Author Topic: Neem oil  (Read 2863 times)

alexO

• View Profile
Neem oil
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
How many of you folks use Neem oil for pests and fungus? Would you recommend it? Will it get rid of weevles? Sorry about all the Questions but it seems ther more I get into growing fruit trees the more questions I have.

Thanks,
Alex

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Neem oil
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »
Neem tends to work best as the second active ingredient in a tank mix with something else faster acting.  Neem provides the longer lasting follow through.
Har

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
Neem what its good for and how to make your own, this site also has other natural recipes.

http://www.oisat.org/control_methods/plants_in_pest_control/neem.html
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:37:49 AM »
I use neem oil. It does work on a wide range of insects. Don't know if it works on weevils. We don't have weevils here. Neem doesn't usually directly kill pests, what it does is ruin their sex life. After contact with neem oil they are not able to reproduce. So yes it is a long term effect, not an instant kill.
A lot of prodcuts that say neem on them are not really neem oil, but the derived active ingredient (azadiractin or something like that), U orefer to use the natural product, not the synthetic version. But real neem oil is a bit harder to get, but more balanced product, and i feel more effective. Wirh real neem oil you should mix it with very warm water and shake the sprayer often as it will tend to separate from the water.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
Neem grows like weeds down here, very successful introduction, mostly as a fast growing shade tree, it has been planted along rivers to help with erosion, and is super drought tolerant.   Kids will nibble on the berries , which I have tried, very little pulp, but kinda sweet.

Wonderful permaculture tree to have on a  farm,  along with Moringa and Leucaena etc.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »
I read that neem can be very invasive. I grow two trees in large pots.  I use the leaves to make an excellente fungicide/pesticide. 
Harvest the leaves, blend them with water, strain, and voila.  I like to use it immediately. I have messed up several insects sex lives! ;D ;D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:56:18 PM by zands »

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
I read that neem can be very invasive. I grow two trees in large pots.  I use the leaves to make an excellente fungicide/pesticide. 
Harvest the leaves, blend them with water, strain, and voila.  I like to use it immediately. I have messed up several insects sex lives! ;D ;D

Depends on the interpretation of "invasive"  if a plant invades an area killing other plants in its wake, I would call that invasive, if it just grows easily where non are growing, I call that a pioneer tree.  Trees like the Malaleuca in Fla are invasive, they squeeze out and dry up the land ( Original reason they were introduced ), but they are a disaster.   Neem on the other hand is growing where nothing else was growing, I remember driving in the semi arid areas and see people living in shacks, with not one tree.  next time I head down that way I will video this. but will post in off topic.

Neen with soap, and or oil, will do pretty good for many critter, like others have said, its not a spray and watch them drop kind of thing.
William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk