Author Topic: seedless fukushu kumquat crop!  (Read 2272 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
seedless fukushu kumquat crop!
« on: January 10, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »
The current crop of fruit on one of my Fukushu kumquat trees appears to be entirely seedless.  I must have picked ten already, and not a single seed.  This is my in-ground fukushu and is 7ft tall with a good amount of fruit that is medium to large sized for kumquats.  What could explain this?  Lack of pollination?   My other Fukushu trees have seeds, though they are in containers.  I don't recall if they were outside or inside when they flowered... likely still outside. 

This is exciting to me because it means that it should be possible to *always* get a seedless crop if the circumstances are right.  And I've been saying for years that seedless Fukushu would be the best citrus around :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:56:15 PM by brian »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: seedless fukushu kumquat crop!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
Brian, I just ate some Fukushu kumquats about 10 minutes ago.  All the fruit I ate had two or three seeds.  Some citrus varieties, such as clementine are seedless when grown in areas where they cannot be cross pollinated .  If a clementine blossom is pollinated by another citrus cultivar than it is seeded.  I do not know if the same is true with Fukushu or not.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »
Yes this is what I am thinking... I had heard the same but I have no idea how common this seedless/pollination behavior is in the citrus world.   Almost all of the other crops have had at least one seed per fruit, sometimes five or more.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 10:29:03 PM »
As for the Fukushu kumquat, when I eat the fruit, I generally eat everything, peel pulp and  seeds.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 07:54:56 AM »
Fukushu blooms throughout the year, so many of those fruits were produces when other citrus where not in bloom.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
I ate a bunch more.  Every single one is seedless.  I am going to try excluding bees and see if this is repeatable, and if any of the other kumquat varieties can be seedless (aside  from Nordmann of course)

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
my current crop of Fukushu is seedless again, as is the current Marumi crop.  I am really starting to believe these will always be seedless if un pollinated.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
Just like seedless clementine's  when they are unpollinated by other citrus varieties.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 08:46:50 AM »
I don't think it's overly pedantic to just point out that Fukushu (Changshou) is actually a mandarinequat... https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/hortj/85/2/85_MI-078/_article
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 07:31:01 PM »
Wow, that is an interesting read. I've been doing a lot of crosses with HK Kumquat this year.