Author Topic: Melicoccus oliviformis Air Layer  (Read 979 times)

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
Melicoccus oliviformis Air Layer
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:14:07 AM »
Thought some might find this interesting, I have one tree grown from seed of this Supposed dwarf, self-fertile Melicoccus oliviformis. Hopefully this air layering attempt works well as I have no other way to propagate it that I can think of, until it fruits of course.

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Melicoccus oliviformis Air Layer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »
I believe the seed originally came from Raul, interested to hear anyone else’s growing experiences of this one

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 05:10:33 PM »
Looks like these take really well to the air layering process

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:36:06 PM »
I have four trees that are about 4 years old. I got them while in Veracruz and the quality of the fruit is good.  Whether they are monooscious or not I’m not sure. They aren’t that fast.  Durian trees planted at the same time are bigger and, in fact, they could be about the slowest trees in a mixed orchard started 4 years ago.  Maybe this is too humid for them but Veracruz is quite humid.  Hanging in there.
Peter

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:54 PM »
Appreciate hearing  your experience Peter. Mine (only have one) has been in the ground for a similar length of time to yours, slow as well but not in an ideal position, quite shaded. I’ll be moving in a year or so, and want to take it with me so really happy it marcotts ok. This marcott has a section grafted onto it from another tree so if they are dioecious at least I have some kind of chance for fruit 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk