Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528933 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1125 on: November 05, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
Brexil Ca + B, which is carried by Helena Chemicals.  If you are not in the trade....

There are several other similar products at other suppliers.
Har

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 08, 2018, 07:54:40 AM »
I'd like to try the boron and calcium.  Any recommended product I can purchase?  Thank you.

I use Solubor as a foliar spray on grapevines & a soil drench on stuff like cados and mangos.  Less is more regarding B.  Most plant foods contain B.

Depending on your soil profile Ca can be applied via gypsum or lime.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 08, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
What I recommended is specifically to spray on OPEN mango bloom.
Har

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 14, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
Our baby mango plants have been doing great up until recently. Is this anthracnose, BBS, powdery mildew or some other form of disease? Can it be treated or no? What is our best course of action in this situation?
Thanks guys!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 15, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
This is powdery mildew damage.  Copper sprays can suppress the spread of powdery mildew and anthracnose, etc.

If you have a sprayer with a very good jet agitator inside the tank, you can spray elemental Sulfur--- only in cool weather.

Perhaps some of the live, biological sprays would work, but I have never tried those;  I assume they won't work if the trees have been sprayed with Copper in the last month or two, so it is either/or.
Har

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 15, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »
Thanks Har. Any particular spray you can suggest? Or perhaps post a link to a good product?
Thank you

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 30, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
A few weeks ago I posted here about my concern for my Cogshall.  Starting early this past summer I began to notice several of the lower branches losing their leaves.  As the summer moved into autumn those branches were completely defoliated and eventually became dry and dead. I could easily snap the branch off the tree.  I pruned the affected branches, hoping to stimulate growth but to no avail.
Now the dying branches are moving up the tree and I'm beginning to see the same problem spreading.  Any ideas what's happening?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 30, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
Could you please post close-up pictures, top and botoom, of still-alive but already affected leaves?

Also of the still-alive but sick twigs?

Is there sap oozing anywhere?
Har

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 30, 2018, 03:23:09 PM »
I haven't seen any sap on any part of the tree.
As for photos, I took a few more that I hope help diagnose the problem.  You'll see the leaves have what I think is probably a bacterial infection.  The bark on some of the branches is falling off, too.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 30, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
The missing bark is probably from an impact injury.

The curling burnt leaves are probably from Powdery Mildew.

The spotted bark....?

The angular black spots with yellow halos on the leaves are probably Mango Bacterial Black Spot.

The majority of the leaves are nutritionally deficient in Manganese and Iron.

Have you had a soil test and mango leaf tissue test (for nutritional status)?
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 09, 2018, 09:19:14 AM »
Brexil Ca + B, which is carried by Helena Chemicals.  If you are not in the trade....

There are several other similar products at other suppliers.

Hi Har,

Hopefully, I'm not derailing too much.  I'm trying to maximize mango yield, and instead of the Brexil Ca + B, I'm thinking of using Grow Scripts (https://www.growscripts.com/shop/bloomtime-formula-calcium-magnesium-boron-blend/) Calcium Magnesium Boron Blend (4.5% Calcium / 2.25% Magnesium / 0.50% Boron and 0.10% Humic Acid).  The concentrations don't look as potent as the Brexil, but I hope it will work.

I will spray copper on newly formed spikes before flowers open, and planning on using the Bonide concentrate (http://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l811.pdf) as they claim it helps with Powdery Mildew as well.  Is the Bonide a good product to use on the initial spikes? 

I'm looking for a cheap sprayer that works well for applying the Copper.  Is this one From Harbor Freight good - https://www.harborfreight.com/1-14-gal-home-and-garden-sprayer-63145.html ?  I only have 3 smallish trees, so don't need a high end sprayer, just something that sprays a nice mist and helps me get the job done fast.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 10, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
I bought a 5 gallon CAC from Exotica this weekend, and it had some black spots on leaves and white spots under the leaves. Steve cleaned the leaves as much as he could before the sale. I was a little hesitant and afraid that it will spread to my existing mango trees, but still bought it since I haven't seen CAC in stock at other nurseries locally. Black spot is removable with a paper towel and white spots are removable with fingernails (they just slide off). I applied Neem oil about 3 days ago and I still see a lot of white spots under the leaves. I left the tree in the front yard away from other mangoes. What is the best remedy?

Thanks.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: December 10, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
I bought a 5 gallon CAC from Exotica this weekend, and it had some black spots on leaves and white spots under the leaves. Steve cleaned the leaves as much as he could before the sale. I was a little hesitant and afraid that it will spread to my existing mango trees, but still bought it since I haven't seen CAC in stock at other nurseries locally. Black spot is removable with a paper towel and white spots are removable with fingernails (they just slide off). I applied Neem oil about 3 days ago and I still see a lot of white spots under the leaves. I left the tree in the front yard away from other mangoes. What is the best remedy?

Thanks.

Hard to tell from the pics but maybe scale.  A lot of his plants have scale.
Brad Spaugh

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
Mango scale.  If the scale is already dead and dried up, it will just flake off.  If it is still alive (or if it is recently dead and not yet dried up), it will smear, or leave a wet spot.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 10, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
FLMikey,  the Calcium-Magnesium-Boron product is probably good.  The Bonide product is labeled for avocados, but not mangos.  The sprayer should work for a year or so, until the trees get bigger.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: December 11, 2018, 12:00:34 AM »
Mango scale.  If the scale is already dead and dried up, it will just flake off.  If it is still alive (or if it is recently dead and not yet dried up), it will smear, or leave a wet spot.

Har and Spaugh, thanks for the positive identification. I tried to get rid of the scales and sooty mold by hand using paper towels as much as I could today. There are just too many leaves, lol. Sprayed with neem oil as well. Hope CAC will recover soon now that it is under full sun.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 11, 2018, 05:42:58 AM »
Drenching the soil, or spraying the leaves with an Azadirachtin-containing product, such as Aza-Sol (OMRI approved), will prevent immature scale and other insect pests from molting--- so no successful reproduction.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 11, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Drenching the soil, or spraying the leaves with an Azadirachtin-containing product, such as Aza-Sol (OMRI approved), will prevent immature scale and other insect pests from molting--- so no successful reproduction.

I am so relieved that scales can be controlled easily. I also found this on plantwise website "Scales are spread mostly through movement of nursery stock that is infected. Scales rarely spread from plant to plant unless the plant branches are in contact. The eggs hatch into young small scales called "crawlers" which emerge from the protective shell. Short range spreading takes place as crawlers search out places to settle and feed."

Is Neem Oil an effective cheap alternative of Aza-Sol at a higher dosage since both has Azadiractin?

AggrOnline

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 11, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »

Can any help ID what this is on my young Nam Doc Mai seedling grown from seed ?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 11, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
If you are talking about a 70% hydrophobic neem oil product, as most brands of neem oil are, then it is the cheap by-product left over after the Azadirachtin has been extracted out to be sold separately.  Then this oil has some surfactant added to help it mix with water.

Whole Neem-Oil products, such as Dyna-Gro Plant Shine, or any brand of food-grade neem oil, do contain Azadirachtin in widely varying amounts (i.e., non-standardized).  Hard to mix with cool water.  Does have other useful compounds also.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 11, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
The large black spot crossing over the midrib and other veins is probably anthracnose.
Har

AggrOnline

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
The large black spot crossing over the midrib and other veins is probably anthracnose.

I also see patches of it on the main stem, which is still green as the seedling is only few months old, would generous amount of Neem and all season help combat anthracnose?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 11, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
If you use more Neem than directed on the label, you will probably kill the leaves.
Har

DuaneC59

• Rancho Cucamonga, CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 17, 2018, 01:15:43 AM »
Hi, I'm in Southern California and new to the forum.  I was seeking the forum's help with some leaf changes on a Fruit Punch mango that has been in the ground for about a month.  The mango is on a drip system and might have been over-watered.  The weather has been in the low 70s and night temps in the mid 40's.  The tree has full sun for about 7 hrs per day. I have posted some pix of the leaves and new growth.
Thanks for your help.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 17, 2018, 08:30:40 AM »
Was compost or fertilizer put in the planting hole?

Is the root crown buried with soil or mulch?

Excess water, especially during cold weather, as you indicated, can produce those symptoms in the second and third photos, especially if the above problems occurred.

A month after planting is the normal time to fertilize.   Look for fertilizer that has 10% or so of Sulfur, 1 or 2 % of Iron, similar amount of Manganese, 1/2% or better of Zinc.  The micronutrients can be less if chelated or Wolftrax.
Har