Author Topic: Anybody growing figs and selling cuttings ?  (Read 4849 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Anybody growing figs and selling cuttings ?
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
I know nothing about figs , have only one tree that is doing very well in my climate ( comparable to South Florida )

I am under very heavy pressure from my wife , she treathens to cut down some of my rare stuff if I don’t plant more figs .....LOL...so lets hear from you .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Anybody growing figs and selling cuttings ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
Luc I have a few you might like...

Sbayi, Zumwalt, (like drier weather)

LSU improved celeste, and Orourke (can handle more humidity)

might be able to find a few other varieties...

some are cuttings only, some are rooted plants only.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »

Adam , due to the long transit time ( unless we use EMS - still 3 weeks ) I think cuttings would be best . Since I am a total novice I trust your judgment .
Make me an offer .
Thanks for answering so fast , I can show this to my wife and lower the pressure ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:43 PM »
Adam, I am interested in O'Rourke and Improved Celeste
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »
Luc,

You may also want to check into one of the many fig forums.  You can often get good deals on cuttings or even free cuttings sometimes if you pay postage.  There are a few forums, I am on http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/  not saying it is the best but they have a useful section on varieties so that is the one I chose.

John

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »

Adam , due to the long transit time ( unless we use EMS - still 3 weeks ) I think cuttings would be best . Since I am a total novice I trust your judgment .
Make me an offer .
Thanks for answering so fast , I can show this to my wife and lower the pressure ....

Celeste will not do will for you if you live in a humid climate. It is also only an ok variety.

The best fig for you will be LSU gold. Very good quality yellow fig that handles humidity well and is very resistant to fungal attack/pests.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »
that's funny you say this...celeste has been one of the best performers for me in central FL...although it is not a premier variety, it's a solid selection, commonly found at nurseries...and I enjoy them thoroughly.

it's performance here in central FL is similar to brown turkey which is the most commonly planted type it seems...

when we get heavy rains they will split, and will become more susceptible to rotting...but I haven't seen a fig being sold in FL that doesn't do this when exposed to such conditions.

improved celeste is just like celeste but larger.

(lsu gold gets some of the poorest reviews I've heard from fig growers in my area, in terms of flavor....LSU purple is strongly favored here)

Make me an offer .

Celeste will not do will for you if you live in a humid climate. It is also only an ok variety.

The best fig for you will be LSU gold. Very good quality yellow fig that handles humidity well and is very resistant to fungal attack/pests.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:23:22 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
Should try the little sandpaper fig, not a fig connoisseur by any means but have brown turkey and I'm not a big fan but the little sandpaper fig I had the birdseye variety was pretty nice be it a small fruit but you were saying your growing conditions looked the same as where I found those fingerlimes there were also lots of sandpaper fig growing there too. If you have a wettish spot in your yard they will go nuts! Nice looking plant too. Could get you some seed for them.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:48:29 AM »
I have some perennial favourites here like Black Genoa, Brown Turkey, they are large and sweet. There is probably a reason why they are the most readily available and propagated here. I have others but lost the name tags. Could probably send 6" cuttings via EMS, I think we call it Express Post here. Can send other varieties if you're not concerned about name tags.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 06:03:11 AM »
that's funny you say this...celeste has been one of the best performers for me in central FL...although it is not a premier variety, it's a solid selection, commonly found at nurseries...and I enjoy them thoroughly.

it's performance here in central FL is similar to brown turkey which is the most commonly planted type it seems...

when we get heavy rains they will split, and will become more susceptible to rotting...but I haven't seen a fig being sold in FL that doesn't do this when exposed to such conditions.

improved celeste is just like celeste but larger.

(lsu gold gets some of the poorest reviews I've heard from fig growers in my area, in terms of flavor....LSU purple is strongly favored here)

Make me an offer .

None of the American figs are very good compared to their European counterparts, because they are bred for brix ratings at the expense of complexity. This is true of many American fruit CVS, though I can't take it away from the Americans when it comes to dragonfruit. Celeste is pretty much the same as brown turkey, the LSU types are the exceptions, sometimes--but LSU purple is still a very long way from RDB or VDB or Madeline. Black mission is a very, very good fig and might be ok in the subtropics. No matter which way you slice it, if you're growing figs out of their optimal zone, they will never meet the standard of quality as those grown in their correct zones. They're just not meant to be grown in tropical, humid locales. Their ideal climate is the dry, Mediterranean kind--places like greece, spain, Turkey, italy and even france--which is why the best figs in the word come from those locations.

Luc, you are asking the wrong people. If you really want a good answer, head over here:

http://figs4fun.com/

http://figs4fun.com/

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:48:46 AM by starling1 »

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 12:35:27 PM »
Are there tropical Fig varieties. I got down some seeds from Thailand but they never sprouted.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Dear Luc,

Organic Care of Figs in the Tropics & Subtropic
http://figs4fun.com/Links/FigLink080.pdf

Lots of good information
Moh'd

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »
I posted a while back did some research also trialing some of those varieties in SE FL. I like to add Violet Sepor to that list, its looking good so far as well.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=782.msg63209#msg63209
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »
Luc,

You can also go to another forum called ourfigs.com

Also, all the fig fiends sell cuttings on Ebay year round as well. 

Look for Black Madeira, Red Lebanese, Violet de Bordeaux, and the three Col de Dame series... Blanc, Gris, and Noir, if you want some of the top tier varieties. 

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »
Thank you all for the great info .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 07:20:41 AM »
Luc, there is a nursery in Darwin that has developed/selected a root stock that does well in their climate and imparts dome vigour to the topstock. They are called tropiculture. It doesn't help with your search for varieties but this rootstock may help your success. Have a doc but cant work out how to post it.

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 06:43:55 AM »
Hi guys,

it seems there are expert in figs here.. I have a 15 years old fig bonsai with very sweet fruits but I don't know the variety. I live in Italy and we have many good species here...

Anybody can help me?

Just take a look to my plant, it is fruiting now..

Cheers,

Giampaolo

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
Here in Portugal figs are so common, that much people don't give a damn about them. I was surprised when I saw people from around the world crazy about figs!

João

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk