Author Topic: Hawaiian Avocado's in California  (Read 4735 times)

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Hawaiian Avocado's in California
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:32:49 AM »
So me and my family have been in Kauai for the last week and we have been going to a new farmers market ever other day. We have been eating all the tropical fruit I can't get fresh at home but the Avocados have been a stand out! Today I had my first Sharwil and I was in complete heaven I have to believe this is the most ideal texture to any avocado. I also have green gold, yamagata and several other unnamed varieties that I have picked from trees off the road or are seedlings grow from someone's backyard and sold at farmers markets.
With all these excellent varieties on the island why do we California avocado guys not see them grown or sold? I know this trip has been a game changer for me and I will be trying to move mountains to get a scion or two on my backyard avocados.
Also another interesting observation while being here driving around I must have seen over 50 wild avocado trees growing next to the road in drainage ditches, heck the hotel I'm staying at right now has a row of maybe twenty trees on the side of the property and 95% of the trees I see are the healthiest looking avocado trees I have ever seen with nothing but jungle compost and five rain storms a day. This has really made me think about how much I water my trees. I will try and post some pictures of all the beautiful trees tomorrow.
Erik

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaiian Avocado's in California
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:20:44 AM »
Hey Erik, glad you're having such a great time with your family. A lot of "Hawaiian" Avocado varieties are available here in O.C. A few people in this forum have amassed a serious collection of Avocados. Cant wait to see you're pics.
-Chris

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
Too bad we aren't doing more testing of Hawaiian avocados in Florida--our climate being more similar to Hawaii's than California's is.
John

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
Today I had my first Sharwil and I was in complete heaven I have to believe this is the most ideal texture to any avocado. I also have green gold, yamagata and several other unnamed varieties that I have picked from trees off the road or are seedlings grow from someone's backyard and sold at farmers markets.
With all these excellent varieties on the island why do we California avocado guys not see them grown or sold?

Sharwil is fairly common with CRFG hobbyist growers. I grafted some Sharwil scion wood recently.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
All those avacados are grown in California. I have Malama and kuhalu but I agree sharwill is a special avocado....

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:08:35 PM »
Too bad we aren't doing more testing of Hawaiian avocados in Florida--our climate being more similar to Hawaii's than California's is.

We’re growing a few. Specifically Nishikawa, Yamagata, Kahaluu, Malama, and San Miguel. Nishikawa has fruited before and is excellent.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:13:58 PM »

We’re growing a few. Specifically Nishikawa, Yamagata, Kahaluu, Malama, and San Miguel. Nishikawa has fruited before and is excellent.
Is Nishikawa a big tree?  Can it take full sun?  (I'm thinking of replacing my Oro Negro, which has been a dud.  Good move, or no?)
John

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »

Is Nishikawa a big tree?  Can it take full sun?  (I'm thinking of replacing my Oro Negro, which has been a dud.)

It’s actually grown pretty slowly (in full sun). But it’s healthy and flowering well right now.

I also once had one at my old Loxahatchee farm and it was moderately vigorous. Got hit by the tractor and died though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:25:57 PM by Squam256 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 10:33:57 PM »

Is Nishikawa a big tree?  Can it take full sun?  (I'm thinking of replacing my Oro Negro, which has been a dud.)

It’s actually grown pretty slowly (in full sun). But it’s healthy and flowering well right now.

I also once had one at my old Loxahatchee farm and it was moderately vigorous. Got hit by the tractor and died though.
Do you think it's better than Oro Negro???
John

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »

Do you think it's better than Oro Negro???

I don’t know if it’s “better”, I really like Oro Negro too. Nishikawa has a higher oil content though if that matters.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 02:10:48 AM »
What grows and fruits well in Hawaiian climate won't necessarily do so in California, and vice versa. For example, Hass does terribly here. Yes avocado grows wild in many of the wetter parts of Hawaii. Survived my first years here just foraging for avocados, papayas, breadfruit, passionfruits, guavas, all growing wild....till i could get my own trees growing.
BTW, Sharwil is not a Hawaiian avocado. It's actually from Australia. But has become most commonly sold avocado here.
I sell scions of many of the Hawaiian avocados if you want to try grafting them there. Take a look at http://fruitlovers.com/Scions.html
Oscar

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 03:07:39 AM »
What grows and fruits well in Hawaiian climate won't necessarily do so in California, and vice versa. For example, Hass does terribly here. Yes avocado grows wild in many of the wetter parts of Hawaii. Survived my first years here just foraging for avocados, papayas, breadfruit, passionfruits, guavas, all growing wild....till i could get my own trees growing.
BTW, Sharwil is not a Hawaiian avocado. It's actually from Australia. But has become most commonly sold avocado here.
I sell scions of many of the Hawaiian avocados if you want to try grafting them there. Take a look at http://fruitlovers.com/Scions.html
Hey Oscar what are your thoughts about finding Avocado seedlings that are growing and fruiting in elevation or in dryer climates. Do you think that these factors will help these Island avocados transfer to a good mainland avocados "southern California" in this case.
Erik

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 04:02:36 AM »
Hey Oscar what are your thoughts about finding Avocado seedlings that are growing and fruiting in elevation or in dryer climates. Do you think that these factors will help these Island avocados transfer to a good mainland avocados "southern California" in this case.
Do you mean grafting Hawaiian avocados to hardy rootstock that is adpapted to California conditions? If so, yes that would probably help.
Oscar

figbert

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
How has Greengold performed compared to Sharwil in SoCal? Would it be worth it to graft over a Sharwil to Greengold?

I planted a small Sharwil and a larger Reed next to each other in early 2018. The Reed has done well - I just ate my first home grown avocado, it was excellent, and there are another 18 on the tree.

The Sharwil leaves have stayed pretty healthy looking but it has been slow to grow. It also blooms much earlier than the Reed. This year with the awesome spring weather they overlapped and the Sharwil set fruit for the first time, but the previous two years it was all but finished blooming before the Reed got started. I've read that Sharwil can be shy bearing, due in part to the bloom happening during weather too cold for successful fruit set, and that Greengold blooms later and sets fruit more reliably.

If I switch it over to Greengold, I'll have grafted branches of B-types nearby to help with pollination, along with a few remaining branches of Sharwil.

If I keep the tree as Sharwil, should I find an earlier blooming A-type to pair with it?

I'm in San Diego, almost 7 miles from the coast. These are backyard trees, I'll be keeping them small.

Thanks for any advice!

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
Sharwil:    Orig in Redland Bay,Queensland, Austr. by Frank V. Sharpe of Clayfield, Brisbane. Introd. there in 1954; now grown in three stages in AUS, in Spain,&in the U.S. in FL & CA. Chance seedling;selected 1951. Fruit 7-13 oz; somewhat more ovoid than Fuerte; skin green, thickness med.; seed sm., market quality excellent; season Aug.- Nov. in AUS.(Fuerte's season there is April-July); resembles Fuerte. Tree: hardy; growth dwarf; produces crops regularly; flower group A. (B&O Register) Some commercial activity in HI. Similar to Edranol but thicker skin & greener flesh near skin. Excellent flavor. Fruit is good nearly year round beginning March. 5 trees are med. sm. at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA. field 44, row 9, trees 7-11. (J.R. Frink 1998) Sharwil Origin, AUS.; Race, Guat.; Flower group, B (Lahav & Gazit)(originated in AUS);similar to Fuerte in shape but a little more oval; of med. size; skin rather rough, fairly thin; flesh rich in flavor, of high quality;15-26%oil. Season: May & June in New South Wales & Queensland. Tree bears regularly but not heavily. Represents 18-20% of all avocados in New South Wales & Queensland. Disease-free during ripening. (J.Morton 1987) Sharwil is a winter-spring bearing variety originally from Australia that has been well accepted by home gardeners and commercial growers in Kona. It is being marketed as a gourmet avocado because of its rich nutty flavor. Fruits are green skinned when mature. Type B flower.(Frankie's Nursery, Waimanalo, Hawaii,1999)

Greengold:Orig. in Haleakala Branch Station, Hawaii by R.A. Hamilton, Univ. of Hawaii. Introd in 1982.Sharwill x open pollinated seedling.Cross made in 1962; selected in 1970;tested as HAL R27T8.Fruit:size 12 oz; oval;skin green; seed 16% of fruit weight;flesh quality good; ripens Feb.- May, good handling quality. Tree: medium, upright; very productive, tendency to alternate bearing; vigor medium; tolerant to ethylene dibromide fumigation, anthracnose, thrips, and rust mite damage. (B&O Register) A few trees are growing at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA. In field 44, row 13, #6 &13 are two newly grafted Green Gold trees. (J.R. Frink 1998) Origin, HI; Race, Guat.; Flowering group, A (Lahav & Gazit) Green Gold is a Sharwil selection developed by the University of Hawaii. Like the parent, the Green Gold is pyriform shaped, rich and nutty, with a small seed. It is a prolific bearer maturing its fruits primarily during the spring months. Type A flower.( Frankie's Nursery, Waimanalo, Hawaii 1999)

I prefer Greengold compared to a still excellent Sharwil.  In our climate (San Luis Obispo County) both do well.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
Sharwil does great here I planted a lot of them because the first tree did so well and the fruit is great.  Green gold growth is not as good as sharwil and doesn't bloom well.  I wouldn't top work the sharwil. 

I'm 15 miles inland at 1200ft east of of poway.
Brad Spaugh

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 11:02:19 PM »
I planted a sharwil (and a sir prize) in 2019, haven't seen a bloom yet from either. Growth is slow on the sharwil.
--Jake

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 02:36:07 AM »
Fwiw, I got nishikawa scions from squam 2 years ago and the tree grows like a beast here in socal.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
So me and my family have been in Kauai for the last week and we have been going to a new farmers market ever other day. We have been eating all the tropical fruit I can't get fresh at home but the Avocados have been a stand out! Today I had my first Sharwil and I was in complete heaven I have to believe this is the most ideal texture to any avocado.

My 10' Sharwil is loaded. Love the small seed too.

Last month. 

Look familiar?  Napali coast, 35 mm film "back in the day", taken from a Zodiac boat.

Fantastic that you got to try the fruit every day.

Sharwil has a very high 28% oil content. https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-50.pdf

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:52:22 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 12:59:15 PM »
I planted a sharwil (and a sir prize) in 2019, haven't seen a bloom yet from either. Growth is slow on the sharwil.

Thats 1 year ago.  Plants take time
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »

My 10' Sharwil is loaded. Love the small seed too.

Sharwil has a very high 28% oil content. https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-50.pdf

Wow!  Flesh to seed ratio does look phenomenal.
John

figbert

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
OK, patience it is. A few years from now I may appreciate the slow growth rate.  Thanks for the information all!

Fwiw, I got nishikawa scions from squam 2 years ago and the tree grows like a beast here in socal.

I actually received two scions a few months ago, one has taken. It's a branch now on my Reed.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 03:10:28 PM »
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:33:49 PM by Mark in Texas »

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »

Thats 1 year ago.  Plants take time

Yeah, not complaining, just sharing experience.  I'm fine waiting a couple more years for fruit, as long as I get a nice-looking, productive tree out of it.
--Jake

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 01:20:49 PM »
Sharwil:    Orig in Redland Bay,Queensland, Austr. by Frank V. Sharpe of Clayfield, Brisbane. Introd. there in 1954; now grown in three stages in AUS, in Spain,&in the U.S. in FL & CA. Chance seedling;selected 1951. Fruit 7-13 oz; somewhat more ovoid than Fuerte; skin green, thickness med.; seed sm., market quality excellent; season Aug.- Nov. in AUS.(Fuerte's season there is April-July); resembles Fuerte. Tree: hardy; growth dwarf; produces crops regularly; flower group A. (B&O Register) Some commercial activity in HI. Similar to Edranol but thicker skin & greener flesh near skin. Excellent flavor. Fruit is good nearly year round beginning March. 5 trees are med. sm. at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA. field 44, row 9, trees 7-11. (J.R. Frink 1998) Sharwil Origin, AUS.; Race, Guat.; Flower group, B (Lahav & Gazit)(originated in AUS);similar to Fuerte in shape but a little more oval; of med. size; skin rather rough, fairly thin; flesh rich in flavor, of high quality;15-26%oil. Season: May & June in New South Wales & Queensland. Tree bears regularly but not heavily. Represents 18-20% of all avocados in New South Wales & Queensland. Disease-free during ripening. (J.Morton 1987) Sharwil is a winter-spring bearing variety originally from Australia that has been well accepted by home gardeners and commercial growers in Kona. It is being marketed as a gourmet avocado because of its rich nutty flavor. Fruits are green skinned when mature. Type B flower.(Frankie's Nursery, Waimanalo, Hawaii,1999)

Greengold:Orig. in Haleakala Branch Station, Hawaii by R.A. Hamilton, Univ. of Hawaii. Introd in 1982.Sharwill x open pollinated seedling.Cross made in 1962; selected in 1970;tested as HAL R27T8.Fruit:size 12 oz; oval;skin green; seed 16% of fruit weight;flesh quality good; ripens Feb.- May, good handling quality. Tree: medium, upright; very productive, tendency to alternate bearing; vigor medium; tolerant to ethylene dibromide fumigation, anthracnose, thrips, and rust mite damage. (B&O Register) A few trees are growing at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA. In field 44, row 13, #6 &13 are two newly grafted Green Gold trees. (J.R. Frink 1998) Origin, HI; Race, Guat.; Flowering group, A (Lahav & Gazit) Green Gold is a Sharwil selection developed by the University of Hawaii. Like the parent, the Green Gold is pyriform shaped, rich and nutty, with a small seed. It is a prolific bearer maturing its fruits primarily during the spring months. Type A flower.( Frankie's Nursery, Waimanalo, Hawaii 1999)

I prefer Greengold compared to a still excellent Sharwil.  In our climate (San Luis Obispo County) both do well.

So Sharwil is listed as 'A' once and 'B' three times. Does that mean its B by consensus?

Greengold + Sharwil seem like they might be a nice A + B combo.
Shane