Author Topic: conquering the muck and mud  (Read 2118 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
conquering the muck and mud
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:51:05 PM »
I think I got drainage and flooding under control this time for most stubborn area of property., the canal diverts to usual pathway of floodwaters, but got two highgrounds both sides.   It’s 22 meters long by 2.5 meters deep. I plan to use this for irragation water exclusively and has water all year round due to small
underground spring somewhere in this area likely opened up by the banyan tree.

Now digging plantingholes 6 feet down by 2 feet wide.  Filling 70% up with manure, and then going with potting soil overflowing.   At least 6 premium planting tree sites have been recovered by diggimg the canal.

For back side going with caimito, and old side likely black palm or coconut.

Rainy spring 1-2 months away and flooding season 6 months away, so hopefully can get some goundcover going to prevent some of the erosion.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: conquering the muck and mud
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:40 AM »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Dam good job! A lot people won't use hand tools anymore but it does the best job and help keeps you fit.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
canal dug with backhoe, had a guy on site already to dig another pond,  But still gettimg work in all day long with shovel and hoe grading the fill, laying irrigation pipe and planting trees. 95 and full sun everyday, killing me :)

besides fruit trees, taking a stab at watermelon and kubucha, maybe they can cover the open dirt

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Wow... things like this make me glad that I only grow in pots.  That must have been a ton of work! 

Looks great though, I hope it pays off!
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:07:02 PM »
I guess in 5 years will know!  but I think for sure most trees will do good.  If not the original holes aren't going anywhere, so those can be easily replanted with new trees.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 12:20:22 AM »
actually after these pictures were taking I spent considerable time with a hoe leveling stuff out and raking up all the junk.

but still good update on original post, the trees are now doing very well in this area, it is premium real estate for planting now, lakoocha has shown really good growth, bamboo and bananas very healthy, although not all shown in pics.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
The work will reward you for years to come.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
Wow, great job. Lot of work for sure, looks like you will never need to water your plants again.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
thanks, I liked this project, and started another new project with same idea, however riskier because near house... also found out afterwards much less clay in this area.

Just in case the the raised level isn't high enough I went with concrete 'no bottom' cylinders, at about $5/pc it is worth it.  Also helps to keep water and fertilizer where it needs to go, and also from the pig uprooting the saplings.  I think they are kind of ugly, but when used uniformly like this, not too bad.  :)    In 5 years I can always break the cylinder and turn the area into a mound once the citrus taproot has gotten in deep.

Mostly all lime, with some special citrus like kaffir, dekopon, texas grapefruit, pink lime, var. meyer, tangerines etc. about 35 cylinders put in.  All premium soil mix which is a mixture of mountainous 'sandy' mineral clay and composted manure and betel husk.  I may have to cull the dekopon, tangerines, and texas grapefruit, not sure if our wet season will count as a 'chill'

Also all gray water is now rerouted to this water, including overflow from cesspits, dishwater, washing machine, etc.  I have planted Thai Hyacinths (reportedly my species is edible), liles, and lotus, and released some koi.  The water in the pictures seems very dirty, but pictures taken when just 2 weeks in.  The small pond and ditch is now full of tadpoles and koi have survived, I did release about 1 gallon of homemade 'vinegar' aka 'jurinsee' which is full of beneficial bacteria to activate the pond, and now surprisingly with all that gray water I have a very clean pond and currently in the dry season.  The basin of the pond broke the water table and is self filling, will never dry out completely.  The ditch leading into the pond may dry out completely, but not a big deal.  I am not using this water for irrigation or raising any fish to eat.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
Those look good enough to me.  Nice work.  Keep posting photos.
Brad Spaugh

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
Neat to see how clear the water is now - great ecosystem you've created!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk