Author Topic: psidium to ID  (Read 1581 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
psidium to ID
« on: August 13, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
Hi, I got this psidium from a collector and he think it is very rare and unknow... but, would you know what is it?

When I broke a leaf, I smelled it and chewed it, it had a pleasant aroma and taste, unlike all the other 10 psidium I have ... more like p. Eugeniaefolia than the rest, and less bitter than the rest ... The aroma was interesting, similar to that of psidium longipetiulatum, but less strong, and stronger than psidium cattleianum. Definitely not any of the ones I had:
It is not:
Friedrichsthalianum
Longipetiolatum
Eugeniaefolia
Sartoriarum
Cattleianum
Guineense
Guyanese
Guajava
Australe
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:38:44 PM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: psidium to ID
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »
so... no id... this is ever more fun to me! :D
ONLINE SHOP:

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 06:31:19 AM »
Hi Huertas!
Could itbe Ps. Salutare? I have one of those and they grow really really slow, stay very low and have big leaves, like a guava. Mine just made a single stem without branches, but maybe it is worth checking. Does it have square stems at the new green growing tips?

Nice find!

Solko

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:48:30 PM »
Hi Huertas!
Could itbe Ps. Salutare? I have one of those and they grow really really slow, stay very low and have big leaves, like a guava. Mine just made a single stem without branches, but maybe it is worth checking. Does it have square stems at the new green growing tips?

Nice find!

Solko

Hi, no: for now it is an unknown species, maybe related to psidium guyanense; a brazilian man showed me a photo of the supposed fruits of this psidium sp.:

he said they should be like those; looking good!
ONLINE SHOP:

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »
Hi Huertas!

Nice find!

Solko

Solko, I will get some Psidium salutare, how is it going? did it fruited?
ONLINE SHOP:

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 04:36:46 AM »
Mine flowered this fall, just before I had to bring it in for winter. So in the end it didn’t set any fruit with the winter coming. Maybe next year... The plant is doing very well and has the characteristics of P Salutare - a big fleshy root in which it stores water and thin floppy branches with big guava like leaves that crawl around rather than grow upward. It is pretty easy, takes full sun and can handle drought pretty well. I only had a couple of seeds germinate out of 40 seeds. I think the seeds may need cold stratification or have some other mechanism that prevents quick germination. You may want to make two batches and put one in the fridge for two months. Since I have just one plant left I haven’t tested it’s cold hardiness. I want it to fruit first.
Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk