Author Topic: Where to get a Naghal date plant?  (Read 1850 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Where to get a Naghal date plant?
« on: September 23, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
Apparently this is one of the earliest cultivar, and following the reasoning that early cultivar need lesser total heat to ripen the fruits, i was thinking that maybe MAYBE i can give this a shot. I love dates, but regular dates sometimes ripen in southern italy but not here.
Problem is, finding a named date cultivar in europe is pretty hard! Where i can get one (hopefully TC) clone of this cultivar?
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Re: Where to get a Naghal date plant?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:08:59 AM »
It's called Al Nagal and it's a native Oman variety and I don't know if this is already available for retail? Or grown commercially outside of Oman?  Isn't still being trialled by various groups in other areas upon UN FAO's request?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:11:45 AM by DimplesLee »
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:18:48 AM »
You obviously know a lot more on this palm than me.  ;D
I'm just curious because apparently it is a very early clone and if i could get some small plants to try it in my climate i would like it very much.
But if it is a new variety i'm going to assume it is patented in any way?
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »
Nope not patented I think - it's one of those old landrace things if my assumption is correct. Anyways I tried it just twice years apart from different farms - they're not as sweet as late maturing varieties but if you will be processing the dates (dehydrated, candied) it will do just fine. And yes they're really early like they flower weeks before other varieties and the dates fill out a bit faster than most. I'm not too sure how to go about importing some plants into Italy but if you can travel to Oman or know someone who can, I had a much more pleasant stay in Harat Al Sufalah (first visit) than the place I stayed in the second time around. I was in my early 20's then and unfortunately the seeds people kindly shared with me and which I then carried back to Oz with me didn't even sprout. Compared to other countries who also export dates, Omanis don't seem to be too protective of the varieties they have so if logistics and expense isn't a nightmare you might be able to get plants shipped to you from reputable nurseries in Oman?
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »
You might check with this outfit:

http://www.awmpalms.com/

They ship tissue cultured date palms around the world. Didn't see a variety list on their site, so I don' know if they have Al Naghal, but they might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!