Author Topic: african peach ( gambeya lacourtiana)  (Read 4205 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
african peach ( gambeya lacourtiana)
« on: April 02, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Anybody growing this one? Any reports on flavor or quality of the fruit, I have one on the ground probably 10 years old at about 2/3 meters high, not much info on the internet however I just notice on the web is on the same family than caimito chrysophyllum; and the pic from inside looks like a hibrid if caimito & chico zapote!
El verde es vida!

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: african peach ( gambeya lacourtiana)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 05:10:37 AM »
Hmm seems synonym for this is Chrysophyllum  lacourtiana. It looks quite interesting and I agree with you saying looks like a chico caimito Zapote ha ha.
Looks to be about cricket ball size maybe fibrous? Not much info at all but I'm obsessed with African species!
There are quite a few African Chrysophyllums that look to have potential.
This one looks good I would love to hear a report on flavour.
Has yours ever flowered?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:14:21 AM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 06:00:56 AM »
Should be Chrysophyllum lacourtianum.

Some info from Roy Danforth:
Chrysophyllum lacourtianum. Both Bambu and Ngolobo (another Chrysophyllum species) are huge forest types that commonly get a trunk diameter of 1m. Both fruits are highly esteemed by the nationals here, and are also sold in the market place. The part that is eaten is actually a sticky, juicy sap that is sucked out of the fruit when a small hole is poked into one end of the fruit. The juice can be sweet, depending on the tree, and it is acidic, causing one's teeth to go on edge.

Bambu fruit is an attractive red ball, about the size of an apple, while the smaller Ngolobo is yellow and takes on the size of a golf ball. Though both these fruits are interesting in their own respects we have a hard time recommending it for people with limited space.

http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/PeoplePlaces/ZairePlants1-88.htm
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
Stuart,  my tree hasn't flower yet,  and for what I have seen related the size I'm far away as mine is just getting in  the 3 meters range,
Oskar thanks for the info,  I've never seen it before.....
El verde es vida!

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
Mine is about 5 meters , seeds came from Brazil , that's where you got your tree from Raul . Growing slow but steady. No flowers yet .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
Anybody growing this one? Any reports on flavor or quality of the fruit, I have one on the ground probably 10 years old at about 2/3 meters high, not much info on the internet however I just notice on the web is on the same family than caimito chrysophyllum; and the pic from inside looks like a hibrid if caimito & chico zapote!

When I was in Zaire 1990(now the mess up Congo) I had them & found the flavor was off note more like a bad green sapote gone wrong to some tasting like a sweet potatoish ferment sour yogur gone wrong in the tropical sun and vary from Village forest markets  to the next like fufu.  By Millitary Helicopter & transport I was lucky to see the country and saw them growing in the deep forest during our jungle warfare excercise.  The Congolese commandos consider them delicious but a star apple would be prefer as a Prime Steak.  I hope they have selected improvement from the Jungle since then.  If sources from Brazil, than I think it could be of selection merit!  I happen to be a champion of obscure fruit no one like; this one need a lot of development for western palate before back yard growers can provide a loving home.😥
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »
Coconut,  do you feel Allright?  Can you translate please?  Lol.  (found the flavor was off note more like a bad green sapote gone wrong to some tasting like a sweet potatoish ferment sour yogur gone wrong in the tropical sun and)........
El verde es vida!

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
Coconut,  do you feel Allright?  Can you translate please?  Lol.  (found the flavor was off note more like a bad green sapote gone wrong to some tasting like a sweet potatoish ferment sour yogur gone wrong in the tropical sun and)........

I guess he means that it was awful.  ;D ;D ;D

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »

They might be related to the star apple but the comparision run dry there.  First fruit I had in Kinshasa Market was in taste like a reminder of  green sapote overipe from Frank's backyard; eggy canistel like but moist fermented odor & taste not too revolting sweet (I prefer to eat it than eat Fufu).😩  Texture like barely soften avocado!  Congolese eat Fufu which is a fermented pounded manioc so this aged fruit were considered a step up in calories and flavor in my humble opinions!  A delicacies were it is found because in many place, protein & calories for the Poor Congoleses were luxeries.  Food were bland fufu grown from the bitter manioc to break down cyanide!  Locust plagues leave cyanide bitter manioc alone!  Diet is totally starchy & blant punctate by hot pepper to keep the average Congolese from boredom.  So an inferior fruit by our Western standard offer a Thanksgiving Turkey to the malnourish Congolese Population!

Other fruits in the outskirt villages five hundred miles from the capital tasted like a mamey sapote in that sweet potatoe milkshake taste but with an addded sometime rancid sour note that clear your nose like chinese mustard.  Kind like durian texture but minus the stench & onion butterscotch With sour buttermilk thrown in.  Remember it sit ouside in the tropical heat aging before It could be consume.  Green fruit immature have goo sap latex quite unpleasant like eating a green Alano sapodilla that has not ripen with milky gumminess and astrigent flavor.

I beleive that anything grown & running around in Brazil would be superior selection during the slave era or most recent intro to Brazil.  What I have eaten in the Congo will stay in Congo unless great improvement in selections are achieved before logging render extinction of its genetic base!😄
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »
Coconut, thanks alot for that accurate taste description! Couldn't be better; I guess I'll have to wait and try from my own tree...
El verde es vida!

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »
OK Raul .....3 years later now ...I got the seeds of our trees from our Brazilian friend Carlos . I talked to him a while ago his tree died and was happy to hear ours are still around . Maybe we should give them the same treatment as the jaboticaba ......water , water and more water .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »
OK Raul .....3 years later now ...I got the seeds of our trees from our Brazilian friend Carlos . I talked to him a while ago his tree died and was happy to hear ours are still around . Maybe we should give them the same treatment as the jaboticaba ......water , water and more water .
Nice memory Luc! 😄 Carlos Dream frutas, did you ever asked him about flavor of this fruit?
El verde es vida!

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »
Nice memory Luc! 😄 Carlos Dream frutas, did you ever asked him about flavor of this fruit?

Can't remember Raul , but I guess a ' friend ' would not send seeds of a worthless fruit , although several of his seeds 10 plus years growing have not fruited , next time I will remember him my age ...LOL

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »
I believe that the Gambeya is actually called the African Apricot the African Peach is Nauclea Latifolia. I just got the African Peach to plant out. Just another tree to wait on forever on for fruit.  What’s one more?.  Any tips on planting this, sun, does not like full shade, forest fringe?  Looks like it could be drought tolerant or wet conditions am I getting confused?  Sounds perfect for Florida, does good in sand, wet and dry, got that here in Florida.

This family of plants Rubiaceae is pretty amazing with all the wide ranging powerful herbal qualities.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/synthetic-drug-found-in-nature/6593.article
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:43:01 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 06:54:44 AM »
This post should be called African Apricot.