scions from a friend or importing them from Oscar. I highly recommed that you use this type of graft and you can expect high success rates.

I collected material on the other side of the Island of a huge avocado, the scions were stored in the fridge since January. I grafted with these scions in June...with 100% takes. I was really amazed that stored budwood took much faster that fresh budwood 8) The graft usually take 2 weeks to sproat, these scions sproated less that 2 weeks...pics of these these grafts and one I done 2 weeks before are included in the vid at the end ;)

I forgot to add this in the vid, remove all the shoots that sproat from the seed and rootstock. when the union is formed...re-adjust the graft tape as soon as the scion has started to grow to prevent girdling of the scions.
This method can also be done to;
*Mango
*Jackfruit
*Mamey Sapote
*Green Sapote
*Canistel
*Mammee apple
*Durian
*Matisia
*Cashew
*Cacau/Cocoa...etc

Any plant with a thick epicotyl shot ;)

Here's the pics of the Avo's that I included in the vid;

I will answer any comments tomorrow...today, I don't have time  :(

ENJOY...hope this is useful  :)

Take care,
Steven

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:44:57 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Epicotyl Grafting...Update.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »
I think this is synonymous with "stone grafting". Here's how it's done with mangos, almost exactly the same as in the video-
http://www.development4you.org/2011/05/epicotyle-mango-grafting.html
Richard

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/p/Tech_Bull/TB194.pdf
It might be worth a sticky beak at what some big guns have to say on the matter.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »
nice graft pics !  i have not watched the video yet.  I always make my cuts very long, I'm surprised how short the cuts can be made!

thanks for sharing and caring!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing!
-Luke

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:11:33 AM »
I think this is synonymous with "stone grafting". Here's how it's done with mangos, almost exactly the same as in the video-
Hi Richard,
Yes, stone grafting and epi's are the same. I found this site a while back, when i was doing some research on mango stone/epi propagtion.

http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/p/Tech_Bull/TB194.pdf
It might be worth a sticky beak at what some big guns have to say on the matter.
Hey Mike,
Thanks for sharing these link :)

nice graft pics !  i have not watched the video yet.  I always make my cuts very long, I'm surprised how short the cuts can be made!

thanks for sharing and caring!!

Olá Adão,
I usually make a cut, about an inch...with this type of graft, i do it shorter.

Thanks for sharing!
-Luke

Hi Luke,
 :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:13:46 AM »
I'm glad i shared this with fellow members :) Sharing and caring...like Adam said :)

Hope fellow member's give this type of graft a shot :)
Time is like a river.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:20:34 AM »
Very straightforward video. Thanks! So this will work as well on mangoes? I like your choice of grafting knife  :)      What kind of plastic are you wrapping it with? Is it tape or cut from a plastic bag?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:24:23 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:34:10 AM »

Very useful information at that link along with JWhisperer video

Here are two more grafting videos from India. They invented the mango so they just might know what they are doing. In second video he wraps tape fast!
http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/horticulture/horti_fruits_mango.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:02:10 AM by zands »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
I'm glad i shared this with fellow members :) Sharing and caring...like Adam said :)

After watching your video and checking out the links from others, I am determined to practice with this now,  thanks for posting.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
Very straightforward video. Thanks! So this will work as well on mangoes? I like your choice of grafting knife  :)      What kind of plastic are you wrapping it with? Is it tape or cut from a plastic bag?

Hi Zands,
Yes, India uses this method to propagate mangos on large scale and fast. This method from graft to plantation take 6-8 months...instead of a year. I have done epi's last year and i gave them all to a neighbour of mine. These avo's in them pics are also for a neighbour, that always gives me sugarcane :)

Razor blades is a dangerous choice :o Please fellow members take the utmost care when grafting with a razor blade...razor blades are more for semi-hardwood scions!

Yes, I cut from plastic bags. I also use a razor blade for this job...nice clean cut.  I like to use a thick plastic like the zip lock type for grafting.

After watching your video and checking out the links from others, I am determined to practice with this now,  thanks for posting.

Hi Tropicdude,
Glad you are going to give this type of graft a shot :)...all member should :)
Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
How old of a seedling do you use?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 04:14:12 PM »
How old of a seedling do you use?

Hi Nullzero,
I usually use a rootstock that is 2 weeks old...have grafted a 2 month old with the same results. 8)
Time is like a river.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »
Thanks Jack great video!!!
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Nice vid Crazy Amazon dude and quick work with the plastic wrapping!  It is always nice to see other people's work.

cheers,
-Ethan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:38 PM »
Very good video!!!

I always hack at my scions much longer than you...u seemed to graft effortlessly.

I may have to upload a video soon, so the members can see how I graft, and get a good laugh.

Its a wonder I ever have success.

Thanks again for posting the vid.

Very nice.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 01:25:51 AM »
Great video, was very informative.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 07:45:51 AM »
Thanks Jack great video!!!
Hi Carlos,

Nice vid Crazy Amazon dude and quick work with the plastic wrapping!  It is always nice to see other people's work.

cheers,
-Ethan
Hi Ethan,
 ;D Thanks :) you should have seen me when i grafted my first one :-[ ;D ;D ;D

Very good video!!!
I always hack at my scions much longer than you...u seemed to graft effortlessly.
I may have to upload a video soon, so the members can see how I graft, and get a good laugh.
Its a wonder I ever have success.
Thanks again for posting the vid.

Very nice.
Hi Adam,
 Thanks :) With some plant you should make a much larger cut...larger surface for proper cambium contact.
Can't wait to check you in action ;)

Great video, was very informative.

Hi Nullzero,
 :) I have another grafting method up my sleeve ;)...will share this method in spring to help fellow members up north to get great results in grafting. Long story...short...this method my uncle share with my dad...then my dad shared it with me 8) This method is called ''bottle graft method'' 8)

--------------------------------------------------

Glad fellow members enjoyed the vid :) hope to post more vids in the near future and of course share  ;) :)
Time is like a river.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
Epicotyl grafting of avocados has been standard here for well over half a century.

I have done this with many jackfruits also.

I imagine it could work well with mangos from large mono-embryonic seeds, after the base of the shoot has hardened up and turned green.   Most Turpentine embryos would not likely have enough stored nutrients for this technique.
Har

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
Steven,

thanks for posting the video. I have just grafted about a 100 of avos using this same technique over the last 2 weeks. It is my second season doing it this way. I had great success last year (about 80 %). Hopefully it will be same or even better this year :)

Guanabanus,

i would be interested in getting more informations about your experience with epicotyl grafting on jackfruits. I have tried many different techniques with jackfruits (from approach to top wedge, side veneer, chip budding...) and till now i have not found any satisfactory method. How old are the rootstocks when you graft? what season? do you cover your grafts with plastic and for how long? from my last attempts i remember having some difficulties with the rot of scions...

thanks to all for sharing,

Samuel
Reunion Island

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
so u finally made it to stickydom huh, jackwhisper???  how's it feel 2 b famous   8) ?

o btw, forgot to mention, what's up with the used pamper looking pots???  where did u get those diaper looking grow bags??

that's a thrifty man, who even uses a soiled diaper to house a seedling!!
 ;D

but for real though, where u get those Bo graggz?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
Samuel,
Yes, various rots, immediate or delayed, definitely bedevil the grafter of jaks.  I felt reasonably successful to get nearly 50% survival to point of sale. 

I used plants that were 3-10 inches tall and still buttery, with plenty of "umf" left in the seeds.
Har

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 12:35:50 AM »
Now I know how to graft! Sweet! Now I have to find a Queen scion!  ;D

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 06:40:50 AM »
Epicotyl grafting of avocados has been standard here for well over half a century.
I have done this with many jackfruits also.
I imagine it could work well with mangos from large mono-embryonic seeds, after the base of the shoot has hardened up and turned green.   Most Turpentine embryos would not likely have enough stored nutrients for this technique.

Hi Har,
I agree! My first exposure seeing this method was around 3 years ago from a Californian site, that does this method commercially.

Haven't tried an epicotyl graft on Jackfruit. Maybe using seeds from a jackfruit that are large. Maybe, seeds from a Blackgold Jackfruit?

In India they prefer to us a mono-embryonic seed and plant the seed vertically, so that the seed are easily uprooted from the raised beds with not much damage to root system.

Steven,
thanks for posting the video. I have just grafted about a 100 of avos using this same technique over the last 2 weeks. It is my second season doing it this way. I had great success last year (about 80 %). Hopefully it will be same or even better this year :)
Guanabanus,
i would be interested in getting more informations about your experience with epicotyl grafting on jackfruits. I have tried many different techniques with jackfruits (from approach to top wedge, side veneer, chip budding...) and till now i have not found any satisfactory method. How old are the rootstocks when you graft? what season? do you cover your grafts with plastic and for how long? from my last attempts i remember having some difficulties with the rot of scions...
thanks to all for sharing,

Hi Samuel,
 :) That's amazing, 100 Avocodo epi's 8) Hope you get all to take this year ;) I have only done around 6 ;D and lost one, which i was experimented with using a soft-wood scion.

Regarding the Jackfruit epicotyl grafting, there must be feral jackfruits on your island that produce large seeds for epicotyl grafting, Just a matter of looking for them. I reckon these feral jackfruits will make an excellent rootstock.

so u finally made it to stickydom huh, jackwhisper???  how's it feel 2 b famous   8) ?
o btw, forgot to mention, what's up with the used pamper looking pots???  where did u get those diaper looking grow bags??
that's a thrifty man, who even uses a soiled diaper to house a seedling!!
 ;D
but for real though, where u get those Bo graggz?
Hi Adão,
 ;D finally a sticky icky ;D  But, seriously I didn't do this get a sticky. but, it's always welcome :)

I bet you are going to lmao with this one :'( It's bread bags that i use for a nice deep 10 inch pot for long tap rooted plants like avo ;D ;D ;D The cooperative never ordered those long plantation pot's/sleeves again...so, i tinked out of da box 8)

I liked the name ''Diaper Pot's''  ;D ;D ;D Good one, Adam! ;D

Now I know how to graft! Sweet! Now I have to find a Queen scion!  ;D
Hi Xeno,
Practice makes perfect ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:50:32 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
Samuel,
Yes, various rots, immediate or delayed, definitely bedevil the grafter of jaks.  I felt reasonably successful to get nearly 50% survival to point of sale. 

I used plants that were 3-10 inches tall and still buttery, with plenty of "umf" left in the seeds.

Guanabanus, what do you mean by "umf"?
Samuel
Reunion Island