Author Topic: Carambola varietys  (Read 3945 times)

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
Carambola varietys
« on: January 10, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
Hi new member.
I have a Kari and I really like it. Been juicing and eating fresh. It's the first starfruit that I've ever had where I know what the variety is. My Kari is sweet with no tart or acid.
I don't really like tart/acid fruits and only bought this tree to make jams with but now i'm quite fond of it.
My question is are there better varieties?
How does Lara, Bell, Arkin, Fwang Tung, Sri Kambangan compare?
Quentin

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: Carambola varietys
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
My Dad in North Ft. Myers has Kari, Fwang tung, and Sri Kembangan. I can get you some fruit to taste if you like.
  Kari(orange) is decent and so is Fwang Tung (lighter yellow), but neither are anything special.
Sri Kembangan is sweeter and bigger with a bit of a floral aroma,I would rank it highest out of those but I would just barely call it good.
  I have heard good things about Arkin but not tasted it yet. It is supposed to be one of the better varieties with firm fruit.Most other starfruit get overly soft when ripe. I have a young tree ,but no fruit yet.
  There is a tree on Stringfellow road near you in the parking lot of the old Red's restaurant that some nurseries are propagating and calling Island gold, sounds like it is probably a Fwang Tung seedling better than the parent. I tasted one a few years ago but wasn't that impressed,maybe it wasn't ripe enough.
  I really like Bell(orange) , it has the best flavor and sugar acid balance,still crispy when ripe, the only starfruit I have tasted that would actually be worth buying at a stand or store. My kids do not consider it tart at all,it is just not bland and insipid like some of the other varieties. I have a few ripe ones if you want to try them. My internal refractometer would guess they are pushing 20 brix if not higher with the dry weather we have been having.  I am in Cape Coral close to Matlacha.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:56:21 PM by TonyinCC »

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
So I met Tony a few weeks ago and he gave me Bell ,Fwang tung and Sri Kembangan to try.
 Fwang tung is refreshing but not great on flavor.  Bell was good and I thought it was better then my Kari.
Sri Kembangan I really liked a lot. It had more of a tropical taste that was very pleasant.
Quentin

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
I'll 2nd the 'Bell' variety as being great.   I have kari, sri kembengum, and Bell.     They are all pretty good star fruit. But, the Bell is bigger.  Taste about the same with some nuances. Sweet.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Hart is another very good variety.   It must be let to get fully ripe, a pale dull beige/gold color.  You would not want to eat it in its white stage.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:41:25 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »
I have Kari, Sri K, Harte, Dwarf Hawaiian, Dwarf Maher, Fwang Tung and Lara. My Harte hasn't bore yet since acquiring 3-4 yrs ago as big 3 gal. The rest have bore fruit multiple times and my fav is Sri K. I was also impressed with Dwarf Maher though the fruits are smaller. Lara is very vigorious and productive in my yard.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
I agree that Bell is one of the best that I've personality tasted.
For me the sweeter and firmer the better. What variety has the best shelf life while in that stage?

Kari is great too but I'd rather have the bigger Bells.

Anybody have any reviews for Lara?
I'm curious to how it compares in both taste and texture.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
I have Kari, Sri K, Harte, Dwarf Hawaiian, Dwarf Maher, Fwang Tung and Lara. My Harte hasn't bore yet since acquiring 3-4 yrs ago as big 3 gal. The rest have bore fruit multiple times and my fav is Sri K. I was also impressed with Dwarf Maher though the fruits are smaller. Lara is very vigorious and productive in my yard.

Good to hear about the dwarf Maher...  I took a gamble when I bought it last year.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »

No "e" on Hart.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk